Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I'm not sure someone living in the Juarez/El Paso metro area should be using murder stats to point out what dumps other cities are.

Chicago has almost exactly as many people (Chicago proper for crime stats purposes) as Juarez/El Paso (combined for crime stats purposes). Chicago had about 500 murders last year. Juarez/El Paso had over 1600.
El Paso accounts for something like 3 of those over 1600 murders.

I'll be the first to admit there is too much property crime and vandalism in El Paso, but as far as violent crime -- you can find yourself stranded in any neighborhood at 3 am here and you won't be particularly worried. Muggings, stranger-on-stranger violent crime is almost non-existent.

One thing that can be a problem for people who live El Paso depending on where they go is they can be very naive about violent crime. Here we can go out at night and think nothing of it. We might have to lock up our things here but as far as ourselves, we really don't live in fear.

I know there is no comparison between El Paso and a place like Chicago -- but there is a price you pay living in a very large city. It's fine for those who like that hectic way of life, sitting in traffic, living with dreary weather. Sure the money is nice but you have to give up a certain quality of living. When comparing wages, it really is important to look at city size because the big wages in other places are generally in the humongous rat-race cities.

As far as the 2 or 3 dust storms we get here, I kind of like them. There's something fresh and clean about the next morning, as if the wind blew away all the pollution and stale air. Unlike blizzards, you don't freeze to death in them, and you don't have to be shoveling or plowing your driveway at 4 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 AM

17 posts, read 36,431 times
Lol whatever makes you feel good. I can afford to have someone plow for me. Crime? That's a joke. I get the feeling that the only people you know from Chicago lived on 26th street..in that case you might as well live in El Paso. That violent crime that you fear in big cities is only in the type of neighborhoods that resemble your town. We live in the best suburbs with low crime and excellent schools. Look, you love El Paso..good for you..keep it..believe me I wall not try and take it from you. I like the finer tings in life and being able to provide my family with the best. That's not for everyone..I care that much about my family. El Paso is a nice town..comparable to some of our villages in it's relaxed feel but without the money. I will leave soon and I am glad..have fun in your town and good luck. Big city life is for the brave and courageous..I don't expect you to understand. I will keep bringing my money every year because I unfortunately have family and friends that share your sentiment. I love them..I just wish that they were smarter. Wish the same for you. Good luck in your town and see ya next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
El Paso accounts for something like 3 of those over 1600 murders.

I'll be the first to admit there is too much property crime and vandalism in El Paso, but as far as violent crime -- you can find yourself stranded in any neighborhood at 3 am here and you won't be particularly worried. Muggings, stranger-on-stranger violent crime is almost non-existent.

One thing that can be a problem for people who live El Paso depending on where they go is they can be very naive about violent crime. Here we can go out at night and think nothing of it. We might have to lock up our things here but as far as ourselves, we really don't live in fear.

I know there is no comparison between El Paso and a place like Chicago -- but there is a price you pay living in a very large city. It's fine for those who like that hectic way of life, sitting in traffic, living with dreary weather. Sure the money is nice but you have to give up a certain quality of living. When comparing wages, it really is important to look at city size because the big wages in other places are generally in the humongous rat-race cities.

As far as the 2 or 3 dust storms we get here, I kind of like them. There's something fresh and clean about the next morning, as if the wind blew away all the pollution and stale air. Unlike blizzards, you don't freeze to death in them, and you don't have to be shoveling or plowing your driveway at 4 am.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,029,495 times
Malamute, why you keep finding pics of the bad of Chicago? You act like your **** don't stink. I'm sure there's alot more bad pics you can find of El Paso. I've never been but really you should stop trying to convince yourself that Chicago is all bad scenic wise. I'd hate to break it to you but Chicago>El Paso scenic wise. Weather is close and depends on the person. But if you poll people who have lived in either place or even another city along with EP that EP would usually be last. EP is not all that but does offer low crime with little to do.

And you like the dust storms? LOL, whatever helps you sleep at night. We live next to a country and big city that has no EPA laws. Are you a lawyer or congressman?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,139,359 times
I love El Paso, El Paso is my home, I wish nothing but the best for El Paso, but El Paso is not Chicago. This is not aimed at anyone specific but more of a general statement but I find it odd that people come in here and rant because El Paso is not as good as a Miami, or a Seattle, or a Baltimore, or in this case Chicago. There is so much improvement we need to accomplish here before even thinking about becoming equals with those cities. Of course, we should have lofty long term goals but we are not going to become a Phoenix or San Antonio in the next 2 or 3 years.

Also, not everyone in El Paso is the same. Not everyone is laid back. Some people might decide to stay here there whole lives. Yet some people are going to be destined to move to a bigger city. While some of that might be a reflection on El Paso, some people are simply going to want to move on and/or away - regardless of where they grew up.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Default No apologies for my opinion.

This was my original post about leaving El Paso and if I had any regrets. I will not apologize for this because it is my opinion and view of El Paso. I know that many are in El Paso and love it..good for you and enjoy it. The one person I have been responding to made a fool of himself by trying to compare a city like Chicago to El Paso..there is no comparison. Some people are content or settlers and that is why they love El Paso. Those of us that leave, do it because we want more out of life. I offer my perspective as someone that has lived in both cities for a significant amount of time. El Paso is a growing city but IMO it needs to stay away from being the sister city and actually become a thriving Texas city. Low wages in this city and a small town attitude make it hard to bring the entertainment that is enjoyed by bigger cities. Love El Paso? Good for you..enjoy it. I don't love El Paso and that's why I moved. I love Chicago and enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan View Post
This is absolutely laughable. The notion that only in El Paso a wealthy person drives a beater because they enjoy it. Those people exist in every city. I was born and raised in El Paso but moved to Chicago due to the insulting wages here. I thought I missed it and even thought I made a mistake but each time I came back to visit family and friends, I realized that I did not miss El Paso at all..it was family and friends that I missed. If I could take them all with me to Chicago, I would never go back. I find it amusing that some think that only El Paso can offer a small, slow, hometown feeling..that can be found anywhere if you know where to look. Chicago has suburbs that have that feel but are more visually appealing. I know that El Pasoans settle for what they can get but if a family man can not find a job in El Paso to take care of his family then the only reasonable thing to do is move. We move because we care about our families, not because we care about money. I have seen how most families in El Paso live..paycheck to paycheck. That is perhaps why there is no quality entertainment here..only a small minority would be able to afford it. El Paso is a terrible place for families, young professionals and couples that love an active lifestyle. El Paso is perfect for retirees, illegals and slackers. This city has potential and could become a great city but the people have to stop living in the past and seperate themselves from Juarez. As long as El Pasoans continue to see this town as a small, cozy city..it wil always be second rate and undesirable.
BTW, people in big cities don't buy fancy cars as a status symbol or to impress..we buy them because they are better than their cheaper competition. That's what happens when you make enough to pay for necessities and have enough left over to avoid having to settle. Most El Pasoans I know are settlers and that's why they won't leave. Those of us that leave want more out of life..for us and our children.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,139,359 times
That is a problem with this forum. Everyone wants to label everything. As in, all people in El Paso are laid back, all jobs pay less in El Paso, etc etc. There is a lot of truth to everyone's opinion and posts but they do not reflect all of El Paso.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Malamute, why you keep finding pics of the bad of Chicago? You act like your **** don't stink. I'm sure there's alot more bad pics you can find of El Paso. I've never been but really you should stop trying to convince yourself that Chicago is all bad scenic wise. I'd hate to break it to you but Chicago>El Paso scenic wise. Weather is close and depends on the person. But if you poll people who have lived in either place or even another city along with EP that EP would usually be last. EP is not all that but does offer low crime with little to do.

And you like the dust storms? LOL, whatever helps you sleep at night. We live next to a country and big city that has no EPA laws. Are you a lawyer or congressman?
If it helps I actually agree with Chicagofan to a fairly large extent about many of the people you find here. However I think he makes an assumption that every El Pasoan "settles for what they can get" or isn't smart enough to leave - but surprise - some people living here are not from here at all, they made a deliberate choice to come here. If they came from a higher wage area, maybe their decision was based not solely on money but other factors.

When I came here, I deliberately drove past Chicago and yes, I've been there and I don't find it visually more appealing. I find Chicago suffocating, even it's more yuppie neighborhoods.

People can move here or stay here because they care about their families. Maybe some people think a reasonble thing to do for their family IS to move to El Paso. Some people here find plenty of quality family entertainment and find it plenty affordable. El Paso can be a great place for families, even professionals and couples -- if one likes hiking, camping, horsebackriding, bicycling, swimming --- all that can be found here and with weather that doesn't get in the way of doing those things. What isn't right here in town is a short 2 hour drive away. Beautiful camping - and you don't need to make reservations 5 months in advance - imagine that!

El Paso isn't a terrible place but yes I agree it could be better, but not everyone comes to live here or keeps living here because they can't stop living in the past or is attached to Juarez. Yes - of course far too many living here are just that, that's quite obvious. I wish El Paso was smaller and cozier but smaller and cozier than Chicago doesn't make a town second rate or undesireable.

What I object to is the notion that anyone who wants something better would prefer a place like Chicago - a city I definitely had a choice to live in but turned down and partly because it really is a lot like those pictures I posted -- windy, dreary, cold to the bone. Some spectacular summer days, but some ridiculously hot and muggy, the sailboats in the lake can make for a stunning scene but Chicago really does look like that driving in from the south.

No one claims that you come to El Paso looking for the highest wages possible, but of course some of the wages are offset by less costs for things like winter heating and plowing, parking costs -- and some of those other "quality" aspects like little violent crime.

Would I leave El Paso? Yes possibly - I'm not one who would be afraid to move, I've left here before and came back and am not from here but it would have to be a city of equal or less size, and it would sure be hard to find equal or better weather. Too me crime rate counts for "quality of living" and so do some other things.

Me -- I would not be content to live in a huge city. I'd leave it because to me living like that would be settling and I want something more -- big cities don't offer what to me are the finer things in life. El Paso has more of that.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Lol..you crack me up..love your determination. Take a stroll over to Chicago and surrounding suburbs posted pictures one day..you will thank me for it. Keep your head up kid and hang in there..stay warm and enjoy your dirt viewing hikes..I mean that with all respect since I now know that is your idea of beauty. Perhaps one day you will be fortunate enough to stay in Chicago for an extended period of time because if we are going to judge cities just by passing through them..well that 30 mile trip through El Paso is very telling. Not sure what's a better view..the dirt, the trash or the numerous strip clubs. It takes a special person to make the move to El Paso after passing up on Chicago..and you certainly qualify. Like I said before, El Paso is the perfect place for retirees, illegals and slackers..not sure if you fit one or all of these, but it doesn't matter..you love your dirt, sun and low crime. I love, according to you a cold, warzone..LOL..I'll be sure to duck while I'm searching for the small lake we have and the small downtown buildings. I'll make sure to take back a couple of rocks and dirt so that I can enjoy my bike ride in the very small forest preserves we have and I'll make sure to wear my bullet proof vest before I head out to the tiny museums we have. Nightlife? Forget about it! I can't carry that much ammo to protect myself. I'd post all of the precautions that I am going to have to take in my dangerous city, but I don't have the time. I've never used a desert weed for a Christmas tree..I might have to take one back with me to remind me when the season starts because you can't tell in Chicago. El Paso, Tx -the face of a city only a mother can love. Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If it helps I actually agree with Chicagofan to a fairly large extent about many of the people you find here. However I think he makes an assumption that every El Pasoan "settles for what they can get" or isn't smart enough to leave - but surprise - some people living here are not from here at all, they made a deliberate choice to come here. If they came from a higher wage area, maybe their decision was based not solely on money but other factors.

When I came here, I deliberately drove past Chicago and yes, I've been there and I don't find it visually more appealing. I find Chicago suffocating, even it's more yuppie neighborhoods.

People can move here or stay here because they care about their families. Maybe some people think a reasonble thing to do for their family IS to move to El Paso. Some people here find plenty of quality family entertainment and find it plenty affordable. El Paso can be a great place for families, even professionals and couples -- if one likes hiking, camping, horsebackriding, bicycling, swimming --- all that can be found here and with weather that doesn't get in the way of doing those things. What isn't right here in town is a short 2 hour drive away. Beautiful camping - and you don't need to make reservations 5 months in advance - imagine that!

El Paso isn't a terrible place but yes I agree it could be better, but not everyone comes to live here or keeps living here because they can't stop living in the past or is attached to Juarez. Yes - of course far too many living here are just that, that's quite obvious. I wish El Paso was smaller and cozier but smaller and cozier than Chicago doesn't make a town second rate or undesireable.

What I object to is the notion that anyone who wants something better would prefer a place like Chicago - a city I definitely had a choice to live in but turned down and partly because it really is a lot like those pictures I posted -- windy, dreary, cold to the bone. Some spectacular summer days, but some ridiculously hot and muggy, the sailboats in the lake can make for a stunning scene but Chicago really does look like that driving in from the south.

No one claims that you come to El Paso looking for the highest wages possible, but of course some of the wages are offset by less costs for things like winter heating and plowing, parking costs -- and some of those other "quality" aspects like little violent crime.

Would I leave El Paso? Yes possibly - I'm not one who would be afraid to move, I've left here before and came back and am not from here but it would have to be a city of equal or less size, and it would sure be hard to find equal or better weather. Too me crime rate counts for "quality of living" and so do some other things.

Me -- I would not be content to live in a huge city. I'd leave it because to me living like that would be settling and I want something more -- big cities don't offer what to me are the finer things in life. El Paso has more of that.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:53 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,258 times
I am not an EP lover (or hater for that matter) by any means, but implying that ALL EP residents are loosers for living there is not an accurate generalization.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 AM

422 posts, read 1,295,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan View Post
Keep your head up kid and hang in there..stay warm and enjoy your dirt viewing hikes..I mean that with all respect since I now know that is your idea of beauty. Like I said before, El Paso is the perfect place for retirees, illegals and slackers..not sure if you fit one or all of these, but it doesn't matter..you love your dirt, sun and low crime. I've never used a desert weed for a Christmas tree..I might have to take one back with me to remind me when the season starts because you can't tell in Chicago. El Paso, Tx -the face of a city only a mother can love. Congratulations!

Let's see...I am 24 years old so I can't be a retiree, born in the USA...so I'm not illegal...guess I am a slacker according to you??? You are full of sh*t and I thought your posts were ok until I read that one...

I understand that this city can be frustrating and that it has forced a lot of people to move who would otherwise have liked to have stayed here but give it a few years....good things are starting to happen. A transformation takes time and in El Paso...you may want to times that by 10.

Yes, El Paso will never be a Chicago and it doesn't have to be.

This city is for those who want take advantage of great opportunities and while you might not be able to see them...others can. Enjoy millenium park and the magnificent mile while we help this town realize its great potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso