Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Today of course almost all children in El Paso are on Medicaid. Health insurance is something for a handful of people - about 30%.
Can you back this statement up?

Last edited by Bo; 02-03-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: This post was the first of 13 posts moved from another thread where they were off-topic. The topic can continue here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Can you back this statement up?
This source is only regarding adults:

Disparities in Health Insurance and Access to Care For Residents Across U.S. Cities

There is great variation in rates of employer-based health coverage across cities, from 84 percent in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to just 49 percent in El Paso, Texas.

From 1995: (when employer provided insurance was higher than today)

Fact July 1997 | EBRI

The cities with the lowest rate of employment-based health insurance coverage in 1995 were El Paso, TX (38.3 percent); Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA (45.3 percent); and Miami, FL (49.6 percent).

-- And of course in El Paso, the people having the most kids are those who lack insurance.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM

This is what you said though:

Quote:
Today of course almost all children in El Paso are on Medicaid. Health insurance is something for a handful of people - about 30%
Can you back up that "almost all children in El Paso are on Medicaid? I don't think that statement is true.

Also, you clearly said only 30% of the people in El Paso have insurance. Even if your link is accurate and reliable, the worst case statistic is the following:

Quote:
Among residents with incomes below 250 percent of the poverty level, uninsured rates vary from 11 percent in Honolulu to 50 percent in El Paso.
While an ugly figure, that is still very much different than what you stated.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
This is what you said though:

Can you back up that "almost all children in El Paso are on Medicaid? I don't think that statement is true.

Also, you clearly said only 30% of the people in El Paso have insurance. Even if your link is accurate and reliable, the worst case statistic is the following:

While an ugly figure, that is still very much different than what you stated.
Then provide me your source that most children here are covered by private insurance. You're the one saying it so back up that claim with a source.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Then provide me your source that most children here are covered by private insurance. You're the one saying it so back up that claim with a source.
You could not be more wrong in this situation. I am not, and have not, claimed anything - in this thread. I have nothing to back up. You specifically made a statement which included an exact percentage. I only asked if you could back that up. I guess you couldn't and that is why you are trying to flip it around on me.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You could not be more wrong in this situation. I am not, and have not, claimed anything - in this thread. I have nothing to back up. You specifically made a statement which included an exact percentage. I only asked if you could back that up. I guess you couldn't and that is why you are trying to flip it around on me.
In these counties, 69 and 62 percent, respectively, have commercial, private and self-pay
insurance compared to only 32 percent for El Paso County (Chart 4)

http://digitalcommons.utep.edu/cgi/v...t=iped_techrep

Apparently you are quite new to El Paso and don't understand the issues here. El Paso is number one in uninsured and Medicaid families. 32% of El Pasoans are covered by private insurance, and they are not the fastest reproducing group - for the obvious reasons.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
In these counties, 69 and 62 percent, respectively, have commercial, private and self-pay
insurance compared to only 32 percent for El Paso County (Chart 4)

http://digitalcommons.utep.edu/cgi/v...t=iped_techrep

Apparently you are quite new to El Paso and don't understand the issues here. El Paso is number one in uninsured and Medicaid families. 32% of El Pasoans are covered by private insurance, and they are not the fastest reproducing group - for the obvious reasons.
See, was that so hard? All I asked was that you provide something to back up your claim. Apparently you are new to having dialogue without getting so defensive, lol.

But no, I am not new to El Paso or the issues here. I simply have a difference of opinion than you. That doesn't make either of us wrong. It just means we see things differently.

I did notice your source was a dated 2002 report. I wonder how accurate those numbers still are. I will admit that I did not read the whole thing. I did go to chart 4 since you pointed it out. That chart states only 35% of El Pasoans are w/out insurance.

You said only 30% of El Pasoans have insurance. That is what you said. According to your own source, what you should have said was "only 32% of El Pasoans have commercial, private, or self pay health insurance."

So your statement that only 30% of El Pasoans have health insurance is wrong.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
See, was that so hard? All I asked was that you provide something to back up your claim. Apparently you are new to having dialogue without getting so defensive, lol.

But no, I am not new to El Paso or the issues here. I simply have a difference of opinion than you. That doesn't make either of us wrong. It just means we see things differently.

I did notice your source was a dated 2002 report. I wonder how accurate those numbers still are. I will admit that I did not read the whole thing. I did go to chart 4 since you pointed it out. That chart states only 35% of El Pasoans are w/out insurance.

You said only 30% of El Pasoans have insurance. That is what you said. According to your own source, what you should have said was "only 32% of El Pasoans have commercial, private, or self pay health insurance."

So your statement that only 30% of El Pasoans have health insurance is wrong.

It's an old source like you said, the numbers are most likely significantly lower now than then. 30% is likely on the high side. The reason I happen to know these things is I have "inside" sources.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It's an old source like you said, the numbers are most likely significantly lower now than then. 30% is likely on the high side. The reason I happen to know these things is I have "inside" sources.
Without a link or a source, that is nothing more than a guess. The figure was not 30% to begin with as I pointed out above. So who knows. I don't need "inside" sources to see the holes in your statement.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Without a link or a source, that is nothing more than a guess. The figure was not 30% to begin with as I pointed out above. So who knows. I don't need "inside" sources to see the holes in your statement.
I already gave you a source from a couple years ago that stated it was 32% insured in this city. You keep insisting it's much higher but you haven't yet provided a source. 32% of people (a few years ago) have insurance but there are more children being born to those without insurance which makes the rate of insured children lower. Don't forget -- El Paso has one of the highest rates of unwed teen pregnancies of any city. That's nothing to be overly optimistic about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: