Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,178,115 times

Advertisements

Good article:

Ron Paul Rising - Robert Costa - National Review Online

Should tell those of you who think he has no chance to think again.

"Beyond the pockets of Paul supporters popping up in local GOP organizations, polls show the Texan ready to rise. A Gallup survey late last month had him at 10 percent, seven points behind frontrunner Mitt Romney. A CNN poll released that same week had him at 12 percent, just three behind Romney."

“I think the country is in big trouble if we don’t shift our policies,” he says. “But replacing a conventional Democrat with a conventional Republican will not change anything. The attitude toward the Federal Reserve will stay the same, as will the attitude toward entitlements. People will still attempt to simply tinker around the edges.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,175,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Good article:

Ron Paul Rising - Robert Costa - National Review Online

Should tell those of you who think he has no chance to think again.

"Beyond the pockets of Paul supporters popping up in local GOP organizations, polls show the Texan ready to rise. A Gallup survey late last month had him at 10 percent, seven points behind frontrunner Mitt Romney. A CNN poll released that same week had him at 12 percent, just three behind Romney."

“I think the country is in big trouble if we don’t shift our policies,” he says. “But replacing a conventional Democrat with a conventional Republican will not change anything. The attitude toward the Federal Reserve will stay the same, as will the attitude toward entitlements. People will still attempt to simply tinker around the edges.”

Romney isn't going to get the nod either. I know how much you are hoping,but when the candidate pool shinks you will not see him there I do not think. We will see. No one can predict exactly what will happen now. Let us see who gets in the race.

Nita

Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,203,609 times
Ron Paul is not electable. Mitt Romney is. That is what we need to focus on here or we will be stuck with Obama for four more, long years.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM

865 posts, read 679,037 times
I can't avoid Ron Paul wherever I go. Either a sign, bumper stickers, tee shirts from people of all groups and ages. It's everywhere, and I travel a ton.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,055,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Ron Paul is not electable. Mitt Romney is. That is what we need to focus on here or we will be stuck with Obama for four more, long years.
Why do you think that Ron Paul is not electable?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,071,235 times
Better than Weiner rising....
at least in a political sense.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,999,479 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney is the GOP equivalent of Obama.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I have direct experience in a very similar position where a candidate considered "unelectable" or not having a chance actually beat out two other candidates that were very well known to the state and considered moderates of their parties, yet people considered them to be very very similar and didn't see a difference between them.

It was the year 2000 and it was the Governor Election in the state of Minnesota, where I grew up. I was 17.

I remember asking people who would win, and I liked Jesse Ventura because at 17 years old I found the idea of a former WWF wrestler and former Navy SEAL winning the election to be entertaining. Everyone said Ventura had no chance. They said "I like some of his ideas but I don't think he'll win". Guess what. He had a HUGE youth movement. The older "adults" voted Norm Coleman and Skip Humphrey almost equally, both well respected Minnesotans of good history with the state of MN, and many others didn't see a point in voting because they were happy with either one, or they didn't like either one....because they were the same.

But sure enough, Jesse Ventura, with his movement, won the election. Anything is possible. Especially when you have Obama and Romney acting as the same candidates offering the same resolutions to the same issues.

Ron Paul will be the X-Factor, and it would be foolish to underestimate his movement. The internet can reach anyone and everyone.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,294,055 times
I don't understand how anyone who considers themselves a conservative could vote for Romney...

Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I don't understand how anyone who considers themselves a conservative could vote for Romney...
Because most people don't understand what conservatism means. They think it means "voting against Obama".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections