Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Herman Cain
I'm working class and 999 will result in a tax cut 14 30.43%
I'm working class and 999 will increase my taxes 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,535,850 times

Advertisements

Ha ha ha Herman Cain is DOA. Obama will coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:05 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Unless you have no or very little deductions you will see your taxes increase unless of course you have a strange definition of working class. Cain himself can't get the math right. Middle class families would be especially hit hard by this.
Middle Class families would be hurt more than the impending global collapse that will be caused if Obama and the planless/clueless liberals continue in power.

I like the plan, and I'd probably end up owing more taxes under it. The attraction of the plan is that EVERYONE has to start contributing to the kitty.

We're not going to get out of the economic hole created by big government liberals (Rs and Ds alike) without some pain.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Middle Class families would be hurt more than the impending global collapse that will be caused if Obama and the planless/clueless liberals continue in power.

I like the plan, and I'd probably end up owing more taxes under it. The attraction of the plan is that EVERYONE has to start contributing to the kitty.

We're not going to get out of the economic hole created by big government liberals (Rs and Ds alike) without some pain.
Everyone already contributes something to the kitty, they just do so in other forms. Massive cuts in taxes to the wealthy with massive increases in taxes to the poor and middle class is not the way to go about solving the problem. And yes you are right that we aren't going to get out of the hole without some pain. That means the wealthy also. The poor have sacrificed, the middle class have sacrificed, the wealthy have not. Yet this plan would cause the middle class and poor to sacrifice even more, and on top of that not only not ask the wealthy to sacrifice, but give them even more.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Do some people actually get more back in a refund than they had deducted from wages for the year?

My years of really low earnings were during the 80s and early 90s. I didn't have children or a mortgage and was a single filer. I never received more in a refund than what had been deducted from my paychecks.
Through things like the child tax credit and other deductions, there are those who get back more in income taxes than they paid in, however they pay more in payroll taxes and other taxes than they get back in income taxes.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well even if that is the case they are still paying other taxes. For those who don't have those exemptions they will also be paying more under Cain's plan. The poor will be paying more under Cain's plan. The Middle Class will be paying more under Cain's plan. Increase taxes on the poor and middle class to cut taxes on the wealthy.

If anything is class warfare its Cain's plan.
oh stop it with trying to help the poor and middle class already

Cain is a nothing more than a flim flam artist that has fooled a decent amount of the public. Can you believe how some are actually cheering on a plan that will hurt them financially?

The problem is out of control spending which Cain doesn't address. Big government and their spending got us into this mess yet some want more of the same. When the people go into debt the answer is not more spending.

from Herman Cains own columns

This clown never saw the housing bubble which ruined the economy.
Commentary: The Media Say the Economy Is Horrible, So It Must Be True

He said 1 week before the collapse everything was fine.
North Star Writers Group - Syndicated Commentary: Opinion, Humor and Features

What's the theory here, sooner or later he'll get it right?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The definition of "necessities" will vary from person to person, or even from business to business. I have certain expenses that are absolutely necessary for me to stay in business. I also have expenses that are absolutely necessary for me to stay clothed, fed, and sheltered.

Sales taxes are a fraction of anyone's income. The vast majority are paying the bulk of their income on shelter. So unless the sales tax includes rents and mortgages, nobody will be paying the bulk of their income on taxed goods.

Cain wants to use his national sales tax as a transition to the FairTax, which taxes rent but not existing home purchases.

So I assume he wants to tax rents, and most low-income renters spend at least half their income on shelter, so taxing rent would be a big problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,336,868 times
Barack O'Bama may have gotten his Nobel Peace Prize out of a crackerjack box, but Herman Cain got his tax plan out of a video game.

"Herman Cain propose a simplified tax system like one we designed for the video game SimCity 4,' Mr Katsarelis continued."

Read more: Did Herman Cain take 999 tax plan from SimCity video game? | Mail Online

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,334,398 times
What about the states that already pay a sales tax? Will the 9% be added on top of that? More than likely it would be added since those state taxes are not dictated by the federal government but by the states themselves. As mentioned before the lower income bracket folks will never be able to saving anything because they will be spending it all on necessities that the rich take for granted. In other words this is a fancy name for a tax cut for the wealthy. This should not surprise anyone since Cain himself would enjoy a tax break.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,047,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Barack O'Bama may have gotten his Nobel Peace Prize out of a crackerjack box, but Herman Cain got his tax plan out of a video game.

"Herman Cain propose a simplified tax system like one we designed for the video game SimCity 4,' Mr Katsarelis continued."

Read more: Did Herman Cain take 999 tax plan from SimCity video game? | Mail Online
Somehow I don't see Cain himself playing this video game. But - he hasn't said specifically where the idea came from, and it is likely that an "aide" or two have played SimCity. 999 sounds so nice, doesn't it - great slogan! Horrible idea!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,814,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What about the states that already pay a sales tax? Will the 9% be added on top of that? More than likely it would be added since those state taxes are not dictated by the federal government but by the states themselves.
The 9% sales tax is on top of whatever state and county sales tax you currently pay. But the key is to stick to "used" goods so you don't have to pay that - left-over pizza, half-eaten hamburgers, doughnuts with teeth marks on them etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Somehow I don't see Cain himself playing this video game. But - he hasn't said specifically where the idea came from, and it is likely that an "aide" or two have played SimCity.
Rich Lowrie, the Wells Fargo branch employee played it when he was visiting his nephew. Immediately he took down the idea on the back of a napkin, took it home and sold it to Cain, in return for a week's unlimited supply of Cain's signature Bacon Cheeseburger frozen pizza (ordinarily $9.99 a pie), handcrafted by Cain himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections