Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 AM

158 posts, read 471,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I think limiting your potential renters to military personnel is a good idea. I don't know what percentage of deadbeats you will find in El Paso, but I used to work in the mortgage industry, and evictions are a royal pain in the neck.
Yes eviction of an active duty member and/or his/her family can be quite difficult legally. Also, IIRC military members are encouraged to only sign leases that will allow them to break that lease if they receive orders to another instillation or for deployment.

I am by no means educated on this topic. But I know enough to strongly suggest looking into the new rules implimented by the military to their members.

If the OP wishes to consider to rent to active duty my advice would be to do some digging and find out about all the ins and outs of renting to that population. It can be more involved than at first glance and if complaints are lodged against a landlord through chains of command it could result in that landlord being banned (from the renters side) and not being able to rent to military members in the future. Just a few thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifeandmom View Post
Yes eviction of an active duty member and/or his/her family can be quite difficult legally. Also, IIRC military members are encouraged to only sign leases that will allow them to break that lease if they receive orders to another instillation or for deployment.

I am by no means educated on this topic. But I know enough to strongly suggest looking into the new rules implimented by the military to their members.

If the OP wishes to consider to rent to active duty my advice would be to do some digging and find out about all the ins and outs of renting to that population. It can be more involved than at first glance and if complaints are lodged against a landlord through chains of command it could result in that landlord being banned (from the renters side) and not being able to rent to military members in the future. Just a few thoughts.

I've owned a duplex since the early 90's, and have rented to an equal number of military and non-military. I've had good and bad experiences with both. Nobody has ever really trashed the places, although one couple had a penchant for punching and kicking holes in doors and walls. Unfortunately, my last three military tenants all vacated after a few months because the husband got deployed. That wouldn't prevent me from renting to military again, but it is just not much fun dealing with a vacancy and looking for new tenants three or four months after signing a one-year lease.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifeandmom View Post

Even in a regular lease you can break from it so long as you give a 30 day written notice and it's within the rules. I was able to break mine because I decided to go to college.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM

158 posts, read 471,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Even in a regular lease you can break from it so long as you give a 30 day written notice and it's within the rules. I was able to break mine because I decided to go to college.
Thanks for adding that danieloneil01.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 15,338 times
I have a very large older home that has been a nightmare to try to sell or rent. A year ago I lost my job in radio and have since been going back to school. I was accepted into the Master's Program at several universities, but all require me to move to attend. I have my house marked at below what I owe on it, so I can't go any lower on that. I talked to some people who said renting is the way to go, with a property manager. When I had a property manager take a look at the house, she said I would need to put 4-to-5 thousand dollars into it because of my city's ridiculous codes... just to rent it out to someone who will probably trash it! I seriously don't know what to do. Should I take out a loan and take a hit on selling or renting the house, or should I just pack it in and foreclose? After I finish school in 2 years I will be making a lot better money, so I can make up some of what I will lose...I just don't have the money to throw away right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could really use them. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Quote:
When I had a property manager take a look at the house, she said I would need to put 4-to-5 thousand dollars into it because of my city's ridiculous codes
Don't ask a property manager - ask the city for a building inspection. Most city rental codes will relate to electrical & safety issues such as bars on windows. What ridiculous city codes is the property manager citing? The PM can give an idea of market value and how your rental compares to others at the same price level.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 PM

25 posts, read 96,314 times
My next-door neighbor lives in Mexico, and rents out his house to one set of low-lifes after another. We live in a nice neighborhood, but his tenants are ruining the whole street. We have had hard-core gang members just out of prison in there, cocaine dealers--all of them partying late at night and being generally rude and inconsiderate. When my husband asked them to turn down the music late one night, the current renter told him that she pays the rent, so she can do what she wants. It is the first house she has ever lived in, and all of her brothers have made it their hangout. Her 15-year old son is being schooled in the niceties of partying, too. The previous tenants were a drug dealer husband and a stripper wife who had all-night parties. I think the only way we'll get any relief is to wait til the current tenant (inevitably) can't make her rent and moves out. Then, in the short window between tenants, someone will have to burn the place down. It won't be me, but the neighbors on the other side of them are ready to do just that!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meow View Post
My next-door neighbor lives in Mexico, and rents out his house to one set of low-lifes after another. We live in a nice neighborhood, but his tenants are ruining the whole street. We have had hard-core gang members just out of prison in there, cocaine dealers--all of them partying late at night and being generally rude and inconsiderate. When my husband asked them to turn down the music late one night, the current renter told him that she pays the rent, so she can do what she wants. It is the first house she has ever lived in, and all of her brothers have made it their hangout. Her 15-year old son is being schooled in the niceties of partying, too. The previous tenants were a drug dealer husband and a stripper wife who had all-night parties. I think the only way we'll get any relief is to wait til the current tenant (inevitably) can't make her rent and moves out. Then, in the short window between tenants, someone will have to burn the place down. It won't be me, but the neighbors on the other side of them are ready to do just that!
Have you tried the non-emergency police department number? While not the same situation as yours, I have had great success in getting help from EPPD. It couldn't hurt. Even if you simply need to document the occurrences. Also, does that house appear to be up to code? If they are not maintaining it properly, I would also call the codes/permits office. They have also been of great help to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 15,338 times
Gary, she mentioned buying a new garage door because part of the wood is rotting, also a drain in the bathtub that needs to be fixed...if you hold it down water drains...problem is, there is no service panel accessible. One would need to rip up the wall to get to it.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

25 posts, read 96,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Have you tried the non-emergency police department number? While not the same situation as yours, I have had great success in getting help from EPPD. It couldn't hurt. Even if you simply need to document the occurrences. Also, does that house appear to be up to code? If they are not maintaining it properly, I would also call the codes/permits office. They have also been of great help to me.
We did call the police with the previous tenants, after the husband threatened mine. Things did settle down. This new bunch is not smart enough, and I worry about retaliation--we have a child, a grandchild, several business vehicles and cats...all vulnerable.

One thing we have in our favor are the Clipboard People...the ones who visit them every month, probably both POs. When we caught the 15-year-old smoking dope with his buddies on the side of our house, My husband commented to him that the OTHER neighbors would be likely to call the police...and they stayed very quiet for a week after that.
Beer bottles all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: