Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

Rescue I was one of the volunteer attorneys in the 1980 trials - i represented 24 community groups and my neighborhood Sunset Heights. I wrote a column in the EPTIMES about it Nov 2007.

After the media got bored with the trial ( it went forever) they freely admitted to 22,000 Tons of sulphur and 30 tons of lead - put into the atmosphere each year- along with arsenic and some other nastys.

We won the trial but they used all sorts of excuses for non-compliance. They spent more on big law firms then it would have cost to put scrubbers on the smokestack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Thank God that ode to early 20th century obsolete industry is not being revived. Keep the tower up because it's somewhat of an icon (and pilots like to use it as a navigation aid when crossing over the city) but raze the buildings around it and leave it as parkland for all to enjoy. Or let Asarco sell the property to another business entity.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default It will sit empty for years....

This was discussed last year as someone had created a thread as to what to build there, and I said that the place was too contaminated, it would be a liability for anyone who purchases it because at some point, someone will file a lawsuit because they, or someone related to them, will fall ill and blame it on the site. 'Not that they would be wrong either.

To clean it up would be expensive, and it is already registered as a toxic 'superfund' site by the EPS (TXD990757668). It is like kryptonite for businesses.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM

507 posts, read 1,660,168 times
I think they should actually clean it up not matter how much the cost is and make a nice amusement park, but not sad like Western Playland, more like a Six Flags style amusement park.
That would deifnately make El Paso's tourism boom.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
To me the problem with that site is that it's not exactly in a "nice" part of town. The view accros the river of Juarez is not exactly easy on the eyes. I always thought it was interesting that on the U.S. side the houses by the mountains were the most expensive/exclusive, but on the Mexican side it's the poor that live on the hills.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
I think it would be nice to make it into something recreational. Maybe a skatepark? Not sure. I'm glad to know that it will not be re-opening. But I do hope that they keep the smoke stack. Although it is an eye sore for some, it's also a part of our history. I personally would miss seeing it there. Lipbalm is right about the view though.

Last edited by alucard; 02-04-2009 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: grammar correction

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
I think it would be nice to make it into something recreational. Maybe a skatepark? Not sure. I'm glad to know that it will not be re-opening. But I do hope that they keep the smoke stack. Although it is an eye sore for some, it's also a part of our history. I personally would miss seeing it there. Lipbalm is right about the view though.

I agree with you about the smoke stack. In a distorted way, there's a certain iconic quality about it. It's a landmark and you always know where you're at when you're near it. I think pretty much everyone else would disagree and want to see it razed.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
I thought I read $25 million to clean up the site. Given the economy, shopping is not good. Amusement park? I don't know about that...especially with traffic. For some odd reason, I agree with keeping the smokestack, but how much fun would it be to see the bugger get demolished? If an amusement park went in, what a hell of a bungee/parachute drop tower!!! Maybe the 101st can relocate to Bliss and use that as a training tower!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

447 posts, read 1,580,085 times
I never really decided which way to go with this issue but if I were them and people asked to keep the smokestack after all they put them through I would be upset. Shut us down then say "Oh but can you leave us the smokestack?" I would crumble that thing into dust and kick it up into the air...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,995 times
This is the ONLY use for the two towers:

Girl in human sling shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso