Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,313 times

Advertisements

yes Tucson!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 AM

167 posts, read 484,062 times
I left El Paso after one year as my family did not like it. Moved to Tennessee. No regrets, moved on to better things and places. - my family are happier

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM

90 posts, read 251,308 times
I used to love el paso then i moved, then i hated it... idk i still have hard feelings about the place. How can it be so gross?! poor animals at the zoo! poor kids with no parks! poor desert having ugly houses being built in the arroyos! demolishing parts of the foot hills for a WALMART! and yet i sometimes miss it maybe becouse i lived there to long, maybe becouse of family, maybe its hope it will change! BTW forced growth like fort bliss is not growth. new highways are not a solution. i think the city should stop being so selfish and ask Las Cruces for help. that town is becoming the best of the best. FIRE your engineers duh. but still idk, if they are able to do a complete 180 i may just may consider going back.
stop being so texan! did you know Denver's public art is greatly attributed to Albuquerque's public art programs, as well as santa fe. its called the Santa Fe art district of Denver for a reason. NM is like 400 miles from den its only 15 from Elpaso! OMG! sadness... if Texas is so "bad ass" why dont they help were is all that wonderful oil money?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 AM

479 posts, read 1,295,977 times
i love reading these posts to glean all i can glean. LOL I just find it soo interesting how some people either LOVE el paso, or HATE it............not so many "in betweens"................ Course that can be said about many places, but truely El Paso is kinda "famous" for being hated or loved. anyway love reading everoynes thoughts keep em comin!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
Left ELP in 06 to Tyler Tx after 40 yrs, should have made the move a long time ago, i still have family and friends in ELP who i miss alot and visit once a year, but after seeing them it's time to go, got tired of the desert, when i walk outside now i see trees, greenery, drive down the street in either direction there's a big lake, struggled when i was there, got a good job when i left, now living comfortably and happy, so no regrets.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,716,088 times
I have to say that while we were miserable in Manassas last year, we've been SUPREMELY happy here in Fredericksburg (VA) since we moved in August. It's so beautiful here, the people are really really great, the river is beautiful (the kids are already bugging me to let them go tubing this summer), and downtown is AWESOME. So nice w/ tons of cafes, shops, etc. Always tons of people down there walking around and people watching.
Plus, in El Paso if you work for the federal government, you don't have much room to move up b/c you are competing w/ soooo many others for so few jobs. Hubby was a GS 4 there (and we knew people w/ master's degrees going in at GS 3!!!) but since moving here in 2007 he's gone to a GS 9 and over the the next 2 years will be getting promotions to GS 11 and 12. So while we liked El Paso, this is the best move we could have made.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM

507 posts, read 1,661,197 times
I left El Paso in August to join the Air Force. Im stationed in Colorado and im not looking back!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM

93 posts, read 309,759 times
I left El Paso for a new job. I lived in NYC, Portland, and been in Chicago for 10 years. I don't miss El Paso. I go there to visit my family often enough.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,906 times
Default I Miss El Paso (Chico's/Ciro's)

Yes and NO,

I miss the climate, culture, food, friendliness, and most of all the lack of discrimination. In El Paso I cannot remember when being Spanish speaking was frowned upon. (I miss Chico's/Ciro's big time)

There is plenty of work and believe it or not, they are looking for Bilingual employees. (Because all the Mexicans are moving here and taking over)

I have been asked, "Where are all the educated Mexicans? Don't you people ever finish school? What do you want me to call you, Mexican? Don't you know anyone that speaks Spanish and has a degree, or are you the exception? I moved to Fort Worth 6 years ago and cannot believe the level of discrimination here, Not everywhere.

I'm sure you heard about Farmer's Branch making it illegal to rent or sell property to undocumented people. Stopping people and towing if they do not have proper documents, calling ICE on people if entering a detention center, refusing to enroll students if they do not have social security cards, raiding factories in Dallas, and just fired 40 from the Mesquite ISD that did not have good Social security cards #'s. You get the picture.

Good or Bad?
If you have a Bachelor's degree, starting pay in certain social arenas is $40,000-$55,000. Between my husband and I we are now both making twice as much as we would in El Paso with the same education. Because speaking Spanish is a great need over here, I can take the discrimination because my work is with my people.

If I could make the same amount of money in El Paso, I would go back ASAP.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
i love reading these posts to glean all i can glean. LOL I just find it soo interesting how some people either LOVE el paso, or HATE it............not so many "in betweens"................ Course that can be said about many places, but truely El Paso is kinda "famous" for being hated or loved. anyway love reading everoynes thoughts keep em comin!

El Paso certainly has it's negatives but with the kind of weather we had today, you can easily forget them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso