Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM

643 posts, read 1,314,178 times

Advertisements

Mrs. Greenberg, I can also go on and on about the good aspects about El Paso. I will never convince you otherwise since you have already made up your mind. I think your gripe has more to do with the major ethnic group in El Paso rather than the reasons you mentioned. I actually care about this city and I know many people who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM

729 posts, read 2,068,325 times
Hello everybody....just dropping by for a quick visit. I have been contacted by a IT firm from El Paso. I can't help but being intrigued. I really doubt they will be able to match my current salary. One of their requirements is international travel. Not sure I want that.

I used to regret moving away but I do not anymore. Those of you who know me in this forum knew how hard I tried to get back to El Paso. When I visit I find that I have motivate family and friends to do things. That is really annoying. I have to say that not all family and friends make a great effort to adjust their schedules to make time for a visit. That is what hurts the most.

I have accepted my current city and still fondness for El Paso. But it would take a lot for me to move back.

Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas. Enjoy your snow. Get out and vote those clowns out of office. Happy new year too!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yeah, things have changed in El Paso.. I came back in 1990 with great expectations of the town I left in 1972. I was shocked and dismayed to find a completely changed city. El Paso is no longer the big city with small town hospitality. It's just another big city now. The draw for me was always the people. I may as well live in Dallas now.
Well the draw for me was always more the weather and the mountain and desert, the open spaces but the people were also a plus but not so much any more.

I was hoping that the military would bring diversity even though I didn't like the thought of so much growth and loss of the open spaces we had and more traffic but the exodus out of Juarez beat out the military and we've got less diversity than ever. I agree with others about the more rudeness and classism coming out of Juarez, the lack of civic pride and corruption and the traffic is getting very bad.

I liked El Paso when it was a smaller town, when you could zip from one side of town to the other in 20 or 30 minutes and people were very friendly. There are still pockets of the old El Paso but it seems to be little left of what was once a near perfect city.

There is still the great weather, and the mountain until they finish hacking away at it. Not much left of the open spaces.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,140,348 times
After taking a long trip through Central Texas, then Vegas, then Southern California, I have come to learn that the world is changing, not just El Paso. Traffic, lack of civic pride, rudeness, is not just changing in El Paso. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of central Texas. Vegas and Southern Cali were nice. But if people are complaining about traffic in El Paso, they need to see what the rest of the nation is dealing with.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 33,828 times
I'm going to side with mista. I thought traffic was bad in EP before, it is most definitely not!

I'm a Naval Reservist and originally moved to Washington DC on ADT orders in March of this year. After 6 months on orders I picked up a government contract and now I am probably not going anywhere else anytime soon. But if you have not experienced traffic in the I-95 corridor then you have no idea what traffic is. It takes me on average 45 minutes to drive 12 miles to work everyday (That's like driving from Lee Trevino to UTEP!) and what makes it worse is I drive opposite the rush hour traffic! I have also noticed one thing about drivers in DC that is different about drivers in El Paso, the aggressiveness. I don't care if only 3 feet separate the car in front of you, someone will cut you off.

On account of the rudeness observed in El Paso, I have to agree that rudeness was on the upswing before I left, however, after spending 10 months in DC, I'll take El Paso hospitality no matter how rude over the personalities of most people in DC any day of the week. Of course you have nice people every now and then. But when I used to put on my uniform inside the beltway, I didn't get thank you's, I got stared down in the most rudest of ways. I never felt so uncomfortable walking into a Subway in uniform. It's weird. But it's a problem I can deal with.

My wife absolutely loves it here! She loves Georgetown, Old town Alexandria, the malls, the farmer's markets, the wineries, the events, the diversity of everything (Oh yeah, and Ikea). And I must say that I am warming up to the idea. There is just so much more to do here than there is in El Paso but I would expect nothing less.

I will have the opportunity come October of 2012 to try for a job in Las Cruces. I would really like to move back to El Paso, but I'm afraid when the time comes I may choose to stay in DC.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:44 AM

6 posts, read 30,942 times
I am hate El Paso , and Mexican people is a racist, so want to run from El Paso and never come back! El Paso is worse place what I ever been…
Sorry, but this is true!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen-2012 View Post
I am hate El Paso , and Mexican people is a racist, so want to run from El Paso and never come back! El Paso is worse place what I ever been…
Sorry, but this is true!
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen-2012 View Post
Sorry, but this is true!
A lot of them are, especially those fresh over the border from Juarez, but El Paso because of the military history here has actually pretty good race relations. For example black-white marriages have really never been much a deal here like they are in some places. Where the neighborhoods have some diversity, people are pretty open minded, but not all neighborhoods are diverse at all.

It depends on what you're comparing El Paso to - just like the traffic, if you compare El Paso to a huge city like Houston, the traffic isn't bad but even if you compare El Paso now to El Paso in the 1980s, traffic is bad.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Some of them are... None of us here have the data or actual exposure to say a lot, most, majority.

Merry Christmas! Even to the crabs!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,136 times
Miss El Paso all the time, love the people, the weather and the beautiful mountain. I hope they don't widen Transmountain. They will change one of the most beautiful things about the city. I think of El Paso sunrises and sunsets. I think about the best Mexican food in the world. I'm in Houston now and it is so different but my husband makes more money. I will always love El Paso. I love my family too but we have grown apart and moved all across the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso