Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM

247 posts, read 605,021 times

Advertisements

this is going to be nice near downtown despite some protesting it..
Controversial Magoffin Neighborhood Apartment Complex Goes Through - News Story - KFOX El Paso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Eh, wouldn't want to live in El Paso's downtown. Maybe elsewhere but not here.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Like they said in the article it's a start to bigger and better things coming to downtown.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM

270 posts, read 626,349 times
6 Foot, it is very hideous looking, looks like Project housing. They should have stuck to the Historical Board's, which They appointed, advice. Or they could have built a nice city park as was suggested. The Mayor's goal to look like New York is working, Project housing in the city and Budget shortfalls. Although, they need to clean the area, it was a knee jerk action.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM

447 posts, read 1,579,436 times
I would love to live downtown also but its going to be a while before I or anyone feels OK enough to do it.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 AM

272 posts, read 1,062,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
6 Foot, it is very hideous looking, looks like Project housing. They should have stuck to the Historical Board's, which They appointed, advice. Or they could have built a nice city park as was suggested. The Mayor's goal to look like New York is working, Project housing in the city and Budget shortfalls. Although, they need to clean the area, it was a knee jerk action.
I disagree lupor, I think it looks very nice and does not look like any project housing I've seen before. I think overall this is a positive thing and another small step in revitalizing our downtown.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
O.K. i'll let Luplor and USMC battle it out since i'm in southern nm and not in EP everyday as i was just going by what some on the council were saying about how it could be the start that downtown needs to get moving .

Anything new on billionaire Paul Foster who was buying up property in downtown last year.....

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM

No battle here, it's a matter of taste and how to proceed. I believe the basic issues are growth and improvement. Some want that skyscaper look in the belief that suddenly EL Paso has made the big leagues, some dont want any change, myself, I would like El Paso to keep it's unique and historical buildings, agreeing that some need renovation and getting rid of the blight.. If people want NY then that where's they go. I also would like to see the city grow with good plans, budgets and priorities not just throw money at every fire. We are already with 500 million dollars in Certficate of Oblig future debt and 9 million dollars shortfall for 2009 and right in the middle of a recession. No problem with growth or improvements, just stop throwing money and borrowing.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM

430 posts, read 1,339,504 times
Hmmm... does it change the property values? I know the YWCA is trying to build some Low-income apartments in the NE in Castner Heights and the residents threw a fit. And of course.....there was little Melina Castro involved. I know that if they build them the property values will go down. The last I heard on it the Y said they might leave it up to City Council to decide. Uh-oh.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Everybody needs a place to live, problem is no one wants low income housing in their backyard. The other problem is the image that comes with that type of housing. Some is earned and some not. If it is well thought out, shouldnt be a problem. Find a suitable location and then have proper maintenance and of course at the first sign of problems with the residents, take care of it. Wouldnt surprise me if the council gets their hands on the projects and build it in the middle of town, so they can call it revitalization of the downtown area. There are many empty buildings and warehouses that could be renovated into very nice residences and have no effect on the neighborhood properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: