Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 6 37.50%
No 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,936,858 times

Advertisements

This has to do win Cain.

I was talking with a guy at work this morning about these trumped up allegations. I said what is sexual harassment, who makes the call on that? Is me sticking my tongue out at you sexual harassment? Is me even looking at you sexual harassment?

This is why I say this hit job on Cain pisses me off so much.

So what would make you uncomfortable enough to go and speak to HR, I just dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,155,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
This has to do win Cain.

I was talking with a guy at work this morning about these trumped up allegations. I said what is sexual harassment, who makes the call on that? Is me sticking my tongue out at you sexual harassment? Is me even looking at you sexual harassment?

This is why I say this hit job on Cain pisses me off so much.

So what would make you uncomfortable enough to go and speak to HR, I just dont get it.
Forget Cain, I think every man on the forum would appreciate some understanding of what women subjectively think crosses the line.

Like "Hey, did you change your hair? It looks great."

I've had some HR people say that even the most innocuous comments could be sexual harassment...

Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,238,108 times
I know it takes A LOT to offend me, so sexual talk and gestures in the workplace don't really bother me. I think it's kind of pathetic but I know women who are just as bad, if not worse, than guys.

Doesn't really help you men out does it? Sorry

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,043,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I know it takes A LOT to offend me, so sexual talk and gestures in the workplace don't really bother me. I think it's kind of pathetic but I know women who are just as bad, if not worse, than guys.

Doesn't really help you men out does it? Sorry
Agreed.

It would take propositioning, inappropriate touching, intimidation, blatant harrassing to warrant a complaint, IMO. I know many women are just looking for $$ or to settle a score and get someone fired. It is not to say men do not do the same thing when they are subordinate to a woman in the workplace. It is a two way street.

Frankly, I'd probably us OC spray if I felt "harrassed/threatened" and a man did not back off when told. Then march to HR and let the man try to explain why his face is red and tearing up.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,387,612 times
It really depends. Some people have very thin skins.

I am middle aged and got my degree in engineering. It takes a LOT to offend me. Here is a joke some guy told at the workplace about twenty years ago.

One of the maintenance guys came over to me while I was taling to a male engineer and a male technician. The maintenance guy says, "Did you know that one out of four men are sexually harassed in the workplace? Let's see: Mike, Bill, me, hey Fred you wanna come over here so we can get started?" I genuinely thought that was funny but I can see how a gal who does not know engineers humor might have taken offense.

On the other hand when I was a young intern (19), some older guy touched me in an inappropriate way. This was WAY before any sexual harassment policies in the workplace. I told the guy if he touched me again I'd break his $^#%ing arm. He left me alone.

I think before going to HR I'd still take that route. I'd like to see the male who would report ME to HR for threatening him.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,487,103 times

SNL - Sexual Harassment and You - YouTube.mp4 - YouTube

This should clear it up.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,818,096 times
I am a guy and I may be in the minority here, but I don't think any woman would go and file a complaint for sexual harassment because a man said that she was the height of her wife. That's ridiculous and anyone hearing that would laugh at it. If that woman just wanted to fleece him for the $, why use a stupid situation like that? Why not totally make up a more raunchy story? It's not like a man can disprove it. So I think there's more to the story than just him saying that, especially since he has revealed that he knows about the incident.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,981,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Hilarious. You beat me to it. It is so true.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,866,328 times
Watched the video, haha, it shouldn't be funny but it is...

Me personally, I have pretty strict rules about how I would want a male coworker to treat me (however that doesn't mean I'd necessarily go screaming to HR if someone crossed a line in some way). I work in a less-professional environment where everybody else seems to be less strict about it than me, and a lot of people where I work date each other and nobody has issues with it (though they often behave in ways I wouldn't).

I suppose if a guy was really offensive about his interest in me, or was way too public about it, or wouldn't take no for an answer (that's different than simply wanting to know why) or if it was a higher-up I guess I'd be really uncomfortable, but someone would have to really cross the lines for me to go to HR about it.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,273,667 times
Well I work in a factory and we have a 0 tolerance for sexual harrassment.
How I conduct myself.
I never touch females.
Even if the female is using off color humor I never join in.
If I need to confront the female I always make it a 2 to1.
If I see men on my team joking with a feamle on the team and they take it off color, I stop it.
The reason.
1. its company policy
2. In my experience peoples moods change. Today it was fine to tell dumb blond jokes. The female laughed. Tomorow she isn't in the mood for it and is offended.
3. Women don't like to be pawed by men with dirty hands not even their husbands. Why would they want to be pawed at work?
Real experience. We had a woman talked like a sailor. told more sex jokes than all the men combined. Talked about her sex life like most talk about what they had for lunch. She would grab azz talk about her abilities in the sack. No shame at all. Thats fine its a modern world and her stories were always funny.
1 day a guy caught her when she was in a bad mood. She was walking in front of him.
He put his thumb out the fly of his pants and called her.
hey (name) I feel a draft any idea why?
She never said a word went right to HR and that guy was fired.
He deserved to fired if for no other reason he was so stupid.
Any other day she would have grabbed his thumb and yanked on it. thats how she was.
I dont care who you are or what sex you are. Some days your in the mood for the game and some days your not. The smart decision is to simply not play the game at all.
Another example and this was real.
A new girl very attractive a very good girl if you know what I mean.
A guy on my team couldnt keep his hands to himself or his suggestions.
I noticed she was quieter than usual. When I approached her she jumped.
I was stunned. I had never yelled at her, confronted her in any way and she was afraid of me.
I asked her what was wrong and she began to cry. She said I dont want any trouble but I need this job.
My blood began to boil. This could be my wife.
I took her off the floor she was a nervous wreck.
She told me what was going on crying so hard.
I went out to the floor and sent the person to another line. I then called my manager and HR.
Within 2 hours the decision was made that man was fired. He was sent home while corporate legal crossed the T's and dotted the I's.
I was labled a snitch, as if I cared.
That woman is now a ranking Tech and a gifted leader. She was nearly ruined by a scaum bag.
Some women will use sexual harrassment or discrimination as a tool. No maybe I have seen it often enough.
But many never report it ,depending on the supervisors to save them.
men my advice 1 man to another JUST DON'T PLAY THAT GAME.
The company policy. If you wouldnt say it to your mother, priest or 6 yearold daughter don't say on company property. The same applies for actions.
You wouldn't fondle your mom's, daughters or priests butt. Dont do it at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections