Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

You guys (malamute-fake-southern bliss sm)are making a false and somewhat foolish assumption and that is that someone who goes to church does not go to bars or strip clubs as if they were mutually exclusive. Sure the priests don't go because they can have young boys without having to buy them a drink or peanuts but there is no correlation between going to church and drinking or womanizing.

They may not be that public about it - but they drink and sex as much as anyone else.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
Default Yeah Atheism

I would love to join a group. I want someone to be able to talk to about raising an atheist child and the struggles of living in a Christian country.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek22 View Post
I would love to join a group. I want someone to be able to talk to about raising an atheist child and the struggles of living in a Christian country.
wow this must be a horrible time of the year for you? everybody else happy and in the spirit of giving...peace and goodwill...a sense of newness.

what do you guys do this time of the year? just curious.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM

447 posts, read 1,579,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True - El Paso probably has more strip clubs and certainly has more bars than it has churches. Religion isn't big here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
You guys (malamute-fake-southern bliss sm)are making a false and somewhat foolish assumption and that is that someone who goes to church does not go to bars or strip clubs as if they were mutually exclusive. Sure the priests don't go because they can have young boys without having to buy them a drink or peanuts but there is no correlation between going to church and drinking or womanizing.

They may not be that public about it - but they drink and sex as much as anyone else.
Huh? Where did I say I didn't think they went to both or anything about correlation? I was trying to disagree with him saying religion isn't big here in El Paso or that there are more strip clubs than churches. I never said people don't do both. Trust me I know they do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
wow this must be a horrible time of the year for you? everybody else happy and in the spirit of giving...peace and goodwill...a sense of newness.

I enjoy the this commercial holiday just like the others and am always happy.

But keeping this about El Paso (before this is shut down) I hope the group and everyone does well.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 PM

19 posts, read 94,955 times
There is a Unitarian Universalist congregation on Byron in Central El Paso.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Make sure nativity scenes don't get put up.

El Paso is far from a religious kind of city like you see with others where nudie bars are fought and barred. No way does El Paso compare with the Bible belt towns where you wouldn't see clubs like we have here and as many ads plastered all over for them. Here no one blinks an eye over them.

There are people here who go to church but that's not as big here as many other cities.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM

447 posts, read 1,579,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Make sure nativity scenes don't get put up.

El Paso is far from a religious kind of city like you see with others where nudie bars are fought and barred. No way does El Paso compare with the Bible belt towns where you wouldn't see clubs like we have here and as many ads plastered all over for them. Here no one blinks an eye over them.

There are people here who go to church but that's not as big here as many other cities.
I know this isn't hard proof but...

Google results for "church"

CHURCH - Google Maps

There are TONS of churches here and ALFC on the eastside is huge and is the 31st fastest growing church in the country. This is why I disagreed with this earlier. It is a religious city and they do tolerate the clubs but they're not totally neutral. Remember them protesting downtown to O'Rourke?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeguy View Post
I know this isn't hard proof but...

Google results for "church"

CHURCH - Google Maps

There are TONS of churches here and ALFC on the eastside is huge and is the 31st fastest growing church in the country. This is why I disagreed with this earlier. It is a religious city and they do tolerate the clubs but they're not totally neutral. Remember them protesting downtown to O'Rourke?
There are some churches and religious people here - but not like other cities. I think getting back to the OP's question, El Paso is perfect for atheists, they won't find too much religion here, but like anywhere, they will have to put up with a little.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 AM

10 posts, read 17,930 times
Well, didn't expect this kind of response in a city drowning in churches. Thanks for the info you guys. And now onto my replies. Sorry it took me so long! I've been moving into my new apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I haven't heard of any local atheist groups. El Paso is about 80% Hispanic which means about 80% Catholic - though most haven't been to church for years. Non-denominational protestant congregations are higher profile (this is still Texas). Please post if you find something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereinutep View Post
Im down for some atheism, where do I sign up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek22 View Post
"El Paso Atheists" group on Facebook. There's also one for UTEP students. Yay! Hopefully a meetup group soon.

Quote:
wow this must be a horrible time of the year for you? everybody else happy and in the spirit of giving...peace and goodwill...a sense of newness. what do you guys do this time of the year? just curious.
I ADORE Christmas. My husband calls me Santa's daughter. Hah. My family celebrates the spirit of giving, community, family closeness and a bit of the commercial aspect of it all. And I have zero problem saying Merry Christmas though I try not to say it to people who don't celebrate Christmas. Just because it has roots in a religion doesn't mean it hasn't become something else for many, many people. Much like marriage. I am curious to know why you think we would be grumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew915 View Post
There is a Unitarian Universalist congregation on Byron in Central El Paso.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Moderator cut: orphaned

I hope everyone has a happy holidays! And OMG IT'S COLD!

Last edited by Bo; 12-24-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the posts you were replying to were deleted

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainelle View Post

I ADORE Christmas. My husband calls me Santa's daughter. Hah. My family celebrates the spirit of giving, community, family closeness and a bit of the commercial aspect of it all. And I have zero problem saying Merry Christmas though I try not to say it to people who don't celebrate Christmas. Just because it has roots in a religion doesn't mean it hasn't become something else for many, many people. Much like marriage. I am curious to know why you think we would be grumpy.

Well I guess Santa was invented for those who want an alternative reason to celebrate Jesus Christ's birthday. That is the problem with society these days...the original meaning has "become something else for many, many people". The original focus has shifted to a fake substitute...Godless. Most Pagans, Druids, Witches, Atheists that I have run into are always pissed off about Christmas. My assumption about you was incorrect and I do apologize.

As for me and my family we Love the Lord with ALL of our heart. And today and tomorrow this is our reason for Christmas:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: