Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 72,384 times

Advertisements

Interesting story in Sundays El Paso Times. 200,000 is a lot of Poverty for a city like El Paso. All the Statistics paint a rather bleak picture for El Paso.
Unlike Phoenix El Paso has failed to capitalize on any opportunities. Glad that these writers had the guts to write a story that a lot of us already knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times
Yeah, read that article.. eye-opening to say the least.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I would have been surprised if an article implied otherwise. I've been to grocery stores where they almost don't know how to handle checks or cash --- everyone is using food stamps.

I'd guess that well over half the population is on food stamps, the schools have a high rate of free lunch recipients. Most people don't have private insurance -- something like 30% do.

If the federal government doesn't follow through with the base realignment, the biggest bailout El Paso could ever hope to have -- then I think the economy of El Paso could start collapsing.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
I agree. I think El Paso is putting all it's eggs in the military/base realignment basket. Sooner or later it will downsize and then what?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Interesting story in Sundays El Paso Times. 200,000 is a lot of Poverty for a city like El Paso. All the Statistics paint a rather bleak picture for El Paso.
Unlike Phoenix El Paso has failed to capitalize on any opportunities. Glad that these writers had the guts to write a story that a lot of us already knew.
This is what I have been saying all along.. and have been told I am wrong.. And then the few who have said so also tout how great El Paso is.. I love when I am right!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 PM

I don't know where else it can go -- with the violence of Mexico and the extreme poverty -- any cuts to welfare and food stamps and no military base expansion -- yes it would be quite serious.

The high birth rates to unwed girls who expect to be always kept on welfare programs is a serious problem.

The interesting thing about those articles -- the women lacked an education -- but also lacked husbands. It's just about having baby after baby -- confident that the handouts will continue, no personal responsibility whatsoever.

Well -- hopefully the millitary is moving in and there will be some money. The current tax base isn't going to hold up much longer.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
Well, Ft Bliss is going to expand, the expansion plans have been approved by everyone including congress and the Pres. so there is no going back thank God.

I am happy that people are writing stuff like this because it needs to get addressed and things need to change to get better. El Paso needs to fix itself but we aren't the only ones, lots of other cities need major improvements as well, but El Paso definitely has its problems especially since its a border town. El Paso will get better it will just take some time, but it will get better.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Well, Ft Bliss is going to expand, the expansion plans have been approved by everyone including congress and the Pres. so there is no going back thank God.

I am happy that people are writing stuff like this because it needs to get addressed and things need to change to get better. El Paso needs to fix itself but we aren't the only ones, lots of other cities need major improvements as well, but El Paso definitely has its problems especially since its a border town. El Paso will get better it will just take some time, but it will get better.

Be careful in making it sound that Ft. Bliss expansion will end poverty in El Paso. I said it before, the expansion will help very few, and the rest of the population wont see any drastic change. I mean when only 2.2% of the population has college degrees (20.14% national average) there are some deep, serious problems that must be delt with first.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Be careful in making it sound that Ft. Bliss expansion will end poverty in El Paso. I said it before, the expansion will help very few, and the rest of the population wont see any drastic change. I mean when only 2.2% of the population has college degrees (20.14% national average) there are some deep, serious problems that must be delt with first.
I agree, everyone seems to be putting thier eggs in the fort bliss basket. Fort Bliss is laying off people, not hiring them. And remember that any jobs created on Fort Bliss goto Military Spouces first, then Active or retired Military, then to the general population. Why do you think I left El Paso, and moved to Mississippi.. JOBS. I agree lipbalm.. with the red text a whole bunch.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Downsizing the military would be a disaster for El Paso. With the welfare rates so high with the very high levels of poverty -- and not much industry moving in --- it would be time to get out. It's amazing but this town has less than a third of the population covered by private insurance -- the rest are Medicaid, Medicare or Emergency Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso