Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Herman Cain
I'm working class and 999 will result in a tax cut 14 30.43%
I'm working class and 999 will increase my taxes 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,814,948 times

Advertisements

Edward D. Kleinbard, Professor of Law at USC has published a research paper analyzing Cain 9-9-9 plan and have concluded that it's "a terrific example of fiscal hocus pocus. It is presented as a low-tax panacea, but it actually would raise the tax bills of many Americans very substantially. And ironically it imposes a new one-time wealth tax on the rich that might surprise Mr. Cain and his adherents."

Please read the full analysis here (you can download it as a PDF) and if you think the professor is wrong, please explain why.

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Tax Plan by Edward Kleinbard

I am hoping this will open some eyes. I am also open to arguments which might prove Kleinbard wrong. And please DO read the paper. Please don't be lazy and skim through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM

1,147 posts, read 910,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Edward D. Kleinbard, Professor of Law at USC has published a research paper analyzing Cain 9-9-9 plan and have concluded that it's "a terrific example of fiscal hocus pocus. It is presented as a low-tax panacea, but it actually would raise the tax bills of many Americans very substantially. And ironically it imposes a new one-time wealth tax on the rich that might surprise Mr. Cain and his adherents."

Please read the full analysis here (you can download it as a PDF) and if you think the professor is wrong, please explain why.

I am hoping this will open some eyes. I am also open to arguments which might prove Kleinbard wrong. And please DO read the paper. Please don't be lazy and skim through it.
I can't believe there's a big mystery around this plan. Those who live paycheck to paycheck will pay taxes of 18%. As income goes up, taxes go down, to the point where the super-rich will pay........... 9%.

I can't believe people are even talking about this, as if it has merit. I'd sooner let a high school economics student into the White House. Cain is a charlatan, because he just can't be that stupid.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 AM

I don't necessarily disagree myself, but I do want to give his supporters a chance to defend their case and prove us wrong. A lot of people support Cain because of his 999 plan and still think the plan is good, so let's hear them out.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,583,293 times
His supporters will ignore anything that goes against his plan and will probably call the professor names for digging this up.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times
Quote:

First of all, it isn't an effective 27% rate on wages. If that were the case, then we currently have a tax on wages of 45% plus sales tax in each state. This 45% figure is the average effective tax rate for personal income plus average effective tax rate for corporations.

Secondly, you fail to include consideration for savings i.e. you only spend consumption tax when you buy something, but when you save, those savings wouldn't be subject to the consumption tax.

So calling it a 27% tax is absurd.

I'd like to add, at least Herman Cain has a plan which is much more than our current president has.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,073,379 times
I'm not here to defend or attack Mr Cain's plan. The important discussion not about this plans specifics; bad points or good points. Though that is helpful. It is about a real discussion about tax reform. The discussion ought to be what kind of tax reform will promote growth in this country. A rising tide can lift all boats, but only if it is sufficiently strong.

That means tax reform beyond let's tax the rich more, or we have to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiirrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Those too have become more about campaign sound bites, then reform.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,961 times
the main counter ive seen from cain people, one that i think is legit, is that it gets the 47 percent who pay nothing involved in the game.

the other counter ive seen is that its fair, everybody gets the same rate regardless.

not saying i agree or disagree. im saying those are the main comments ive seen from cain supporters

Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Secondly, you fail to include consideration for savings i.e. you only spend consumption tax when you buy something, but when you save, those savings wouldn't be subject to the consumption tax.
But you do have to spend for essentials - food, energy, services etc. Will you buy "used" food? "used" energy? "used" plumber's service for repairing your broken faucet?

Did you read all of the document or just the first page?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I'm not here to defend or attack Mr Cain's plan. The important discussion not about this plans specifics; bad points or good points. Though that is helpful. It is about a real discussion about tax reform. The discussion ought to be what kind of tax reform will promote growth in this country. A rising tide can lift all boats, but only if it is sufficiently strong.

That means tax reform beyond let's tax the rich more, or we have to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiirrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Those too have become more about campaign sound bites, then reform.
While I agree about the need for tax reform, does that necessarily mean that we should embrace the most catchy tax reform phrase floating around without much afterthought? Is a Wells Fargo branch employee qualified to rewrite the country's tax code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the main counter ive seen from cain people, one that i think is legit, is that it gets the 47 percent who pay nothing involved in the game.

the other counter ive seen is that its fair, everybody gets the same rate regardless.

not saying i agree or disagree. im saying those are the main comments ive seen from cain supporters
While I too think that the 47% who currently don't pay anything should pay something, I think Cain's plan is too much. They live paycheck to paycheck, which means they spend all of the money they earn to make ends meet, so they will suffer the most.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,986,167 times
Quote:

How are his supporters going to counter this when he doesn't or can't. They'll tell you the same thing he does, "those numbers are wrong." Period, end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections