Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:59 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,895,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Perry used to be a centrist----a protege of Al Gore----he worked for Gore.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read the reason he drifted to the right is that some cohorts of his informed him that if he wanted to be elected to office in Texas he was going to have move his beliefs to the right.

We will see how far the winds are blowing to the right----Perry may surprise, but I think his tough quotes and bravado is going to haunt him------a large percentage of the voters are over 62, and if they mobilize the ponzi schemers may vote en masse to deliver a message.???
Well for right now the "tough quotes" (which are really just what every GOP candidate is thinking, but too afraid to say) earn him the Tea Party voters. We already know he has the religious right. So I think he's the nominee, and we'll see how his more centrist views play out in the general election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,183,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd agree 100% that if the Tea Party is just voting for Perry because he's not a Mormon... that's ignorant and hypocritical.

However, I think it might be something different. The Tea Party, by their very name, is an organization that wants as close to a "revolution" as they can possibly get. They don't want any PC-speak, they don't want people who avoid sensitive issues and just basically say nothing (even if it is in a very professional, polished way). They want the red meat. They want the provocative language. They want the anti-federal government rhetoric. They want the media disdain.

Perry naturally plays into a lot of those "wants", even though his actual positions and beliefs may be much more mainstream and moderate that the Tea Party would like. Still, he is right to court them to win the nomination. After that, he will move to the center -- but still with a populist, shoot-from-the-hip speaking style. And I think that will serve him well.

Except he can and has been bought and paid for...Gardasil, Bilderberg. I don't think the Tea Party understands or cares to see those little details of this guy. He is not all that much of a maverick. It's all an act.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Perry used to be a centrist----a protege of Al Gore----he worked for Gore.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read the reason he drifted to the right is that some cohorts of his informed him that if he wanted to be elected to office in Texas he was going to have move his beliefs to the right.

We will see how far the winds are blowing to the right----Perry may surprise, but I think his tough quotes and bravado is going to haunt him------a large percentage of the voters are over 62, and if they mobilize the ponzi schemers may vote en masse to deliver a message.

I dont want to make this a one issue campaign----there are many serious issues we need to tackle and conquer ------sorry, I just dont think Gov. Perry is the answer----I am very luke warm about the President also------so if there is another serious GOP candidate who is not a six shooter or flamethrower I would be receptive.

Hunstman is solid----but too logical and realistic as a problem solver to be the Gop pick----dont love Romney, but will go with him over Perry.

This electoral process is going to be an intense and unpredictable process of probable suprises-----if Paul is shut out of the process will he go third Party?? Will the dems turn to Hiliary Clinton if Obama continues to slip???

He moved to the GOP because he was encouraged to by Karl Rove and The Bushes and aided in getting into the offices he held by them. He then paid them back by dissing Bush in public. This was well before he decided to run for president so that had nothing to do with it. He is not a loyal person and that makes me not really trust him.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Except he can and has been bought and paid for...Gardasil, Bilderberg. I don't think the Tea Party understands or cares to see those little details of this guy. He is not all that much of a maverick. It's all an act.
Agreed that he's not a maverick. He's just a very good politician. And a good governor IMO. As for being bought and sold, every politician is for sale. All of them. But Perry is not of the current establishment, make no mistake about that. You say he's Bilderberg, but every globalist establishment guy out there on the GOP side wants to see him fail. Perry may be "establishment", but he's his own establishment. A lot of folks in Washington become irrelevant if he wins. He know how to appoint loyalists - the turnover in Washington would be remarkable if he won.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Agreed that he's not a maverick. He's just a very good politician. And a good governor IMO. As for being bought and sold, every politician is for sale. All of them. But Perry is not of the current establishment, make no mistake about that. You say he's Bilderberg, but every globalist establishment guy out there on the GOP side wants to see him fail. Perry may be "establishment", but he's his own establishment. A lot of folks in Washington become irrelevant if he wins. He know how to appoint loyalists - the turnover in Washington would be remarkable if he won.

Turnover is not turnover if you replace it with the same thing. I don't care for politicians who lord their power over people by giving them positions or committees and also threatening to take them away if they don't toe the line. Perry is known for such antics. We have had a history of democratic governors just like that in KY and I can't stand it. Perry is not loyal himself to those politically that have helped him, so it's hypocritcal of him to expect his minions to be. He is nothing new.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 09-11-2011 at 01:30 AM..

Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Self-employed do have to pay social security taxes.

You pay it when you file your Federal Tax return.

From SSA Publication No. 05-10022, January 2011:

The Social Security tax rate for 2011 is 13.3 percent on self-employment income up to $106,800. If your net earnings exceed $106,800, you continue to pay only the Medicare portion of the Social Security tax, which is 2.9 percent, on the rest of your earnings.

There are two income tax deductions that reduce your taxes.

First, your net earnings from self- employ ment are reduced by half of your total Social Security tax. This is similar to the way employees are treated under the tax laws, because the employer’s share of the Social Security tax is not considered wages to the employee.

Second, you can deduct half of your Social Security tax on IRS Form 1040. But the deduction must be taken from your gross income in determining your adjusted gross income. It cannot be an itemized deduction and must not be listed on your Schedule C.

I think the IRS might go easier on you if you willingly report your tax evasion, rather than have them have come after you, or have someone else inform on you.

At 49 years old, I can say I have never paid into SS as long as I have been self employed. You think they would have knocked on my door by now if it was mandatory, like income taxes are.
I just won't get SS when I hit that golden age.
You can't opt out if you are employed.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,538,908 times
Quote:
There sure are a lot of people hoping this or that about Perry "will sink him..."

I take that as a good sign. It's great that the opposing side will so willingly tell voters who they fear the most. Keep up the good work.
No no I and many other Obama supporters want perry to win. Obama is going to throttle him in the debates. If he does win the country continues down the road of wage slave policy. Thats OK I'm used to fighting not to be a wage slave. The people who don't vote or vote republican can walk right up with their high school GED or less and jump right in on that 10/hr with no benefits and no hope for a better life job. They can smile and say we got that Muslim out and then when that job beats their body up and they cant work for massuh anymore they will look around and ask "why isn't their a program to help people like me". I can then laugh at them. So go ahead hope Obama fails and perry gets in to continue the way of the bush. Ill be fine either way.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
No no I and many other Obama supporters want perry to win. Obama is going to throttle him in the debates. If he does win the country continues down the road of wage slave policy. Thats OK I'm used to fighting not to be a wage slave. The people who don't vote or vote republican can walk right up with their high school GED or less and jump right in on that 10/hr with no benefits and no hope for a better life job. They can smile and say we got that Muslim out and then when that job beats their body up and they cant work for massuh anymore they will look around and ask "why isn't their a program to help people like me". I can then laugh at them. So go ahead hope Obama fails and perry gets in to continue the way of the bush. Ill be fine either way.

When Obamacare is fully implemented they more than likely won't have any benefits anyway, except what the government offers them. Oh wait, that's basically going to be not worth having.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,664,384 times
Quote:
Turnover is not turnover if you replace it with the same thing. I don't care for politicians who lord their power over people by giving them positions or committees and also threatening to take them away if they don't toe the line. Perry is known for such antics. We have had a history of democratic governors just like that in KY and I can't stand it. Perry is not loyal himself to those politically that have helped him, so it's hypocritcal of him to expect his minions to be. He is nothing new.
WOW! I knew I smelled a 'Big RAT'...when I see and hear Rick Perry.

The above type corrupt tactics are like the Bush administration (Cheney, etc.) and that's what Perry feels like >> A bad dictator <<

Well, all 'dictators' are BAD...

Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The Clintons were also known for "antics" like this. I think most effective politicians are going to be like this; they will require their appointees to "toe the line" and demand loyalty. Because it works.

I will be glad to see any kind of turnover in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections