Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times

Advertisements

Who the heck changed the definition of Liberty?

More and more regulations to micro manage the herd.

Have you lost freedoms that your great grand father had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I think I would have entitled your thread, "Regulations = Liberty?" Unless you intended to have people think you were off your rocker and really THOUGHT that "Regulations = Liberty". Regulations kills Liberty.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 PM

753 posts, read 847,432 times
Everyone wants freedom for themselves and regulation of everyone else.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 AM

865 posts, read 679,437 times
Quote:
Leo Strauss

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,585,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Everyone wants freedom for themselves and regulation of everyone else.
Not everyone. Just those with enormous egos.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,884,003 times
Quote:

To the last question, nope! I have WAY more freedoms than my great grandfather had (I'm black and know my great grandfather in SC didn't enjoy the freedoms I have today).

Also I don't feel that regulations hinder freedom. Lots of people's idea of "freedom" is based on their wanting to do what they want to do regardless of what others want. Unfortunately we need regulations, for example, to keep companies from polluting air and water amongst other things. If people and companies thought more of how their actions/inactions affect their fellow citizens, then we wouldn't need regulations.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
To the last question, nope! I have WAY more freedoms than my great grandfather had (I'm black and know my great grandfather in SC didn't enjoy the freedoms I have today).

Also I don't feel that regulations hinder freedom. Lots of people's idea of "freedom" is based on their wanting to do what they want to do regardless of what others want. Unfortunately we need regulations, for example, to keep companies from polluting air and water amongst other things. If people and companies thought more of how their actions/inactions affect their fellow citizens, then we wouldn't need regulations.

You are correct. I didn't think over that angle.

I bet your great grand father had more freedom, than before Woodrow Wilson's Progressive segregation and Jim Crow laws, though... Not much but there was some hope.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:35 PM

37,954 posts, read 17,974,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

We already have laws on the books when someone pollutes. There are called property rights. We need to enforce them instead of making more regulations. We end up blaming government when things go wrong because of bad oversight instead of blaming the company that caused the problem. Did the regulations stop the oil spills in Louisiana?

Those rules and regulations were the cause of your great grandfather not getting the freedoms and rights he deserved. Government does not grant rights it takes them away.

I haven't this statement "Lots of people's idea of "freedom" is based on their wanting to do what they want to do regardless of what others want."
As long as I do not step on the rights of others the government should have no authority. Moral issues? let society handle it.

Because of people like you suppressing my freedoms I couldn't buy alcohol during prohibition.
I cannot eat because people like you wont let me smoke marijuana to counter the affects of chemo. The drugs don't help my appetite. (You do know one of the reasons for marijuana prohibition was to curtail the "mingling" of minorities with whites?)
I could not vote. I could not marry someone from a different race in 38 of the 48 states in 1920.
All because too many think governments job is to raise you from cradle to grave and we need them to run our lives.

Freedom is for every one. It does not give preferences based on sex, race, nationality or sexual preference. Enforce the laws we have in place.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,004,700 times
From Adam Smith, the father of capitalism, arguing that banking regulation is rightfully regulated by government as it protects society as a whole:
Quote:
Such regulations may, no doubt, be considered as in some respect a violation of natural liberty. But those exertions of the natural liberty of a few individuals, which might endanger the security of the whole society, are, and ought to be, restrained by the laws of all governments; of the most free, as well as or the most despotical. The obligation of building party walls, in order to prevent the communication of fire, is a violation of natural liberty, exactly of the same kind with the regulations of the banking trade which are here proposed.
Of course regulation restrains personal liberty. That's obvious. The question is whether the full liberty of individuals endanger the security or society as a whole. Your right to swing your arms wildly may endanger the face of nearby people and therefore can be denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections