Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM

22,257 posts, read 19,575,089 times

Advertisements

MASSIVE increases in taxes on the poor and middle class and massive decrease in taxes for the wealthy. What a disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,988,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
MASSIVE increases in taxes on the poor and middle class and massive decrease in taxes for the wealthy. What a disgrace.
The only people who I could see who favor such a plan are the very wealthy and people who have problems with simple math.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,580,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I agree on all of your points, except that I don't see how someone making $20k would see any decrease. They would more than likely see an increase. Most people making $20k don't end up paying any federal taxes and usually if they have children get a nice refund at the end of the year due to the earned income credit.

A childless adult earning $20K will pay slightly over $1,000 this year in federal income tax, plus $1,500 in payroll taxes.

Assuming Cain's plan has exemptions equal to the current zero-bracket amount (standard deduction plus one personal exemption), this person will pay approx $950 federal income tax plus $950 national sales tax = $1,900. (But who knows, if the exemption is lower or it is zero, this person will pay even more 999 tax.) This works out to an effective federal tax rate of 9.5 percent under Cain's plan.

The tricky part not getting attention (yet) is that while Cain's plan does away with payroll taxes, it also does away with Social Security and Medicare.

It would be irresponsible for this $20K worker to NOT save and invest for retirement, so let's say the responsible thing to do is to save/invest 15.3 percent (equal to the payroll taxes which disappeared) of every paycheck.

Add this 15.3 percent to the 9.5 percent income/sales tax this person pays, and we're up to 24.8 percent...on someone making $20K annually.

Realistic? Reasonable? Feasible?

It looks to me like low-wage workers will have to choose between poverty now (and saving for retirement) and destitution later (and NOT saving for retirement).

Adults with children get big tax breaks today, which will disappear under Cain's plan, so they will be hit even harder than childless adults.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,271,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much tax should a minimum wage burger flipper pay?
If everyone pays the same rate of tax, then living costs will adjust to the new reality. One glaring flaw in Cain's plan is that many wealthy people are able to avoid income tax entirely through various devices, so they would pay only the 9% sales tax, whereas worker bees would have to pay 9% income tax + 9% sales tax. So, the working class still gets hosed (and they like it that way...). I say eliminate income tax entirely and have a 15% consumption (sales) tax on everything, no exemptions.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
A national Federal sales tax is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
Please enlighten me. Where is that in the Constitution?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
yup.

i mean, it's important that rich people don't pay capital gains taxes.
Buffet? How does he avoid capital gains tax on his capital gains?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 AM

37,954 posts, read 17,974,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The 9% sales tax is the only way you'll ever successfully tax the rich in America. In fact, forget income tax entirely and have a 15% sales tax, no exceptions or exemptions.
Cool lets make it harder for the poor and limited income people to buy food and medicine.
I can hear the ex Rep Grayson from Florida now "Republicans want to kill the poor and the elderly".
He wouldn't be too far off.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Cool lets make it harder for the poor and limited income people to buy food and medicine.
I can hear the ex Rep Grayson from Florida now "Republicans want to kill the poor and the elderly".
He wouldn't be too far off.

Like now, with State and local sales taxes, they do not tax food or medicines.
You sound just like "I got the boot" Grayson. Lies of propaganda can be stumped by the truth, way to easy.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Staying on subject, the 9-9-9 plan has absolutly no Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. There would be NONE. The 1/3 of elderly in Nursing Care on Medicaid would be thrown out into the streets. None of the elderly would have medical care or Social Security Period
Show me where any of this is true.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 AM

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Nine! Nine! Nine! (spoken like a good German ) sucks. However, it should at least be stated his position on entitlements.

The Issues | Herman Cain for President
Cain must be getting under liberal's skin, to drag out the "good German....er...Hitler reference).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections