Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM

28 posts, read 102,764 times

Advertisements

Hello Fellow El Pasoans,

This is my first post, but not my first visit to this website. Recently I have been using this website to gather information and opinions on how the El Paso public really feels about the new Camino Real Regional Mobile Authority (CRRMA), toll roads, new plans, overall politics and inevitable future El Paso must face within the next 10 to 15 years.

First off, a bit about myself; I am a UTEP Graduate with my B.S. in Civil Engineering, and I am a currently a roadway design EIT for a rather large consulting firm (to stay unnamed) here in El Paso that is completing the construction and design for the preliminary design for CRRMA projects, Loop 375 interchanges, and the new Spur 601 that will open tomorrow (sections A1, and A2 will be fully functional).

I only have 2 few questions for you all:
-How do you guys feel about the tolling of roads in El Paso and their function and why? All opinions are welcome.

-What pros and cons do YOU forsee when the CRRMA starts up construction and completes the tollways in the next 5 years, and also will you use them?

Thanks everyone.

Oh also, a big FYI to all Chuco's
Like I mentioned earlier, the Spur 601 opens up tomorrow @ 1:30 PM. There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony and all the fixings. This roadway will highly benefit the new soldiers that are moving into the barracks off LP 375, and will help to alleviate traffic on Global Reach and Yarbrough in both the mornings and afternoons. Hope you guys like it. It was a fast paced project and will benefit the city greatly even though its only 30% complete.

Another FYI, for anyone that has opinions about the CRRMA or the new tolling plan, there will be a meeting at Riverside High School cafeteria next Thursday June 4 at 5:30 PM. TxDOT and the other major players should be there to take the questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
-How do you guys feel about the tolling of roads in El Paso and their function and why? All opinions are welcome.
I have not lived in ELP since 2000 but I know my peeps and they will not be in favor of toll roads.

I live in Austin now and they was alot of opposition to the toll roads here. But they soon realized it was for the better. I have seen a big improvement in my commute and I use the toll every day.

Then there was the Railway Commuter project (Leander to Austin) that was proposed. Same thing but they will soon see that it will be a good thing.

People in ELP will complain about it but hopefully the projects will proceed. The moaning and groaning will go away and everybody will be happy.

Hopefully they will proceed with the commuter to Las Cruces from ELP. Lets cross our fingers.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
Hey Smooth! I'm one of those who will not be using the toll roads. My commute is fine the way it is. But who's to say that others will feel differently than me??? If they use it.....that's up to them. I didn't need them in Dallas, California, nor in Boston. So I'm not going to need them here. At least not with where I travel.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
I personally favor toll roads as it shifts the costs of the roads to those that actually use them. The only concern I have is what the tolls would be used for. Would they go into the city's general fund? Or would they be kept separate specifically to pay for and maintain the road?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
They typically get lost in someone elses bank account.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 AM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
They typically get lost in someone elses bank account.
LOL

I guess you're right. It's naive of me to think that the government can manage the money efficiently. However, I am generally in favor of consumption taxes rather than income taxes. If a consumption tax is excessive, people can simply choose not buy that product or amenity.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Hey Smooth! I'm one of those who will not be using the toll roads. My commute is fine the way it is. But who's to say that others will feel differently than me??? If they use it.....that's up to them. I didn't need them in Dallas, California, nor in Boston. So I'm not going to need them here. At least not with where I travel.
Very true. Existing roads will not be effected after the new toll overpasses are completed. The entire portion of LP375 starting from the Americas/IH10 interchange working back west along the border and ending up through Sunland park on the west side will be an elevated toll lane and will have various access points and exits. The existing Cesar Chavez highway will NOT be effected and will still be free to the public. The purpose of the proposed toll highway is to remove the semi trucks from I-10 and will work as a bypass for the city for those passing through. The proposed toll road will be for the people that do not have too much time for commuting throughout the day and for those whose time is more valuable than the wait. Future projections for the city of El Paso show that current I-10 and current LP375 in 2019 will be at Level of service "F". Level of service is the efficiency rating of a roadway, thus F is failing, which mean wating times of greater than 2 hours from the east to the west sides of town.
Here is how the toll road will benefit everyone:

For example. If your hour pays you $15-$30 per hour, then a $3.60 charge to avoid a 1 hour wait in traffic is worth it for you. Although you may not want to take the toll road, your decision will be entirely up to you and it will reduce the headaches of I-10 and the slowdowns at Mcrae, Geronimo, Schuster, and Sunland Park Dr. by picking up and removing traffic from current lanes.

Monies collected from these toll roads will be collected by the CRRMA tolling division and will be strictly monitored by public officials. All funds collected will be avaliable as public information, and any spending towards anything other than new roads or community improvement will be strictly reviewed.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 AM

Wow guys, I am surprised that my post only grabbed one reply (and a good one too). The LP 375 Toll project will kick on within a few months and will not require voter approval especially after the funds have been received since the CRRMA is not with TxDOT, and after last week nor with the City of El Paso. I figured THAT would be enough to get some ideas to pop up. If any of you have any opinions or ideas on the topic I will be sure to voice them to our design team to hopefully build a better road.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
Wow guys, I am surprised that my post only grabbed one reply (and a good one too). The LP 375 Toll project will kick on within a few months and will not require voter approval especially after the funds have been received since the CRRMA is not with TxDOT, and after last week nor with the City of El Paso. I figured THAT would be enough to get some ideas to pop up. If any of you have any opinions or ideas on the topic I will be sure to voice them to our design team to hopefully build a better road.
Lack of responses are due to the lack of interest in El Paso.

Bummer...I was hoping that CRRMA would interface with TxDot. Gotta buy another tag it seems!! No biggie.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Hi Ozzman,
My understanding from your post is as follows: The Border Highway will have elevated toll lanes from the east side to downtown and then somehow up the Rio Grande to the Upper Valley? No existing roads will be tolled. Is this correct?

The free Border Highway & westside Paisano seem under utilized as it is - with everyone jamming onto the I10 for their commute home. How will tolling help? I have a hard time seeing tolling being viable given El Paso's geography.

I'd use the existing Border Highway more for my west-east commutes if there was a better i10/Border Highway connection downtown or just west of downtown. As it is it's not easy to get to the Border Hwy from the west.

Is transponder technology or privatization being considered? Toronto went the private ETR route - with a private company maintaining the roads & the billing (same as red light cameras) -and loop holes in the contract letting them jack the rates without accountability to voters. Toronto has no toll booths - just transponders on Highway 407 ETR The problem with that approach is that its hard to catch and bill out of state and out of country users. I10 is major east-west highway heavily used by non-locals so the only payees would be locals.

Elevated highways should only be used when absolutely necessary. They are expensive to maintain, are eye-sores blocking vistas, and extend roadway noise further into neighbourhoods.

(As you can see - I'm, not a fan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: