Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Thanks, read it all. There is a lot of different material in there, and it sets a very high standard for specifics and detail. I like that. He does put some good ideas out there, but some of them will surely be attacked. Still, kudos for him to put them out there.

My favorite is that he'll try to phase out ALL taxes on dividends and capital gains on folks making $200K or less. To me, if that is done all sorts of money will flow into the stock market, providing needed capital for a bunch of companies. It would also kind of be the equivalent to making the caps unlimited for retirement investing on those folks making $200K or less. That's a great idea.

One thing I think he'll get some heat over is the China stuff. He wants to declare them a hostile manipulator of our currency, but he never addresses the Fed's own manipulation of our currency... which is potentially the more evil thing. China owns plenty of our debt; their currency manipulation props the dollar up, doesn't devalue it like what the Fed does. Now I realize that hurts exports and jobs, but it also stabilizes or increases the value of the savings people have and their home values. Now, all the other stuff he wants to do about China is great; the trade deal enforcement, get tough on copyright/intellectual property protection there, etc. Fine.

He will also probably need to expand upon the proposed free-trade deals with Columbia, Phillipines and South Korea as well as the change to a US territrorial tax instead of worldwide. Those things don't make good soundbites, although they may well be good economic policy.

Overall good stuff and way more specific than anything Obama has ever presented.

It all makes a lot of sense to me and most of it is nothing Obama or the Dems will ever do. Of course, he will be criticized for most of it, but if you never do anything or put forth any plan there is nothing to draw criticism. I respect him for laying out a plan. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
What is "I love smell of fear". Are you Tarzan? We don't shine shoes anymore BS in fact romney can shine my shoes since he is and still will be unemployed.
yah, more likey you will be shining HIS shoes, he is worth close to $200,000,000.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
The OP, once against, starts a post with a rant, then disappears once the debate begins.

Romney could win. He did well last night.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP, once against, starts a post with a rant, then disappears once the debate begins.

lets face it; some posters rant but never come back to clarify or say things of substance.

Nita

Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I thought Hunstman did MUCH better than any of them on the stage. He seems more reasonable and more intelligent than the others. I won't be voting for the R candidate but wanted to see what they all had to say.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I thought Hunstman did MUCH better than any of them on the stage. He seems more reasonable and more intelligent than the others. I won't be voting for the R candidate but wanted to see what they all had to say.
I agree Hunstman did well. He is playing to the center far more than many of the candidates. I don't know if it is a good strategy or not. I don't think he displayed more intelligence per se. Saying that 98 of 100 scientists believe global warming is manmade is simply untrue.

I think the front runners now are Romney, Perry, and Huntsman in no particular order at at this stage of the game.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Huntsman appeals to Democrats because he should be a Democrat.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Huntsman appeals to Democrats because he should be a Democrat.

I would think he would also appeal to more middle of the road independents. He certainly didn't play to the TP crowd so who knows, he may have zero chance of getting the nomination.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I would think he would also appeal to more middle of the road independents. He certainly didn't play to the TP crowd so who knows, he may have zero chance of getting the nomination.

Yes, he has zero chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections