Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Herman Cain
I'm working class and 999 will result in a tax cut 14 30.43%
I'm working class and 999 will increase my taxes 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you read the plan, it will even out. My income tax will drop which will more than make up for the increase in other taxes.
Unless you have no or very little deductions you will see your taxes increase unless of course you have a strange definition of working class. Cain himself can't get the math right. Middle class families would be especially hit hard by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. I will not pay more taxes under Herman Cain's plan and I will not be paying taxes so that others who pay no taxes can get a "refund". I am not rich but I am sick and tired of seeing people who pay not one penny of income tax run out and buy a new car with their "refund".
I am sick and tired of the wealthy putting their boots on the necks of the poor and middle class of this country. The poor deserve a break on their taxes, while the rich need to start paying their fair share. This current system -- this wealth transfer from the 99% to the top 1% -- has sucked us dry for far too long, and it needs to stop. Don't you realize your policies are killing this country?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,420,208 times
[quote=northstar22;21291361]I am sick and tired of the wealthy putting their boots on the necks of the poor and middle class of this country. The poor deserve a break on their taxes, while the rich need to start paying their fair share. This current system -- this wealth transfer from the 99% to the top 1% -- has sucked us dry for far too long, and it needs to stop. Don't you realize your policies are killing this country?[/quote

No tax "refunds" for people who never paid income tax. It's simple.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times
Quote:

No tax "refunds" for people who never paid income tax. It's simple.
Fortunately, you don't get to decide who gets tax refunds.

Also, people who "don't pay taxes" do, in fact, pay taxes. It's called withholding, when a company keeps a certain portion of an employee's paycheck for tax purposes. Most refund money is exactly that -- a refund of the money withheld from individuals' paychecks. People who don't have jobs (or other sources of income) don't get tax refunds.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,606,654 times
Default lol...

Quote:
You are mistaken. I will not pay more taxes under Herman Cain's plan and I will not be paying taxes so that others who pay no taxes can get a "refund". I am not rich but I am sick and tired of seeing people who pay not one penny of income tax run out and buy a new car with their "refund".
Income tax...

The lower income folks pay plenty of taxes, as do we all, in fact they pay a larger share of their payroll in taxes than anyone else. Are you willing to swap they're percentage for yours?

Accounts Receivable Tax

Accumulated Earnings Tax
Ad Valorem Tax (includes duties on imported items), also see Property tax

Alternative Minimum Tax

Aviation Fuel Tax

Capital Gains Tax

Cement and Gypsum Producers License Tax

Cigarette Tax

Coal Severance Tax

Coal Gross Proceeds Tax

Consumer Counsel Tax

Consumption Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Corporation License Tax

Court Fines (revenue from many activities)

Customs Duty

Dog License Tax

Double Tax

Electrical Energy Producers Tax

Estate Tax, Inheritance

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax

Fishing License Tax

Food Service License Tax

Fuel Permit License Tax

Gas Guzzler Tax

Gasoline Tax (8 to 35 cents per gallon) Per tank?

Generation-skipping Transfer Tax

Gift Tax

Gross Production Tax

Hospital Facility Utilization Fee Tax

Hunting License Fee Tax

Inheritance Tax, see Estate Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges

IRS Penalties Tax

Kiddie Tax

Land Value Tax

Liquor License Tax

Liquor Tax

Local Tax

Lodging Facility Use Tax

Luxury Tax

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Metal Mines Gross Proceeds Tax

Metal Mines License Tax

Miscellaneous Mineral Mines License Tax

Miscellaneous Mines Net Proceeds Tax

Nursing Facility Bed Tax

Oil and Natural Gas Production Tax

Parking Meter Tax

Payroll Tax

Professional PrivilegeTax

Property Tax

Proxy Tax

Public Contractor's Gross Receipts Tax

Public Service Commission Tax

Public Utility Tax

Real Estate Tax

Real Estate Transfer Tax

Rental Vehicle Sales Tax

Resort Tax

Resource Indemnity and Groundwater Assessment Tax

Retail Telecommunications Excise Tax

Sales Tax

School Tax

Self-Employment Tax

Septic Permit Tax

Severance Tax

Social Security Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax

Statewide Emergency Telephone 911 System Fee Tax

Surtax Tax - Extra tax.

Tariffs - A tax on imports. Needed to protect all the industries we used to have.

Telephone Federal Excise Tax

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Since May of 1997, "This helps provide affordable phone service and gives schools, libraries, and rural healthcare providers access to the Internet."

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

TDD Telecommunications Service Fee Tax

Tobacco Products Tax (Other than Cigarettes)

Toll Road Fee Tax

Toll Bridge Fee Tax

Toll Tunnel Fee Tax

Tonnage Tax

Traffic Fines

Trailer Registration Fee Tax

Use Tax

Utility Tax, see Public Utility Tax

Vehicle Registration and License Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Wholesale Energy Transaction Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,315,316 times
Which advisor of his came up with this plan anyway? And note Cain is a big fan of Alan Greenspan. There is no benefit to this so what's the point? He equates this to jobs somehow yet their is no connection whatsoever. Its just smoke and mirrors.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What % of working people even save? A family of 4 earning even $50,000 a year cannot afford to save anything, or at best, very little. So almost all of that 50G is being spent on necessities, and that will all be taxed at 9%. Whereas, a family of 4 with an income of $5 million is probably saving lots, and a much smaller % of their income will be spent, and thus subject to the consumption tax. THus, the wealthy not only get their taxes lowered significantly on their income, but they do not pay anywhere near the same % of their income on the sales tax as a low income family does.

Exactly, it's regressive. I don't see how this will help the economy either.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Which advisor of his came up with this plan anyway? And note Cain is a big fan of Alan Greenspan. There is no benefit to this so what's the point? He equates this to jobs somehow yet their is no connection whatsoever. Its just smoke and mirrors.

Fox News had some guy on TV who came up with it but I didn't catch his name. They also had Arthur Laffer, the guy who gave us the famous Laffer Curve. They were bubbling with enthusiasm over the plan.

Will thus "trump" the job drag of Obamacare and really create new jobs?

I don't see how 999 can avoid killing consumption and demand in this country.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM

15,115 posts, read 8,647,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hopefully this will get the debate started though and if the repubs take over which they well might they can get a flat tax down and passed.

Yes indeed ... the debate is in full swing, but honestly ... I doubt there is enough intellectual capacity possessed by the body politic to expect anything more than continued disaster.

The more I read along in the various discussions concerning Herman Cain, the less hopeful I become about any positive change in the near term. And here's why ...

We already know Obama is a nightmare, and with him, we can expect nothing but more disaster. And we've gone through the nightmare of Bush, and combined between these two sock puppets, the greatest financial heist in the history of the human race was perpetrated by the banker gangsters, not to mention the wars and the police state apparatus constructed around us under the guise of homeland security. Bush's arrogance and his warmongering neocon cronies set the stage for Obama ... the first "Black" President, because frankly, the people were so sick of those criminals, anyone would have looked like a savior, and particularly a well spoken man like Obama, who appealed to many people, bridging gaps that had never before been bridged. And as the cult of personality took charge in the Obama advertising campaign, I predicted that Obama was going to be nothing more than Bush on steroids, able to accelerate the agenda, under the cover of blaming the problems and hard solutions as necessitated by Bush's incompetence. (it's always the same game with these guys ... it's always the other guy who caused all of the problems). Nevertheless, that's precisely what has happened. More wars, more spending ... more lawlessness ... and more big bailouts for the crooks.

Now that the banker gangsters have looted the treasury to the tune of 12 to 16 Trillion dollars under the watchful eyes of both Bush and Obama ... and we're up to our eyeballs in massive debt ... somebody has to pay that bill! And, along comes Herman Cain ... the "Man with the Plan". He has a plan alright. Got a headache? No problem, just put your mouth around this 45, and pull the triger.

The title of this thread is perfect ... Cain Leads with simplicity and 999. And for the simple minded (which seems to cover vast territory these days), the 999 plan sounds dandy. However, if you possess 4th grade math skills, the Cain candy ain't so dandy, as it is absolutely elementary math that reveals the obscene nature of what this Federal Reserve Banker shill wishes to foist on the American people. Apparently, having our wallets lifted isn't bad enough, now, Cain is coming after the change in your pockets. And many of you think that's a great idea?

Forget the argument about who or what defines "wealthy". It doesn't matter what they pay or don't pay in taxes when it comes to the day to day struggles of the working middle and working poor. That argument may stir some emotion and jealousy (which is the purpose of such arguments) ... but forget that. It's there to divert your attention. Just look at what this 999 plan does to the bottom 50%, not the top 50%.

Right now, the bottom 50% (incomes at $36,000 and under) pay from ZERO to about 12% in federal income and payroll taxes .... the bottom 10% pay nothing and actually receive tax credits (which I also don't agree with, from my conservative viewpoint). Under the Cain 999 plan, those people will have their taxes increased from between 6 and 18%. That's the hard cold numbers ... and you cannot spin it, dice it, slice it in any way to change those facts. This is not subjective opinion ... this is simple math.

This, at a time when unemployment is high, and the economy is staggering (which always impacts the lower income folks much more than the upper incomes) is immoral to say the very least. That's the kindest adjective to describe what Cain proposes. And Cain is either a complete imbecile lacking 4th grade math skills, or he believes that at least 51% of the American public is. (and his growing popularity is evidence that this might be the case). And you can bet he isn't that stupid. He's just the next step in the long, on-going, incremental process of shearing the sheep right down to the bare flesh. And you all had better grow up, wake up, and smell the damn coffee.

Now, for those of you who say "tough crap for the bottom 50%, I really don't care ... they need to pay their fair share too" ... I got news for you selfish and clueless people .... there has been a top down attack on you for years, and the raw numbers show that middle and upper middle class Americans have been taking hit after hit financially, while the top most wealthy have done extremely well, at your expense (not at the expense of the poor). But now, you're going to get it from the bottom up too ... the attack is now preparing for a second front to attack from the rear.

There is an old joke (which holds a large element of truth) that the very rich are there to keep the majority in the middle working hard to reach that top, and the poor are there to scare the hell out of them so they never decide to quit due to lack of making it there.

Well, for those immersed in pure selfishness, the poor people serve another purpose too ... they are significant portion of the domestic economy .... no they don't by Jets and Yachts and BMW's .... and they do nothing for the 5 Star hotel industry, or any of the other sectors which cater to the big bucks. But they do consume .... they eat ... they wear clothes ... they do patronize entertainment establishments, and even though they have little financial impact individually, collectively, 100 Million people represent hundreds of Billions of domestic economic activity annually. Kill them, and you're killing yourself (unless you are a member of the top 2%).

Now, the reality is ... Herman Cain wants you to believe that he's doing you a favor ...that this financial mess we're in is because the Federal government just doesn't have enough money to pay the bills ... and that the unemployment is the fault of the unemployed and or the government (he keeps flip flopping on that point). So his plan is going to generate the needed revenue to straighten things out ... and it's actually not going to hurt the poor .... as he claims, they may see some increase in taxes, but the costs of things are going to go down,and that will make up the difference.

Well, folks, there are only three at the table here. There is Government, Business, and People. And if the goal is to get more money for the Government to pay the bills, it can only come from the other two ... Business or the People. Guess who is going to pay? Got a clue? Need a freaking hint?

If you buy into this nonsensical madness of 999, you're missing the entire point. Any candidate, be it for president or congress should be "qualified" by one measure only ... and that is not how to generate more money for government to spend, which is Cain's only approach. The only legitimate way to restore economic prosperity to the country and the people is for government spending to be cut dramatically. And I do not mean cuts to grandma's Social Security check that she barely gets by on now, or cuts to the programs that help the poor have a decent meal, while we subsidize Billionaires with Trillions of tax dollars in bail outs and fraudulent free trade schemes.

No, the only way we the people can come out of this intact, is by addressing the real problems which Cain dismisses altogether. The financial structure that has the Federal Reserve and Wall Street gangsters looting the joint needs to be stopped dead in it's tracks. Spending on wars and military misadventures around the world need to end, yesterday. And taxes need to be reduced for the bottom 99%, while the mega corporations need to be given an ultimatum .... pay or play. Either increase dramatically the taxes on the vast majority of corporations who are paying nothing now, or allow them to continue to avoid those taxes based on their compliance to return a significant portion of manufacturing back home in the USA, returning those jobs to the people who's hard labor and ingenuity created those American corporations in the first place!

I ask myself occasionally ... when did I go to sleep one night on planet earth, and wake up the next morning on planet stupid? Hey, that may sound extremely harsh, and not very flattering to a large percentage of my fellow Americans ... but really ... it's the reality. There is no excuse for the level of stupidity being demonstrated ... and I make no apology for pointing it out. Someone has to deliver the slap in the face ... the cold bucket of water dumped on the head to wake people up.

As the left has always cried foul when republicans give tax breaks to the rich ... here comes Herman Cain (ex Federal Reserve Board member) with his bottle of snake oil, and now it sounds good to increase the taxes on the lower income folks? What?

Time after time, we have these slick talking politicos paraded in front of the public, each one bearing their little bags of promises and fixes. And over and over and over again, they eventually prove themselves to be total frauds and liars. Yet, the next one that comes along is embraced as "The One" who is telling the truth this time. And time after time, the public gobbles this crap up like starving dogs on a bag of kibble. And you don't think you need a slap in the face? Oh "Yes You Do".

Do you want to know what one of our biggest problems really is? Someone posted a video of an interview with prospective voters after one of the presidential debates. And several of them raised their hands when asked how many of them knew very little or nothing about Herman Cain before the debate. Then the next question was presented, how many of you now support Herman Cain ... and most of those same people raised their hands.

So, in the space of 15 minutes of face time among the several candidates debating ... Herman Cain was able to attract a large number of voters to his side, even though most of them knew little to nothing about the man before the debate began. 15 minutes of BS answers to softball questions, and they're totally on board? Absolutely amazing.

We've become that stereotypical lonely middle aged divorcee longing for someone to say "I love you". The first slick talker that comes along and says those magic words ... boom ... it's true love!

It's very sad. And if we continue doing the same thing over and over, we're going to keep getting exactly what we've got. A lot of empty promises, and no real solutions.

Anyone who thinks that government doesn't get enough money ... and that taxes need to be raised needs to shut up and wake up.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I agree with Glitch, it's DOA.

With corporate control in it's present state, tax reform will come in minor tweaks, hard fought battles and back door slip-ins within contentious pieces of legislation.

This place would literally have to come apart at the seams for any legitimate tax reform to see the light of day.
It is not just corporations that support the current means of taxation. As painful as it may be, I can think of no better tax system than one based upon income.

I want to know, to the penny, exactly how much money I am paying my government. A consumption tax, sales tax, or VAT would never be able to give me that information, but a direct income tax would.

We already have numerous examples of different taxes and how they are hidden from the those paying the taxes. For example, how much money did you (or anyone) pay, to the penny, in your federal communications tax last year? Or, how much money, to the penny, did you pay in federal gasoline consumption taxes? Nobody tracks these expenditures, therefore, nobody can answer those questions. Hence, they are "hidden" taxes.

When I have to write out a check to the federal government for the amount of taxes I owe, then I know without any doubt precisely how much I am paying in taxes. As much as I hate paying taxes, I much prefer knowing than not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections