Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,968,601 times

Advertisements

Hey Cathy I could of said it would be rather BUTTE TEA FULL.. hahahahaha.. sorry kinda punny today.

I'll bet it is.. only thing I worry about is when the DAY after Tomorrow hits ( Movie ), everyone will be running for El Paso.. VA, is a polar ice cap after that. Didn't John Denver sing a song about VA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Someone posted on one of these threads that Corpus Christi is like El Paso with a beach. Is this because of cost of living, ethnic make-up, look of the city or what? I'm going to take a road trip and look at CC and several of the coastal communities as well as San Angelo and possibly Kerrville so if anyone is interested I'll post my impressions of the towns that I visit.
That was I. Well, in many aspects Corpus is El Paso on the water.. partially because of the racial make-up, The pay is slightly higher there, and there are parts that you can be standing in and not tell the difference between El Paso and Corpus. Honestly though if I had a choice I would rather be in Corpus than El Paso.. just because I like water and beaches.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,891,374 times
[quote=Muhnay;6789305]Hey Cathy I could of said it would be rather BUTTE TEA FULL.. hahahahaha.. sorry kinda punny today.

I'll bet it is.. only thing I worry about is when the DAY after Tomorrow hits ( Movie ), everyone will be running for El Paso.. VA, is a polar ice cap after that. Didn't John Denver sing a song about VA?[/quote]

LOL!! Yep, but it was WEST VA......

Old 01-02-2009, 04:55 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,717,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
We left August 2007. My dh works for the government and he got a better position here in DC. We moved to Manassas, VA. I was so upset over leaving last year. I (we) missed El Paso like crazy. I still miss it sometimes, but ever since August 2008 when we moved to Fredericksburg, VA we've all been MUCH MUCH happier. We all went through a little depression upon leaving. It's such a culture shock, even to me (I grew up overseas and have lived in VA before). You leave a place where everyone knows everyone else and come to place where they don't even speak to each other.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

7 posts, read 19,874 times
Well I left for Boston, Ma for college. So far I have no intentions of ever going back to El Paso. Well maybe to visit my family. Maybe when I finish my architectural degree, I can finally give El Paso a facelift that it so desperatly needs.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM

729 posts, read 2,069,383 times
Well back to the grind in ATX. Had such a great time in ELP that it was hard to come back. My oldest son cried when we left but got over it when I told him there were still some presents to open up in ATX.

I cant say much about the drive....9.5 hours!!! The weather in ELP was the absolute best (minus the few windy days). Almost no humidity..which I dislike most here in ATX. It was cold but it was manageble.

We made our usual rounds with old friends and spent alot of time with family. My kids were in awe when we drove them thru Trans Mountail road. I was blown away with the amount of construction that can be seen from the loop. My Ft. Bliss and WSMR contacts tell this is the best time to TRY to get in and ride the expansion wave.

We drove around and took in the sites. Yea it is desert...but to me it is beautiful. Night life? I am a family man and do not care for bars, dancing, and strip clubs. But I do care for good food and great movies. Ate at the usual eateries...Chicos (Screaming Goat is better), Taco Tote, BJ's, G2, Ardovinos (sp?), Cattleman's, and Uncle Bao's.

Ate enough tamales with chile con queso to last a whole year!! Dad in law made the best menudo...it blows ATX wannabe mexican resturants out of the water!

The people in ELP...friendly and easy going. I feel most comfortable around the raza and those other cultures that embrace my heritage. I can be myself and know that the person that I am breaking bread with understands my train of thoughts. My brother in law was raised in West Virginia, served in the army, and ended up in Ft. Bliss. He married my wife's sister and says he identify's more with the Latino culture than his own...go figure! I feel at home in ELP.

My church...my home away from home ALFC!! We went as much as we could. As always walked away with fresh inspiration and Godly knowledge to make a difference in my small circle of friends, family, and influence. My Pastor asked me when we are moving back to ELP...Soon I hope soon!

Some may say I am crazy for even thinking of moving back. Some try to discourage. But I know that what is in me is a drive to succeed and direct my kids future in a direction that has limitless opportunities for them. Whether it is here in ATX or in ELP...God is for us and is on our side. Faith..the substance of things hope for yet unseen. Job outlook in ELP may look grim and scary but all that is temporary and as long as I remain focused on the promises of God...You and I can succeed...Anywhere even in ELP!!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Funny how people turn to God, when they loose their job, or someone dies, or what ever bad thing happens in their life. I'm glad you had a great visit in El Paso Smooth.. Its nice to see you trying to be positive and not the brash jack-a-lope you portray on the [domain blocked due to spam] forum. Sounds like your Pastor wants to doom you to hELl Paso once again, with a Pastor like that who needs enemies, eh Smooth? =)

I wish I could embrace the Hispanic Culture like you do.. But I cant.. I find it rude, self centered and self important. Ahh yes I do like Spanish Architexture, And Mexican food. Proof of that statement.. Forcing everyone to Learn Spanish to accomidate you instead of you learning English in your new home country to fit in.

Smooth You always crack me up and make me smile. I am glad your out there in the world...

LED - If you have no desire to return avoid this place like the plague.. it will suck you in and squash your hopes and dreams... trap you and suck out your soul. No face lift you could ever give will make this a place to prosper.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Funny how people turn to God, when they loose their job, or someone dies, or what ever bad thing happens in their life. I'm glad you had a great visit in El Paso Smooth.. Its nice to see you trying to be positive and not the brash jack-a-lope you portray on the [domain blocked due to spam] forum. Sounds like your Pastor wants to doom you to hELl Paso once again, with a Pastor like that who needs enemies, eh Smooth? =)

I wish I could embrace the Hispanic Culture like you do.. But I cant.. I find it rude, self centered and self important. Ahh yes I do like Spanish Architexture, And Mexican food. Proof of that statement.. Forcing everyone to Learn Spanish to accomidate you instead of you learning English in your new home country to fit in.

Smooth You always crack me up and make me smile. I am glad your out there in the world...

LED - If you have no desire to return avoid this place like the plague.. it will suck you in and squash your hopes and dreams... trap you and suck out your soul. No face lift you could ever give will make this a place to prosper.

I think it depends on what is meant by "hispanic culture". I like the culture of the old SW - the people whose American roots go way back tend to be fine people -- they are friendly, speak English well, are patriotic Americans.

Some of the Juarez culture is okay, some of it isn't. Some make it a point to learn English to prepare themselves for a move over to this side.

The balance that used to exist here has been destroyed -- that's the problem. Now there is no longer a need to learn English and the attitudes have changed. It has become much more rude, much louder, much more anti-American -- but there are still good people but a lot of the good people who used to live here have left.

Soon I think we're going to get a big increase in crime because far too many are coming and there are not jobs for all. Anthony for example has a serious drug gang problem. The graffitti problem shows that there are serious problems lurking under the surface.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM

729 posts, read 2,069,383 times
Yes Hispanic culture to me is being an educated, friendly, hard working, bi-lingual, law abiding, giving, tax paying, american/texan/mexican man/woman.

I do have friends and affliations with people of other cultures. I just said that I am most comfortable with the above described. I do have issues with free loaders and those that buck the system. Some of those people are family members of mine.

As for the [domain blocked due to spam] issue...one last time. There is a person(s) whom are former co-workers or so-called friends that harasses me and other True Blue Dallas Cowboy fans. One thread got out of hand and snow balled into a issue of personal integrity. I acted immaturely and I am happy to say that I am done with that crowd. I am not sure why the [domain blocked due to spam] issue keeps coming it up in there...should I be concerned about this?

Having a personal relationship with the Almighty is not a casual, comedic, once-in-awhile thing. Whom else would a person whom is in dire straits turn to? A tree? Throwing some sticks on the ground? Spread out some cards on the table? The Sun/Moon/Stars? The horoscope?

My Pastor is my friend whom I know on a personal level. He is my mentor and whom I seek council with when I need direction. I trust that he is right with God and that he hears from Him on how to deal with life issues. The ultimate decision is mine and I will make that for my family. My family and personal life is under control. I have no worries at this time.

Have a good day!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM

I agree MAL.

Smooth.. I am Pagan, the one true religion... the one your faith took parts of to make up your own set of rules and foundations. So When I have problems or issues, I look deep with in myself, roll up my sleeves and get busy addressing the problem at hand. God gave us the power to do for our selves.

The [domain blocked due to spam] issue change my view of you, I guess thats why I bring it up because you made sure to link us to it and point out your true nature.. one I have seen in many Christians by the way.. so I am not surprised that you follow the same nature they do. Well I guess I should not lump them all into the same basket.. but I have found it is normally the rule rather than the exception.

You have a great day as well Man.. keep us laughing and smiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso