Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,040,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
baby is the consequence of sex. That's how babies are made, you know? Don't want to deal with the "punishment" of having children? Don't have sex. That's the only sure way.
I hope you don't use that same argument for incest or
rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,179,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Because you are for the continuation of life at onset of
fertilization between an egg/sperm, regardless of
circumstance, by your own statements.

Now your adding a line of morality...

So it's okay for you, to give the federal government power to pass governing laws based on YOUR morality, and that's that. Interesting. Just so you know ....that's not an issue a President of the United States has control over - so
once again, I don't understand why someone would base
their vote for President on an issue like abortion.

It makes for conversation, but it simply isn't a reason
one should use to pick their choice for a President on.
Unless, you like a lame duck President from the get go
You are drawing conclusions about my positions that aren't based on what I wrote. Nowhere did I say that the federal government should make laws with regard to morality.

Regarding the topic of the thread, abortion is a mdeical procedure. A medical procedure is not a right since it's a service provided by another person. States have the authority to regulate medical procedures and abortion should be no exception.

I think you and I are in agreement with this. But I still don't get how you connected human cloning with this issue.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

18,457 posts, read 19,101,728 times
Quote:
A baby is punishment for having a life? This seems to be the general attitude of pro-abotion advocates. A baby is the consequence of sex. That's how babies are made, you know? Don't want to deal with the "punishment" of having children? Don't have sex. That's the only sure way.

what a load of crap. men have sex all the time and don't deal with the "consequences" not our call if a woman wants to do likewise.
as for having a life I mean having "all of a life" like a career if the woman doesn't want motherhood. why in the world should any person give up having sex because they might get pregnant. yeah like that will happen.

women are no longer mrs. june cleaver, we will not go back to being maneuvered through life by what society tells us we should do. nor will we be little women in the kitchen making babies, letting our man make all the important choices in life, unless of course that is what we want to do. we do not live in a 3r world and we will no longer be subjected to 3rd world mentality. we have the right to reproductive freedom. we could care less if anti choicers think we are horrid because we live a life on our own terms.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You are drawing conclusions about my positions that aren't based on what I wrote. Nowhere did I say that the federal government should make laws with regard to morality.

Regarding the topic of the thread, abortion is a mdeical procedure. A medical procedure is not a right since it's a service provided by another person. States have the authority to regulate medical procedures and abortion should be no exception.

I think you and I are in agreement with this. But I still don't get how you connected human cloning with this issue.
I am not in agreement that states get to ignore the USC. women should not have to travel to another state for health care.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM

25,831 posts, read 20,767,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a load of crap. men have sex all the time and don't deal with the "consequences" not our call if a woman wants to do likewise.
as for having a life I mean having "all of a life" like a career if the woman doesn't want motherhood. why in the world should any person give up having sex because they might get pregnant. yeah like that will happen.

women are no longer mrs. june cleaver, we will not go back to being maneuvered through life by what society tells us we should do. nor will we be little women in the kitchen making babies, letting our man make all the important choices in life, unless of course that is what we want to do. we do not live in a 3r world and we will no longer be subjected to 3rd world mentality. we have the right to reproductive freedom. we could care less if anti choicers think we are horrid because we live a life on our own terms.
Amen sister!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Amen sister!!!

women opened that door long ago with the right to vote. we burned the "barn door" down along with our bras decades ago. no way in hell young thinking women of today who value true freedom will ever let abortion become illegal again. I would never vote for a pro life candidate nor would any woman I know that believes in choice.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,179,186 times
Quote:

We have child support laws that punish men for not dealing with their consequences and thousands of men are jailed every year for not paying child support. Men don't have lives that that they want to live? Don't they have a right to their body and their labor? If you're consistant with your ethics then you should support men not having to pay child support, but I doubt that you feel that way.

You think that you are advocating for equal rights for women, but you are just promoting special rights for women. Women should not have the exclusive right to exterminate their offspring. Men don't have this right so why should women?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
We have child support laws that punish men for not dealing with their consequences and thousands of men are jailed every year for not paying child support. Men don't have lives that that they want to live? Don't they have a right to their body and their labor? If you're consistant with your ethics then you should support men not having to pay child support, but I doubt that you feel that way.

You think that you are advocating for equal rights for women, but you are just promoting special rights for women. Women should not have the exclusive right to exterminate their offspring. Men don't have this right so why should women?
many men don't pay child support doesn't matter we have laws against it or that some are caught and punished there are still thousands of men who don't pay. supporting a man opting out of child support I would base on the individual situation. it is not my life or my child the man is effecting so I have no real business "voting" if he has the right to opt out. generally speaking once a child is born, both parties should be responsible.

not promoting "special" rights. should women be not be protected by the USC because we have a womb? all men....including wo-man in the US are equal

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,040,149 times
Quote:

I would never vote for a pro life candidate nor would any woman I know that believes in choice.
Seriously, do you really believe Roe vs. Wade would
ever be overturned at the Federal level, or that IF it
became a State Issue, abortion would ever become
illegal again? I don't, and for all the reasons you
stated and more. Get the Federal government out of
our bedrooms altogether.

And, do you really think Obama is pro choice...

Jodi Jacobson of RH Reality Check has this to say:

“As a candidate, Obama said all the right things. As a president, his actions suggest that then-presidential contender and current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was right—he will not fight for us.… The president has presided over the greatest erosion to women’s reproductive health and rights in the past 30 years, and a continuing degradation of our rights at the state level. Yet still he remains silent. Is Obama prochoice? Not by my definition.”

So, are there any issues other than abortion/pro
choice that you use as a litmus test for voting for a
President...

http://feministing.com/2011/05/13/is...ma-pro-choice/

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Seriously, do you really believe Roe vs. Wade would
ever be overturned at the Federal level, or that IF it
became a State Issue, abortion would ever become
illegal again? I don't, and for all the reasons you
stated and more. Get the Federal government out of
our bedrooms altogether.

And, do you really think Obama is pro choice...

Jodi Jacobson of RH Reality Check has this to say:

“As a candidate, Obama said all the right things. As a president, his actions suggest that then-presidential contender and current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was right—he will not fight for us.… The president has presided over the greatest erosion to women’s reproductive health and rights in the past 30 years, and a continuing degradation of our rights at the state level. Yet still he remains silent. Is Obama prochoice? Not by my definition.”

So, our there any issues other than abortion/pro
choice that you use as a litmus test for voting for a
President...
no I doubt that RVW will get overturned, or I hope not anyway. however I know now the anti choicers are hacking away at it bit by bit. trying to make it more restrictive and out right illegal. so women cannot become lazy and think the hard won right will always be a given. the line in the sand is drawn

I could care less if obama is pro life or not, he is a democrat and supports a woman's right to choice. he will not fight against it. it is called choice, he has the right not to personally support it. his political party however does support the right.

yes, many reasons why I vote as I do, not just abortion. I have looked and will continue to look at republican candidates, however the deeper I look at their platform the more they veer from my political thinking. if I found a republican to vote for that thought like me, well he/she would
be a democrat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections