Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 PM

22,212 posts, read 19,501,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Total of 218,720 votes

Ron Paul
58.7%
(128,327 votes)

Mitt Romney
14%
(30,669 votes)

Rick Perry
11.9%
(25,926 votes)

Jon Huntsman
5.9%
(12,948 votes)

Newt Gingrich
3.9%
(8,628 votes)

Herman Cain
2.9%
(6,342 votes)

Michele Bachmann
1.8%
(3,908 votes)

Rick Santorum
0.9%
(1,972 votes)
Online polls have no Scientific methodology, of course to those that don't believe in Science.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,048,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Take a gander what Galveston Texas, did with Social Security and how that is working for them! I say the Ponzi Scheme gets eliminated, too.

Those that are employed, have no choice but to be robbed by the Federal Government.
Me being self employed, I have never paid into SS, except when I flipped burgers after school, in high school, but I have a retirement fund, that will pay 8 times more than SS would have paid me, had I been an employee and a slave to our federal government.
Self-employed do have to pay social security taxes.

You pay it when you file your Federal Tax return.

From SSA Publication No. 05-10022, January 2011:

The Social Security tax rate for 2011 is 13.3 percent on self-employment income up to $106,800. If your net earnings exceed $106,800, you continue to pay only the Medicare portion of the Social Security tax, which is 2.9 percent, on the rest of your earnings.

There are two income tax deductions that reduce your taxes.

First, your net earnings from self- employ ment are reduced by half of your total Social Security tax. This is similar to the way employees are treated under the tax laws, because the employer’s share of the Social Security tax is not considered wages to the employee.

Second, you can deduct half of your Social Security tax on IRS Form 1040. But the deduction must be taken from your gross income in determining your adjusted gross income. It cannot be an itemized deduction and must not be listed on your Schedule C.

I think the IRS might go easier on you if you willingly report your tax evasion, rather than have them have come after you, or have someone else inform on you.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its about extremism plain and simple. The crazier, the more extreme, the further to the right (especially socially), the more intense the religiosity, the more intense hate spew, the more they soak it up, first it was Bachmann and now its Perry and they both have all of those basis covered on those things.

How much more religious can you be than a Mormon...lol. But seriously, I do know what you mean. I really think the main thing that has the tea party going gaga over Perry is the fundamental religous aspects and not wanting to vote for a Mormon...which is just ignorant in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
How much more religious can you be than a Mormon...lol. But seriously, I do know what you mean. I really think the main thing that has the tea party going gaga over Perry is the fundamental religous aspects and not wanting to vote for a Mormon...which is just ignorant in my opinion.
I'd agree 100% that if the Tea Party is just voting for Perry because he's not a Mormon... that's ignorant and hypocritical.

However, I think it might be something different. The Tea Party, by their very name, is an organization that wants as close to a "revolution" as they can possibly get. They don't want any PC-speak, they don't want people who avoid sensitive issues and just basically say nothing (even if it is in a very professional, polished way). They want the red meat. They want the provocative language. They want the anti-federal government rhetoric. They want the media disdain.

Perry naturally plays into a lot of those "wants", even though his actual positions and beliefs may be much more mainstream and moderate that the Tea Party would like. Still, he is right to court them to win the nomination. After that, he will move to the center -- but still with a populist, shoot-from-the-hip speaking style. And I think that will serve him well.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd agree 100% that if the Tea Party is just voting for Perry because he's not a Mormon... that's ignorant and hypocritical.

However, I think it might be something different. The Tea Party, by their very name, is an organization that wants as close to a "revolution" as they can possibly get. They don't want any PC-speak, they don't want people who avoid sensitive issues and just basically say nothing (even if it is in a very professional, polished way). They want the red meat. They want the provocative language. They want the anti-federal government rhetoric. They want the media disdain.

Perry naturally plays into a lot of those "wants", even though his actual positions and beliefs may be much more mainstream and moderate that the Tea Party would like. Still, he is right to court them to win the nomination. After that, he will move to the center -- but still with a populist, shoot-from-the-hip speaking style. And I think that will serve him well.

I don't see Perry moving to the center, he is no where near the center, he is way out there to the extreme right of the extreme right (especially socially) He thinks adults having consensual sex in the privacy of their own bedroom with someone of the same sex should be thrown in jail for Christs sake. When you are that utterly insane, support such bigoted laws, you don't move to the center. You simply stay insane.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I don't see Perry moving to the center, he is no where near the center, he is way out there to the extreme right of the extreme right (especially socially) He thinks adults having consensual sex in the privacy of their own bedroom with someone of the same sex should be thrown in jail for Christs sake. When you are that utterly insane, support such bigoted laws, you don't move to the center. You simply stay insane.
Then you simply don't know Perry. Heck, Paul's been running ads about how he's not really a conservative, supported Al Gore, spoke in favor of Hillarycare, etc. Bottom line about Perry: he's an incredible politician, and his team is second to none. If he needs to move to the center for the general election, he'll easily be able to do so. But regardless of whether you find him moderate or conservative, his positions will be irresistably populist. That's his strength.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Then you simply don't know Perry. Heck, Paul's been running ads about how he's not really a conservative, supported Al Gore, spoke in favor of Hillarycare, etc. Bottom line about Perry: he's an incredible politician, and his team is second to none. If he needs to move to the center for the general election, he'll easily be able to do so. But regardless of whether you find him moderate or conservative, his positions will be irresistably populist. That's his strength.
The belief that consenting adults should be thrown in jail if they have sex with someone of the same sex in the privacy of their own home, isn't populist, its insane. The belief that Social Security is a Ponzi Scheme isn't populist, its insane.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The belief that consenting adults should be thrown in jail if they have sex with someone of the same sex in the privacy of their own home, isn't populist, its insane. The belief that Social Security is a Ponzi Scheme isn't populist, its insane.
Right, Social Security is worse than a Ponzi scheme because at least with a Ponzi scheme, the participants are willing. I hear you on that. As for the rest, bring it up again when it is ever relevant to the GOP primary or the general election (no offense meant if it's a personal issue for you).

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Right, Social Security is worse than a Ponzi scheme because at least with a Ponzi scheme, the participants are willing. I hear you on that. As for the rest, bring it up again when it is ever relevant to the GOP primary or the general election (no offense meant if it's a personal issue for you).
Its not a personal issue with me, I'm just fed up with bigotry and hate. While I do agree that its not going to be an issue in the Primary, it will be an issue in the General. Gay Bashing is not going to appeal to moderates and Independents. Being bigoted and spewing hate is not going to appeal to moderates and Independents. Its going to turn them off. Same thing with the whole social security is a ponzi scheme bats*** craziness. Yes, those type of views might appeal to the furthest right of the far right, but its not going to appeal to the moderates, its not going to appeal to the Independents.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,130,348 times
Perry used to be a centrist----a protege of Al Gore----he worked for Gore.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read the reason he drifted to the right is that some cohorts of his informed him that if he wanted to be elected to office in Texas he was going to have move his beliefs to the right.

We will see how far the winds are blowing to the right----Perry may surprise, but I think his tough quotes and bravado is going to haunt him------a large percentage of the voters are over 62, and if they mobilize the ponzi schemers may vote en masse to deliver a message.

I dont want to make this a one issue campaign----there are many serious issues we need to tackle and conquer ------sorry, I just dont think Gov. Perry is the answer----I am very luke warm about the President also------so if there is another serious GOP candidate who is not a six shooter or flamethrower I would be receptive.

Hunstman is solid----but too logical and realistic as a problem solver to be the Gop pick----dont love Romney, but will go with him over Perry.

This electoral process is going to be an intense and unpredictable process of probable suprises-----if Paul is shut out of the process will he go third Party?? Will the dems turn to Hiliary Clinton if Obama continues to slip???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections