Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that same-sex attractions are similar to alcoholism?
Yes 8 8.70%
No 79 85.87%
Not sure 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times

Advertisements

From the book, On My Honor by Rick Perry, 2008:

Quote:
"Even if an alcoholic is powerless over alcohol once it enters his body, he still makes a choice to drink. And, even if someone is attracted to a person of the same sex, he or she still makes a choice to engage in sexual activity with someone of the same gender."
Rick Perry Compared Homosexuality To Alcoholism, Condemned ‘Radical Gays’ For Promoting ‘Gay Lifestyle’ | ThinkProgress

I'm not sure whether to think of his statement as ignorant or bizarre - or both.

If anyone here agrees with him, please explain why. I'm sure it will lead to an intellectually stimulating discussion. (Ha.)

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 08-26-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From the book, On My Honor by Rick Perry, 2008:

I'm not sure whether to think of his statement as ignorant or just bizarre. Maybe it's both.

If anyone here agrees with him, please explain why. I'm sure it will lead to an intellectually stimulating discussion. (Ha.)

I see similarities, and I've made mention of them in past posts.

Since I came to the same conclusion independently of Gov. Perry, there may just be something to this.

I'll see if I can dig mine up and we can compare notes.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion.

Here's one from a few months back...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t18962660.html

Predisposition alone doesn't make one hair white or black.

Last edited by momonkey; 08-26-2011 at 12:26 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,964,309 times
*chuckle*

If you want an honest answer, why did you choose to track who votes?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,923,633 times
same sex attraction is inherent.. not an affliction..
but sex in general can be an addiction whether it's gay or straight..
what you find sexy is your sexuality.. you can be a gay man and marry a woman and pop out a dozen kids.. it doesn't make you straight or take away the hard on you get everytime a hot dude walks by..
thinking that someone should "control" these inherent sexual attractions is torture and abuse of the highest order. If there are two consenting adults that share the same attractions towards one another how they express it is their own business and perfectly healthy and normal in human sexuality. What is UN-natural is imposing of strict guidlines of sexual activity on the masses. who gets to do that? and to those people i would have to ask.. who do you think you are? worry about your own sex life or lackthereof... and quit concerning yourself with what others do, how they feel, and their own individual destiny in this life.. the universe governs the collective..we are all pieces that fit together to make a puzzle that is humanity.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,079,307 times
My take is Mr Perry is in denial.

He really should accept who/what he is and live his life.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
same sex attraction is inherent.. not an affliction..
but sex in general can be an addiction whether it's gay or straight..
what you find sexy is your sexuality.. you can be a gay man and marry a woman and pop out a dozen kids.. it doesn't make you straight or take away the hard on you get everytime a hot dude walks by..
thinking that someone should "control" these inherent sexual attractions is torture and abuse of the highest order. If there are two consenting adults that share the same attractions towards one another how they express it is their own business and perfectly healthy and normal in human sexuality. What is UN-natural is imposing of strict guidlines of sexual activity on the masses. who gets to do that? and to those people i would have to ask.. who do you think you are? worry about your own sex life or lackthereof... and quit concerning yourself with what others do, how they feel, and their own individual destiny in this life.. the universe governs the collective..we are all pieces that fit together to make a puzzle that is humanity.

"thinking that someone should "control" these inherent sexual attractions is torture and abuse of the highest order."

So I DON"T have to control my inherent sexual attractions?

If I had only known this when I was in high school, I could have nailed Meme Murphy in the hallway between classes and boinked Sue LaLonde in social studies.

Get real!

We all control our sexual attractions.

If we didn't, nothing would ever get done and we would all live in a giant ghetto full of unwed mothers on welfare with kids who never met their father. If I wanted that, I would move to Detroit.

"If there are two consenting adults that share the same attractions towards one another how they express it is their own business and perfectly healthy and normal in human sexuality."

From the book, it seems Gov. Perry agrees with your basic premise, but he stops short of normalizing unnatural sex. I agree.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,079,307 times
Another person that doesn't understand the difference between attractions and actions.
If I went ahead with my attractions I would have been a Dad way too young, never the less I was attracted to some of the girls I was around.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"thinking that someone should "control" these inherent sexual attractions is torture and abuse of the highest order."

So I DON"T have to control my inherent sexual attractions?

If I had only known this when I was in high school, I could have nailed Meme Murphy in the hallway between classes and boinked Sue LaLonde in social studies.

Get real!

We all control our sexual attractions.

If we didn't, nothing would ever get done and we would all live in a giant ghetto full of unwed mothers on welfare with kids who never met their father. If I wanted that, I would move to Detroit.

"If there are two consenting adults that share the same attractions towards one another how they express it is their own business and perfectly healthy and normal in human sexuality."

From the book, it seems Gov. Perry agrees with your basic premise, but he stops short of normalizing unnatural sex. I agree.
controling our sexual attractions in the form of NEVER to be expressed EVER!
you are confusing sexual attractions in instances over what you inherently feel.. I would hope you've eventually had sex with someone you were sexually attracted to..and it was pleasurable and meaningful? why does someone else get to dictate this ability to someone else because they feel that towards someone of the same sex????

wooooosh... that's the sound of the point going over your head and bringing it back to YOU and YOUR sexuality when this topic isn't about YOU it's about people who have same sex attractions and how and when they go about engaging in sexual conduct.. two people banging in social studies class gay or straight is unrelated to two people who are attracted to one another biologically and sharing a private intimate moment..

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Another person that doesn't understand the difference between attractions and actions.
If I went ahead with my attractions I would have been a Dad way too young, never the less I was attracted to some of the girls I was around.
those girls had to be attracted back to you...
the point is two people of the same sex being attracted to one another, where the sex doesn't produce tangible "mistakes"
I suppose it's safe to say that same sex attractions exist and are normal and healthy and such actions are governed by different sets of rules for making decisions on whether to do it or not..
If the only thing holding you back back then was getting her knocked up.. imagine if you were attracted to Jim or Bill.. and it could just be a lovely connection and you both live happily ever after or walk away with smiles on your faces? rules for engagement are different in that case wouldn't u say?
to say NOT TO DO IT even if that is what you feel... what grounds? if that is a natural consentual connection you feel? something logical and sensible has to be applied here rather than religion or you just don't like the idea therefore nobody should be doing it...

Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
He should make the choice to never have sex again. Live the principle Perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections