Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Those Americans of Mexican descent have absolutely NOTHING to answer to you or to explain to you. Sorry and please stop pushing your inferiority complex onto other Americans of Latino descent.

That pretty well sums it up. If someone wishes to remain Mexican in every way that's his choice but others don't make the same choice. There is nothing wrong with choosing to be 100% American and for those never wanting or willing to return to Mexico, becoming 100% American culturally besides getting citizenship is a valid choice.

Losing Mexican culture isn't really a "problem" in El Paso for sure since the vast majority here hang onto it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
I am 100 percent Mexican alll the way, but have US citizenship because I was born here. I love my brown skin, black hair, and brown eyes. I listen to Mexican music 90 percent of the time. I speak 2 languages and Latina because our people did not invent those words..PResidents Nixon and Reagan did...Only our people decided we should call ourselves ...Chicanos and since I was born in the 60s,,that is what I call myself
Well I was born in America in the 60's too....I'm 100%, American with blond hair and blue eyes. I listen to American music 100 percent of the time (pop,rock country and HH!!!) I speak 2 languages and am so very proud of who I am and what I am. The American culture is so beautiful!. I hate the word bigot and racist but I bet I'll get called one or the other within 10 posts......

Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Some but not the vast majority.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Some but not the vast majority.
74% of people here speak Spanish primarily. The El Paso Times recently had an article stating that 74% of people here speak Spanish in the home, English is viewed as either unnecessary or at best a "second language" even by those born here.

Most restaurants here by far are Mexican. Mexican music dominates. El Paso has to be the most Mexican city outside of Mexico.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 PM

Speaking two languages doesn't necessarily mean you are hanging and/or clinging onto another countries heritage. That is an assumption. There are many, many reasons for speaking both English and Spanish.

How many people were in that El Paso Times article that you so desperately and repeatedly refer to? Who were the people they polled? Was it a true and widespread representation of El Paso? Was it the first 100 people they saw at a campus? How scientific was the poll?

Sure, some can get by and survive on Spanish only in El Paso. It is ridiculous to think you can enjoy every aspect of El Paso, every part of town of El Paso, without knowing how to speak English. Ridiculous. As absurd as not using an air conditioner in the summer.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Sure, some can get by and survive on Spanish only in El Paso. It is ridiculous to think you can enjoy every aspect of El Paso, every part of town of El Paso, without knowing how to speak English. Ridiculous. As absurd as not using an air conditioner in the summer.

It would be even more true to say it would be ridiculous to think you can enjoy every aspect of El Paso, every part of town of El Paso without knowing how to speak Spanish.

In fact you can get by just fine, just like you never left Juarez in every part of town speaking only Spanish, but in some parts of town you could feel like a foreigner if you didn't speak Spanish.

I really don't think there's any denying that El Paso is the most Mexican city outside of Mexico and that many people here live just like they did before they came here, only there's more money and government benefits here. There really isn't any need for the OP to be concerned that too many are learning too much American culture and losing "their own" culture. Eso no es un problemo aqui.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would be even more true to say it would be ridiculous to think you can enjoy every aspect of El Paso, every part of town of El Paso without knowing how to speak Spanish.
Even more true? LOL. Something is either true or it is not. Doesn't matter though. I never said that.

Quote:
In fact you can get by just fine, just like you never left Juarez in every part of town speaking only Spanish, but in some parts of town you could feel like a foreigner if you didn't speak Spanish.
Nah. You might be able to get by in a lot of parts of town but not to your over exaggerated degree.

Quote:
I really don't think there's any denying that El Paso is the most Mexican city outside of Mexico and that many people here live just like they did before they came here
I could not tell you. Even though I am Hispanic, all of my relatives have been American through my great Grandfather's generation. Not every Hispanic is fresh from Mexico. There is variety and diversity here even if you fail to see it.

Quote:
Eso no es un problemo aqui.
Hey, where is our old pal that used to run and cry to mods every time someone wrote in Spanish

Some do shun their Hispanic heritage. Some overly cling to it. There is a lot of middle ground though. It is everyone's right to decide for themselves.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM

70 posts, read 227,533 times
I just returned from El Paso after visiting my Mom. I think what is BS is that my old elementary school teaches classes in spanish. This for those free loaders that come from mexico to the United States to attend our schools and don't pay taxes. If these kids want to attend an American school then they need to learn English plain and simple.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
I just returned from El Paso after visiting my Mom. I think what is BS is that my old elementary school teaches classes in spanish. This for those free loaders that come from mexico to the United States to attend our schools and don't pay taxes. If these kids want to attend an American school then they need to learn English plain and simple.
Are you sure? A relative is an ESL (English as Second Language) teacher. Elementary schools here do have special ESL classrooms & classes for children who speak little English. The aim is to teach them the regular curriculum while also teaching them English. Classes are taught in English and the majority of the kids are in the USA legally. The kids want to learn English and their parents want them to learn English. Which elementary school were you told teaches in Spanish?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
How about this Jamie - when people have to talk about their Heritage - "Proud to be Black - Hispanic - White" or that they are "Native Born" whatever- things that they had NOTHING to do with, I wonder if they have any real personal accomplishments to talk about. People can talk about being good parents, or getting a good education, or being good Dems or GOP- at least its something they have actually done.

I do think its a good idea to learn Spanish, but who really cares what your ethnicity you are? It only divides people.

Jamie what are your accomplishments in life that make you so concerned about heritage? By the way, one of your non- accomplishments is learning English -your title should be Mexican-Americans "WHO deny" (not THAT); after all they are people, not things. El Paso has always had pretty good race relations- maybe that's because people have other things to discuss aside from ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso