Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times

Advertisements

It wasn't a total loss for Ohio tonight, they soundly repudiated Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Ohioans voted Tuesday night to repeal a Republican-backed law that restricted collective bargaining for public workers, a victory for Democrats and labor organizers both nationally and in the state.
AP has declared Issue 2 (as the law was called on the ballot) dead. As of this writing, with about a quarter of precincts in, repeal led by a whopping 63 to 37 percent margin.

Gov. John Kasich (R) took office in January vowing to curb unions’ power. But he appears to have overstepped his hand in curtailing the rights of 350,000 public workers — including firefighters and police officers — to negotiate over benefits, equipment and other issues. "

Issue 2 falls, Ohio collective bargaining law repealed - The Washington Post
I realize that this vote does play a little with national politics, but this is as it should be; let Ohio voters decide for itself, what Ohio desires.

Personally, I have the same take on this as FDR did, that public sector unions are a bad idea, it pits the government employees against the people, and the people are denied a say in the out come.

In a private sector meeting between the union negotiators, the union members, and the employer, someone will leave the negotiation table as the loser. Either the employer gives in to union demands, and more profits are expended for improved wages or benefits, or the union wins, and they get increased union dues, due to increased gains by union members.

In a meeting between the government employees and the politicians, everyone can leave a winner; the employees get fat wage and benefit increases, the union leaders get to keep their jobs and increased membership dues payments from the members. The politicians get more campaign donations from the union, they receive get out the vote drives, they get favorable campaign ads, and issue ads. It's a veritable win-win for all parties concerned, everyone is a winner. ... except the taxpayers, who will be on the hook to pay these unrealistic wages and benefits.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It wasn't a total loss for Ohio tonight, they soundly repudiated Obamacare.
I like you, Dixie, but that isn't the thread topic.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,002,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Republicans have been overstepping their hand since they took over the House.

To me, the results of this election may very well equal +44 for Obama.
Ohioans also passed a amendment by the same margin to be able to opt out of OBAMACARE -44 for Obama. Its only symbolic though if the Supreme Court decides in favor for this national healthcare nightmare.

Obama will lose in Ohio in 2012.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,987,405 times
Tonight no doubt was not about paying 100%. It was about hubris, when either party gets too extreme, moderates will tug them back. Tonight was a solid message which if heeded, is instructive. If not heeded, well Kasich was warned.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I like you, Dixie, but that isn't the thread topic.

Gee, sorry, but we are talking about Ohio, right? It just illustrates that people don't like extremes in either direction I guess. And that Ohio is still "just a swingin' "...lol.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,293 times
Ohio stood up for the working people and defeated the over-reaching governor
Arizona stood up for the dignity and freedom from oppression of people and re-called their over-reaching senate president
Maine stood up for the voter and defeated the measures of the over-reaching governor that would make voting harder for the citizens.

Message to the over-reaching politicians that have gradually destroyed the rights and future of the 99% of our country's citizens......You're next.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
The Republicans could not mobilize enough poor white trash to vote against their own economic best interests. A win tonite for the vast majority of America.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Gee, sorry, but we are talking about Ohio, right? It just illustrates that people don't like extremes in either direction I guess. And that Ohio is still "just a swingin' "...lol.

Yes, it concerns Ohio, but references the repeal of Senate Bill 5, which affected the ability of workers to bargain and cut their benefits. I agree with you; I think that most Americans are more moderate than the talking heads would have us believe. Extremism tends to make sensible people nervous, and rightfully so.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,293 times
A defeat for the Koch brothers and a win for the working people of Ohio. Now I hope this message spreads across the nation. Our country is not for sale....maybe our politicians are but NOT the 99% of our citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections