Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,465,715 times

Advertisements

For those who don't think they "trust" Ron Paul. This new TV ad is directed at you.

Ron Paul Trust - YouTube

Actually it is directed at all the people who consider themselves "Reagan Republicans" like Sean Hannity followers. I think it is great. Here's a great analysis of it from another site:

http://www.dailypaul.com/177469/new-ron-paul-ad-truth#comment-1864438 (broken link)

This ad is smart on so many levels...
1). Fights the whole "unelectable", "extreme" stigma.
2). Calls out for people to look more at Perry's record and past.
3). Isolates the attack against the "frontrunner", implying if Ron is better than the frontrhunner, he should be the frontrunner.
4). Puts Perry on the defensive. If Perry decides to attack back, it's a no win for him.
5). Sets up a showdown in the debate, because you know the media and debate moderators love this stuff.
6). Illustrates similarities of Paul and Reagan, who like it or not, is the father figure of the modern Republican party.
I understand some of the criticism below, but first rule of advertising is know your audience. This is perfect for the intended audience and hopefully it can start to get us some of the 50+ conservative vote we've been lacking.

Last edited by emilybh; 09-06-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Ron Paul’s new Iowa ad smacks Rick Perry for ‘pushing liberal values’ in the ’80s | Iowa Caucuses

The "Desmoines Register" has a pretty good article about it.

It is in the "Huffington Post" also. Ron Paul Ties Rick Perry To Al Gore In 2012 Campaign Ad (VIDEO)

Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Ron Paul Trust - YouTube

Actually it is directed at all the people who consider themselves "Reagan Republicans" like Sean Hannity followers. I think it is great.
I have very mixed feelings about this ad.

I say - good - Paul's getting aggressive - pointing out that Perry is no Reagan, ya da da da da, AND I know why Paul's campaign is doing an ad like this...

THEN, my libertarian, rears it's pretty head, and I
remember why I voted for Paul in '88 when he ran as
the Libertarian candidate:

“The American people have never reached this point of disgust with politicians before. I want to totally disassociate myself from the Reagan Administration.“
- Ron Paul

"Ronald Reagan has given us a deficit 10 times greater than what we had with the Democrats" - Ron Paul

"It didn’t take more than a month after 1981, to realize there would be no changes.’" - Ron Paul

So, I understand the points, and I say:
Hey, Ron Paul - so, You can be a politician -
your human after all

Paul really wants to fight to win this time

I for one am hoping he does win.
Regardless, if I don't dance at the Reagan Lovefest

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

I say - good - Paul's getting aggressive - pointing out that Perry is no Reagan, ya da da da da, AND I know why Paul's campaign is doing an ad like this...

“The American people have never reached this point of disgust with politicians before. I want to totally disassociate myself from the Reagan Administration.“
- Ron Paul

"Ronald Reagan has given us a deficit 10 times greater than what we had with the Democrats" - Ron Paul

"It didn’t take more than a month after 1981, to realize there would be no changes.’" - Ron Paul

your human after all

You don't insult the dinner host. The debates are at the Reagan Library, tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You don't insult the dinner host. The debates are at the Reagan Library, tomorrow.
So, they will concentrate on topics that Ronald Reagan
got right...

I am curious if they bring up the Amnesty word..

Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,819,953 times
I think this is a bad move pulling the Reagan card. Reagan was a godfather of the big government, massive spending, corporatist republican party that we have today, things Paul apparently was strongly against. He's also going to push away some independents, on the fence disgruntled democrats, and his liberal base.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:

- Ron Paul

your human after all

Right. I'm sure Ron Paul would never have dreamed up this ad. The object is to draw new people in not please staunch supporters. I think it is brilliant -- especially since it addresses the "ELECTABILITY" issue that the media is always harping on.

I think the next ad they come up with should be something about "age" or maybe "civil rights" since so many people have a problem which a country where business owners would have the freedom to decide who they wanted to do business with and think they should be forced to do business with everyone.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The object is to draw new people in not please staunch supporters.

I think the next ad they come up with should be something about "age"
I do get your points
And Paul was a big fan of Reagan
at one time

Maybe, they could do side by side shots of Paul & Perry with bags under both their eyes - with a photo of a pig wearing lipstick underneath that - with the saying:

Genuine Republican Wisdom & Experience or just Republican Experience & Estee Lauder

Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I do get your points
And Paul was a big fan of Reagan
at one time

Maybe, they could do side by side shots of Paul & Perry with bags under both their eyes - with a photo of a pig wearing lipstick underneath that - with the saying:

Genuine Republican Wisdom & Experience or just Republican Experience & Estee Lauder
Why don't you tell the campaign about your idea?

I've been to Ron Paul's congressional site and sent emails with suggestions and comments. I think I reminded them about the Matt Lauer interview with Obama where Obama said that if the economy hadn't turned around and things weren't a lot better after his first term that he "would be looking at one term". Of course he has to beat Perry and Romney and whoever else before he'll be up against Obama.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
So, they will concentrate on topics that Ronald Reagan
got right...

I am curious if they bring up the Amnesty word..
Also, I think he'll bring up points Reagan ran on. He did that with Bush when he mentions the no nation building platform Dubya ran on the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections