Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I am not sure what triggered your reply. To be clear, I did not include any political stance in my original post. Also, if you look at my post history, I am a very big supporter of the police and border patrol. That being said, I still stand by my statement that it is hard to justify shooting a 15 year old teenager.

Obviously a teenager is capable of violence. I did not say otherwise. In my post, I did not take sides or post my views on this specific incident. My post was general in nature. I think it is hard to justify shooting a minor. Would I hesitate if the minor was committing a violent crime? Nope. That doesn't contradict my post though.

This is just an ugly situation. A lot of people seem to care more about their political views, immigration views, or their occupation than the fact that a teenage boy was killed. Just go to any news site and read the comments. It is disgusting.
How did politics or immigration get into this as far as my post? It has nothing to do with the comment I made in response to your post.

That is exactly the point I was attempting to make--the part of your comment that I put in bold. I don't see it as being any worse because the rock thrower was 15 years old. He could have killed the agent, regardless of what his age was.

I agree that this is an ugly situation, but I also would not want to be a BP agent, with the daily dangers they face.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-09-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 PM

40 posts, read 97,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
In any circumstance, it is very hard to justify shooting a teenage boy.
It is sad but not hard to justify. Teenagers make bad choices. I know because I made plenty of them. I however knew better than to throw rocks at an armed officer here or in Mexico because I knew what the consequences could be. If the BP's account is true we need to stand behind them. They have a tough job and unfortunately sometimes they need to defend themselves.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
How did politics or immigration get into this as far as my post? It has nothing to do with the comment I made in response to your post.

That is exactly the point I was attempting to make--the part of your comment that I put in bold. I don't see it as being any worse because the rock thrower was 15 years old. He could have killed the agent, regardless of what his age was.

I agree that this is an ugly situation, but I also would not want to be a BP agent, with the daily dangers they face.
I agree. It amazes me that someone thinks that just because someone works in border patrol that they should just stand there and allow themselves to be killed.

I wonder if the agent involved was one of the guys I saw in that area the other day - on bikes - I saw 3 young guys on bikes who obviously were working for the border patrol. At the time and it was just last Thursday, I thought someone had to be nuts to put those guys out there like that, make them easy targets, almost sitting ducks.

It's also incredible to me that the family knew their precious child was "playing" in that area of town which is known to be very dangerous and controlled by gangs and allowed him to go on "playing" there. And where were the Juarez police-military-federales while their kids were trying to kill the border agents with their rocks? Apparently standing idly by but they sure jumped into action when the "right" time came.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 PM

276 posts, read 805,556 times
[sarcasm]No malamute, they were harmless rocks. No one has ever been stoned to death.. they were just innocent children running and playing. Naw, throwing a rock at a federal agent while doing his duty is not a crime, its not assault with the intent to maim or kill. Naw it was harmless fun. Mista does not want enforcement.. he wants understanding and cuddling. All the boy really needed was a hug and a swat on the butt and told to not do it again. I am sure that would of sent him on his way changed and forever a law abiding citizen. Too bad we will never know.[/sarcasm]

Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Quote:
I just wanted you to know I was talking in general and not speaking on behalf of my politics or views. I wasn't making a comment on your post.

Quote:

This is why I did not want to comment on the specifics. Could there have been a better way to handle this? I really don't know. You can see from the comments that followed yours that some people speak on behalf of their politics or occupation before speaking as a regular human being. I am not saying the shooter was right or wrong. I'm just speaking in general and saying it is really hard to digest shooting a rock wielding teenager.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM

276 posts, read 805,556 times
Ignore list rock.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
[sarcasm]No malamute, they were harmless rocks. No one has ever been stoned to death.. they were just innocent children running and playing. Naw, throwing a rock at a federal agent while doing his duty is not a crime, its not assault with the intent to maim or kill. Naw it was harmless fun. Mista does not want enforcement.. he wants understanding and cuddling. All the boy really needed was a hug and a swat on the butt and told to not do it again. I am sure that would of sent him on his way changed and forever a law abiding citizen. Too bad we will never know.[/sarcasm]
I thought I was on your ignore list? Maybe you saw my post from a quote?

Either way, you clearly don't have a handle on what I was saying. I clearly did not post any opinion of this situation. I only made a general comment about a teenager being shot. I never made any comments about what is or isn't a crime. I never made any comments about enforcement. So you were once again off base.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times
Assaulting a federal officer is no petty crime. Wether you are 15, 25 or 35, American or Mexican. There are consequences to those actions.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
I think anyone who believes the border agent should have just sat there and allowed these thugs to throw rocks at him, should practice what they preach and go down to that spot in a uniform of some kind and just sit and wait for whatever happens.

It's not as though anyone living in El Paso can really be unaware of the fact that Juarez is now an extremely violent city.

It amazes me how no one seems to care at all about the deaths that took place there today or the other deaths of yesterday, and the day before.

Not even the brutal killing of the musician - rather famous and loved seem to bother anyone. Talk about making this political.

Fallece reconocido catedrático por una golpiza tras asalto | Local | nortedigital.mx (http://nortedigital.mx/noticias/local/7126/ - broken link)

Interesting what is mentioned in that article:

La diputada federal María Antonieta Pérez lamentó la muerte del académico, quien fuera su maestro en el Tec de Juárez, por lo que acompañó a Gerardo Valdez, hijo del fallecido, a una conferencia de prensa en la que se informó que las autoridades no han empezado aún las indagatorias a pesar de que ya existe una denuncia.

"Lo más lamentable es que el expediente sobre la muerte de este distinguido juarense siga ahí sin que autoridad alguna investigue", señaló la legisladora y agregó que en el actual sistema de justicia impera la impunidad. Se ha convertido en una puerta giratoria a favor de los delincuentes, expresó.

You might say that *some* lives are more important than others. Obviously this young gang thug's life was one of the important lives, this distinguished man's life and brutal death matters not at all. Politics you know.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yes. And now Mexico has its collective nose out of joint because an agent was defending himself. I'm sick of the US having to bend over backwards and tolerate Mexico's crap!

It's more than high time it came to a stop--and that Mexico realizes that we mean business--and that we have every right in the world to both defend our borders--AND our agents!
Out of the many thousands of deaths in recent years in Juarez, there is finally one that matters to the Mexican authorities. Not even the innocent young women and girls mattered to them much. There was no outrage, no demand for investigations. Suddenly - they leap into action over this rock throwing thug's demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso