Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Looks like Iowa will make or break Michelle Bachman.

Ex-aide: Bachmann lacks 'resources' to get past Iowa

I think she has a chance to win it, based on her showing in the Ames straw poll, but I guess this will be a test of how relevant or irrelevant straw polls actually are. We know Huntman is betting all on New Hampshire, but even if they win, how much longer do you think they can hang in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 04:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
I caught this segment live this morning. Her former campaign aid that quit doesn't sound very confident with her at all and I don't blame him. Her approval numbers have been plunging and I doubt she will make it past Iowa. Also keep in mind she only won the straw poll from bussing people in, giving them tickets and free food for their vote. If she didn't bribe people to vote for her, she would have been near the bottom of the pack like she is now.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM

I think she took a big credibility hit with the whole vaccine/mental retardation flap. She was right, politically, to challenge the mandate by Rick Perry in regards to her supporters, but I think she left a lot of people uncomfortable by her insistence to repeat hearsay and not at least temper her response with some discussion of the facts.

I think the Leno appearance didn't help her much either. She looks less and less like the adult in the room in comparison to the other contenders.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
If she doesn't do well in Iowa, she doesn't stand a chance period. I don't dislike her and she makes some good points, but she is too gaffe prone. Whoever checks her facts should be fired...or maybe if she doesn't have anyone they should hire someone to do that.

I was glad she confronted the Gardasil issue, but as usual she got carried away and went too far which took the focus off the actually issue that is important in that whole debacle.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Looks like Iowa will make or break Michelle Bachman.

Ex-aide: Bachmann lacks 'resources' to get past Iowa

I think she has a chance to win it, based on her showing in the Ames straw poll, but I guess this will be a test of how relevant or irrelevant straw polls actually are. We know Huntman is betting all on New Hampshire, but even if they win, how much longer do you think they can hang in there?
based on Aims I can see why you think that, but check straw polls in Iowa in years past, plus mostly straw polls have to do with buying votes (also known as perks for those who vote one way) The caucus is 4 months away and she is running low on funds, plus winning Iowa will not help her, losing Iowa will finish her.

Nita

Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I think she took a big credibility hit with the whole vaccine/mental retardation flap. She was right, politically, to challenge the mandate by Rick Perry in regards to her supporters, but I think she left a lot of people uncomfortable by her insistence to repeat hearsay and not at least temper her response with some discussion of the facts.

I think the Leno appearance didn't help her much either. She looks less and less like the adult in the room in comparison to the other contenders.
Actually quesioning him was one thing but then that crap about someone came up to her and told her about the girl that was retarded because of the vaccine backfired big time. The fact speak differently, she can not produce the person who told her that and when she keeps say innocent little girls she needs to look around her and see what many 12 year old girls are really like, Many are still innocent we hope, little girls no. We are not talking about 4 or 5 year olds, we are talking middle school young ladies. We are not talking little girls playing with Barbie Dolls, we are talking little girls playing with? I will leave it there.

Nita

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If she doesn't do well in Iowa, she doesn't stand a chance period. I don't dislike her and she makes some good points, but she is too gaffe prone. Whoever checks her facts should be fired...or maybe if she doesn't have anyone they should hire someone to do that.
You should read Michele Bachmann's misstatements: A constant staff worry - Molly Ball - POLITICO.com.

She has people to do this. It makes no difference.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You should read Michele Bachmann's misstatements: A constant staff worry - Molly Ball - POLITICO.com.

I am sure it drives them crazy. On the issue of Gardasil, it has been linked to some pretty horrible side effects that actually did happen so there was no need to say it caused mental retardation. I think she may have gotten that confused with the notion that vaccines might be linked to autism which also hasn't been proven.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
That Politico article was interesting. It used a half-dozen softer ways of saying Bachmann is a chronic liar. Whether it is called a falsehood, a fabrication, a contradiction of fact, a concoction, a demonstrably false claim, or whatever- a lie is a lie is a lie.

Anyone can mix up facts, or mis-speak. But when a candidate does it repeatedly, time after time, with no correction or apology, the lies only become more obvious with each repetition.

Truth does not abide in the woman, and she will be long gone by the primaries.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

Good article, thanks I guess if she did have the resources to go further, her campaign would still flame our.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections