Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,484,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Victimology-speak by black leaders is what keeps blacks down. As long as they have convinced blacks and others that blacks can't accomplish anything without help, they will always need help and will vote people in who keep promising them help. When someday I hear Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, for example, speak publicly about successful black businessmen, successful black doctors and scientists, successful military men maybe I'll believe it's not true but there is no power or money in it for them if black people no longer need Jackson or Sharpton to succeed, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. The white Democrats need the votes so they jump on the victimology band wagon with Sharpton and Jackson. You need to need them to keep them in office. Herman Cain and Alan West, for example, are black leaders' worst nightmare.

An aside, Asian-Americans don't play that victimology game.
The problem here is that you think Jesse Jackson and Al sharpton are actual black leaders. If they are black leaders, then who are the white leaders, asian leaders, Hispanic leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Herman Cain ,why most Black people won't support him.

Same reason most people won't support him...cuz he's crazy.
I was totally going to say this! I am black, not a democrat and would vote for a sane Republican. Herman Cain is not sane IMO. The only Republican on the ticket right now I kind of like in Jon Huntsman even though I don't like his stance on abortion but I can live with that. If he got nominated, I'd vote for him over the current president, but that won't happen and I'll more than likely vote for Obama.

Cain is not serious to me when it comes to wanting black Americans to support his campaign. It seems to me he is serious about seperating himself from most black Americans and placating those of his supporters who see black people in this country in a disparaging light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not surprised that you and most blacks won't support Cain. He represents the exact opposite of what passes for Black intellectual thought these days. He is a self made man who persevered against the odds through his own efforts. not a popular story these days in the black community.

Nowadays Blacks are taught this country is racist therefore why try? Just line up for the government handouts. All good until a killer hurricane comes ashore and your given three days notice to leave then you're on your own.
The bolded and really your whole spew is completely hilarious!!! Funniest thing I have read in a while (even though this POC room is rull of funny material).

I was never taught to not even try. I lived in Ohio so didn't have to deal with hurricanes LOL! I live in Atlanta now and don't deal with them either!!

I will tell you what I was raised to believe and what I raise my own kids to believe. I tell my son especially that people will think that he is a criminal at times, just because he is a black boy, and that it will bother him, he may get angry about it but do not give others the satisfaction of getting angry in their presence and act like an idiot regarding someone else's idiotic comments. I tell them that many will view him negatively based on stereotypes, but that he is an individual and is not subject to follow any misconceived notion that anyone holds of him. I tell him that if he is stopped by the police and picked up to be polite and respectful, but also not say anything except "call my parents" and that the police may try to lie to him to get him to say something, remain respectful and repeat that you want them to call your parents or request legal representation. I tell him every day to do his best at school because he is not going to live with me beyond the age of 22 unless there are dire circumstances that make this absolutely necessary. I tell him that he needs to be responsible for himself and not listen to others even if they are his friends or family as people will sell you down the river if they think they will get in trouble. I tell him that he has strong blood in his veins, that our people endured many trials and horrible circumstances and the fact that he exist is a testament to our ancestor's perserverance. I tell him that he can do anything he wants to do, the only person who can stop him is himself. I tell him that he is the fulfilled dream of his ancestors and he owes it not only to himself but to them to make sure that he has a worthwhile life and to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to him. I tell him not to believe anything on TV and to always question what he reads or what people say to him, even me, because we all have our own paths in life and what works for one person may not work for all. I tell him to pity people like you who have such a limited view of reality and the many individuals that make up our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Victimology-speak by black leaders is what keeps blacks down. As long as they have convinced blacks and others that blacks can't accomplish anything without help, they will always need help and will vote people in who keep promising them help. When someday I hear Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, for example, speak publicly about successful black businessmen, successful black doctors and scientists, successful military men maybe I'll believe it's not true but there is no power or money in it for them if black people no longer need Jackson or Sharpton to succeed, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. The white Democrats need the votes so they jump on the victimology band wagon with Sharpton and Jackson. You need to need them to keep them in office. Herman Cain and Alan West, for example, are black leaders' worst nightmare.

An aside, Asian-Americans don't play that victimology game.
White people play the victimology game as well. They blame black people for many ills in this country. They blame the government. They blame liberals or conservatives, they blame affirmative action and claim "reverse racism." White men claim they are oppressed and are more oppressed than minorities. They claim that they are being targeted by black "flash mobs" who are intent on destroying them because Obama is telling them too (and I have to LOL at that!!).

Asian Americans are victims of racism as well and claim victimology against not only black people for not getting into colleges but white people too.

And just so you know Al Sharpton does quite frequently speak about successes amongst black people in this country. I have heard his radio show before and he is a guest on a program sometimes that I listen to. I am not a fan of his but really I don't see why some white people hate him so much and I really don't see why you think he and Jesse Jackson are "leaders" when most black people don't listen to anything they say. You make both of them more than an issue than they are and before you bring up the Duke case and Tawanna Brawley, I know about them in regards to Sharpton but he is a media figure, not a leader. In the media Sharpton has spoken of successful black inventors, business people, and others. Most people who speak about him and Jackson don't seem to know much about him or black Americans in general, which is evidenced by your post.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,967,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not surprised that you and most blacks won't support Cain. He represents the exact opposite of what passes for Black intellectual thought these days. He is a self made man who persevered against the odds through his own efforts. not a popular story these days in the black community.

Nowadays Blacks are taught this country is racist therefore why try? Just line up for the government handouts. All good until a killer hurricane comes ashore and your given three days notice to leave then you're on your own.
As usual Edward, your ignorance and basically stupid assessment of black people as a whole spills out once again.

So basically Herman Cain's assessment that black people haven't fought for this country, have Ho's and are quick to pay for their abortions,cheat on their wives passes for white intellectual thought these days?

Most successful, self made black people are Democrat, they have enough sense to know that you don't have to crap on your own people as a condition of acceptance by others.

You sound about as enlightened as Davis Duke when you all try to evaluate the black community.

How about you spend some time around the real black middleclass before you foist yourself off as knowledgeable about it's community.

To endorse that crap that Herman puts out is bullcrap, it just lines up with your inability to come to terms with your own blackness and the disturbing pathology of the culture you claim to hail from.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,967,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
looks to me like you might have a chip on your shoulder. I know a lot of educated black people who happen to be Republicans and conservatives.
As for being called monkeys, etc, of course you don't like it, no one likes to be put down or made fun of, but if you are under the impression only Republicans say these things, you haven't lived very long. Being a Republican or a Democrat has little to do with how one feels about minorities. I have probably meant as many or more Democrats that are racists than Republicans.

Nita
Strange you can manage to assume anyone that doesn't like being disrespected and stereotyped has a chip on their shoulder, yet you can't seem to comprehend that those who would stereotype other people have the chip on their shoulder.

Next time someone attempts to label you in the most vile terms, don't challenge it. It's just a chip on your shoulder..

Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,656,713 times
It is really getting deep in these threads.....I am going to start wearing wading boots. LOL. We are heading for real problems, folks, and we need to step back and take some long, slow breaths....myself included.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,255,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
One of the reasons I find it so humorous when folks on here preemptively defend Cain from being called an Uncle Tom and bemoan the fact that black conservatives are often (and unfairly) called race traitors, is that many of them will turn around and say that any black person who is not conservative is just a slave on the "democratic plantation," waiting for welfare handouts from Big Gov't.

Why are so many of you so slow to realize that this is basically the exact same thing.
Seems to be the conservative way as of late. Accuse the other side of thriving on gratuitous and self-serving use of the race card in one breath while shamelessly playing "plantation politics" in the next.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,627,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would do it, but I have this pesky thing called a job...and they expect me to show up, like, whenever I'm scheduled. I know! So uncool!

Other than that, I don't ever go anywhere, so there's not much other driving to curtail.
I'm the same way on both. I have a job that I have to drive, but when I come home, car does not leave driveway until the next work day. Oh and it's such a boring life. However, there are those that are still the road warriors.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,549,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The temporary darling of the Republicans/Conservatives makes a habit of telling Black Democrats how they are trapped on the Democratic Plantation due to their inability to intellectually make the "wise" choice to vote Republican.

Republicans continually ask why Black people will not vote Republican, and we give the same answers over and over again. We don't like to be referred to as monkeys, chimps, apes, Simians. We don't like to be called thugs, drug dealers, less moral, less intelligent, or less capable. We don't like the constant portrayal of Black people that lose their minds over watermelon and fried chicken. We don't like the continuous drone of "if a black person makes it, it's not due to his ability, it's only due to affirmative action".

Well, ole Herman takes the cake with this one. In this ad black men haven't fought for this country, Black men don't nurture their children, Black men have "Hos",Black men are quick to get an abortion for their hos, and black men won't vote Republican because all of these things aren't things Republicans would indulge in.

"I Don't Snuff My Own Seed": 2006 Radio Ad Featuring Herman Cain - YouTube
I really can't be bothered to raise my blood pressure over this. Herman Cain has his hustle saying racist things about black people in order to amaze white republicans. It's how he earns his fame, let him have it. And in December of 2012, when republicans show up scratching their heads and wondering "How is it that democrats have such an amazing hold on black voters", then just point to Cain's minstrel show, along with Donald Trump's outright bigotry, and Gingrich's embracing D'Souza's "Kenyan Anti-colonialist" drivel.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,195,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
I really can't be bothered to raise my blood pressure over this. Herman Cain has his hustle saying racist things about black people in order to amaze white republicans. It's how he earns his fame, let him have it. And in December of 2012, when republicans show up scratching their heads and wondering "How is it that democrats have such an amazing hold on black voters", then just point to Cain's minstrel show, along with Donald Trump's outright bigotry, and Gingrich's embracing D'Souza's "Kenyan Anti-colonialist" drivel.

Would it also be like when Obama told the Congressional Black Caucus this:

Obama made waves at a Congressional Black Caucus dinner last week, when he told participants: "Take off your bedroom slippers. Put on your marching shoes."

"Shake it off," Obama said. "Stop complaining, stop grumbling. Stop crying. We are going to press on. We've got work to do."

Cause you know black people wear their house shoes everywhere and they are always grumbling and complaining for no apparent reason. I mean unemployment is only about 40% for young black adults...what do they have to grumble about, right? What's all the crying about anyway?

I found this racist and condescending, but I guess he can get away with it.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,549,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Would it also be like when Obama told the Congressional Black Caucus this:

Obama made waves at a Congressional Black Caucus dinner last week, when he told participants: "Take off your bedroom slippers. Put on your marching shoes."

"Shake it off," Obama said. "Stop complaining, stop grumbling. Stop crying. We are going to press on. We've got work to do."

Cause you know black people wear their house shoes everywhere and they are always grumbling and complaining for no apparent reason. I mean unemployment is only about 40% for young black adults...what do they have to grumble about, right? What's all the crying about anyway?

I found this racist and condescending, but I guess he can get away with it.
I saw the speech in it's entirety. I thought it was odd to characterize it as Obama somehow lecturing black people, when he spent the vast majority of the speech either calling on shared traditions of all Americans, and attacking and mocking republicans. The fact that the audience was on their feet waving their arms like they were at church should have told newscasters how it was received, but like Cosby's speeches, it was turned into something it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections