Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,812 times

Advertisements

I am moving to El Paso for a job in a month. I was wondering if the EPISD has special classes set up for children with Autism, I am looking to live in the upper valley or Westside. In all the posts I see it looks like El Paso is not great with autistic services so I am a little worried. Is there a private school that is language/behavioral based that is any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 03:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsmom View Post
In all the posts I see it looks like El Paso is not great with autistic services so I am a little worried.
This thread states the complete opposite and says a lot of great things about the services El Paso offers those with autistic needs.

//www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...s-schools.html

Where exactly did you hear that El Paso is not great with autistic services?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM

In looking on the various boards such as great schools and others on this site besides the one mentioned. My concern is the school district and her autism. I am currently in Los Angeles and services are being taken away from my daughter which I think she really needs. I am just looking to move to a school district that has special classes for autistic children, we tried inclusion and it did not work. I want to make sure I from the beginning are setting her up to succeed so I want to make sure I am in the right school district.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 57,443 times
EPISD is BIG on inclusion but you have a say in it. They have several types of SPED classes but I don't know if there are separate classes for Autistic students. I suggest you call EPISD SPED department and ask them for specifics. I know they have increased SPED training for regular classroom teachers on Autism.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM

121 posts, read 402,412 times
Well public schools are worthless most anywhere in the nation, and El Paso is no exception, but EPISD is the slightly least terrible one in the county.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsmom View Post
I am moving to El Paso for a job in a month. I was wondering if the EPISD has special classes set up for children with Autism, I am looking to live in the upper valley or Westside. In all the posts I see it looks like El Paso is not great with autistic services so I am a little worried. Is there a private school that is language/behavioral based that is any better?
I live in El Paso and i have been here for almost 3yrs and i will be honest with you. The school system here does not provide all of the resources your autistic child will need. I am too a mother of an autistic child and i have had nothing but headaches from this school system. They dont even offer the para-educators (people who are assigned to sit w/your child in their classroom) My husband and I are fighting desperately to move so that our child will have all of the resources he needs.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,151 times
I lived and worked in el paso (episd), and moved to dallas. The situation with public education is informing yourself(idea-federal mandates in public education) as a diligent parent. From episd to a much larger city, like dallas, the squeeky wheel gets the oil (involved parents). Only after working in the schools for 17 years, i have found that parents are the only advocates (too many good educators leave the profession) for the child. The federal law has too many holes and allocations for schools to do what they actually do considering funds and ethical choices with those funds. Be smart, if you want to stick to public educaiton, be present and inform yourselves in school law (fape). I assess for developmental disorders.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM

If you had the means to visit and travel, i would strongly recommend the callier center for language disorders. They have a top notch program for children with language disorders that i have not seen a close comparison to theirs. They have a 1:1 speech and language graduate student intern ready to graduate with a masters in speech working with a child. The work is great and est $12k a year for a half day program. It is supported by the ut southwest medical school here in dallas. This is the only private program i would recommend that goes one step beyond discrete trial method or aba instruction (typical public school instructional methods). Good luck

Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 PM

If you have no plans to go anywhere other than el paso, find yourself a good speech and language pathologist. Request extensive and ongoing therapy that will support language development. When working with your child do what the professionals do at home with following best practices in the research cosidering the basic principles of discrete trial learning in your home.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the help. I did call EPISD SPED and that was not helpful. I think we may home school and find therapist to work with our child. If anyone has any recommendations on good therapist for ABA, speech and OT I would appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso