Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Well, guess he blew his chance of becoming the Republican nominee for President. The Republican base only accepts people who believe Obama is our arch enemy.

In leaked note, Jon Huntsman praised President Obama as a ‘remarkable leader’ - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110415/ts_yblog_theticket/in-leaked-note-jon-huntsman-praised-president-obama-as-a-remarkable-leader - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
huntsman and romney are too 'agreeable' to slog it through a R primary this cycle.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
I said from the start (even before this), Hunstman would be the most formidable challenger to Obama as he would have the most appeal to those in the middle. However, he is too moderate to win a Primary. Also the fact he is an intellectual wouldn't help.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Also the fact he is an intellectual wouldn't help.
An intellectual? I think simply being intelligent is a cause for concern among the Republican base. Huntsman is doomed.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I said from the start (even before this), Hunstman would be the most formidable challenger to Obama as he would have the most appeal to those in the middle. However, he is too moderate to win a Primary. Also the fact he is an intellectual wouldn't help.
i think you are right. I don't think his support for Obama is anything to judge his chances on: what would one expect a person to say about his boss? He is a jerk, get real guys. As for his being an intellectual, I am a little surprised you would make such a statement. I know you are a die in the wool liberal, but you usually don't make such catty comments.

Nita

Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i think you are right. I don't think his support for Obama is anything to judge his chances on: what would one expect a person to say about his boss? He is a jerk, get real guys. As for his being an intellectual, I am a little surprised you would make such a statement. I know you are a die in the wool liberal, but you usually don't make such catty comments.

Nita
It wasn't meant to be a catty comment. For someone who isn't well known to succeed, they are going to need to make a name for themselves. They are going to need to be able to excite the base. Hunstman isn't the rah rah rah bomb thrower that excites the base, he has generally takes a more reasoned, intellectual approach to things. That isn't going to fly with the tea party and the base. Not to mention his stances on a few issues, pollution, Civil Unions, etc won't fly with them either.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
It wasn't meant to be a catty comment. For someone who isn't well known to succeed, they are going to need to make a name for themselves. They are going to need to be able to excite the base. Hunstman isn't the rah rah rah bomb thrower that excites the base, he has generally takes a more reasoned, intellectual approach to things. That isn't going to fly with the tea party and the base. Not to mention his stances on a few issues, pollution, Civil Unions, etc won't fly with them either.
Smash, actually I should have addressed my comments to Unidentified, not you, though it does sound like you are saying "no intellectual could attract Republicans.

Nita

Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Smash, actually I should have addressed my comments to Unidentified, not you, though it does sound like you are saying "no intellectual could attract Republicans.

Nita
Being an intellectual on the GOP side makes it tougher to rally the base especially when you aren't that well known. Just look at the type of talk and speeches the garner the most support and rally the base, that simply isn't Hunstman style.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, guess he blew his chance of becoming the Republican nominee for President. The Republican base only accepts people who believe Obama is our arch enemy.

In leaked note, Jon Huntsman praised President Obama as a ‘remarkable leader’ - Yahoo! News

He must also like playing golf every day and telling people who want to see gas prices go down to 'trade in their vehicles'. What Kool-Aid is he drinking? I don't know what he sees in Trader Barry to suggest the idea of him being a remarkable leader, which he is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections