Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It is a well known fact of life that doing business with Democratic candidates and events have always been with unionized companies. When we do direct mailings for Democratic candidates, the mailings have to printed at union shops. When political buttons, banners, and other materials are made they are made at union shops. When we contract with lighting and sound re-enforcement companies, they are union shops. We support unions and unions support the Democratic Party. It rather simple really.
well said. "Right to work" in the sout means, in actuality, "at will."..there is no employment law protecting employees rigts. Its cheap for the fortune 500 big box cheap retail employers.

For human beings not so good. Civil law does not exist , and corporations are exempt from negligence in the court
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM

277 posts, read 229,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Good, I'm glad one of the parties is taking a stand and going out of their way to support workers who make a living wage rather than low-wage non-union jobs. God forbid workers make enough money to support their families....

low wage NON union jobs???

I would have to LOWER my shops wages to come down to union scale

Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We Democrats are finally putting out money where our mouths are. Good.

Back in the day I managed some construction jobs. Some of the work, in the USA, was dome by a non-union contractor. The work in Canada was done by the Iron Workers and the Teamsters. In the US I had to teach the guys how to do the job without hurting themselves of damaging the equipment. In Canada they taught me. I vastly preferred working with the UNION.
I have to teach the union clowns what end of a wrench is what

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,571,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
I have to teach the union clowns what end of a wrench is what
Bet they can teach you how to drink coffee or beer on the job while smoking a joint or crack pipe on their lunch break.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,852,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Good, I'm glad one of the parties is taking a stand and going out of their way to support workers who make a living wage rather than low-wage non-union jobs. God forbid workers make enough money to support their families....
I would guess you have never been employed in a RTW state. I assure you wages are just as high as they are in your union areas in relation to cost of living, if not higher. Stop by Raleigh and visit with all the relocated northerners from heavy union areas, and ask them how much better their quality of life is. The best part of a RTW state is, being a valuable employee actually allows you to get ahead of the more senior, yet subpar, employee. Imagine that!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,527,530 times
Love how all the right to work states are the poorest ones.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,199,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Tell that to those of us who have made the mistake of buying a GM, Chrysler, or Ford vehicle only to suffer through many thousands of dollars of repairs.

The workers don't design the crappy cars they just build them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hiring Union contractors and buying materials from Union shops is our perogative. We, in the Democratic Party, have found that although the price may be slightly higher the quality is far superior.
I'm honestly impressed they're actually sticking to their guns for once, though no doubt it's to keep Richard Trumka from kvetching on tv again and threatening to knock over the apple cart like they did in the Arkansas senate race last year.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 11-07-2011 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
The workers don't design the crappy cars they just build them.
oh, the designers are not workers???

Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,199,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
oh, the designers are not workers???
Don't play deliberately obtuse you know the poster was referring to the factory workers not corporate.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Your only experience is what you see as a labor union family member and what you hear from your labor union husband. The idea that some labor union apprentice program is equal or greater in your opinion to a real education is frightening to say the least, the level of brainwashing that goes on in the labor union community is just insane.

No I don't need to hire a union shop steward to carry this box to my trade show booth. No I don't need to hire a 3 hour min. union carpenter to put a screw in this piece of wood. No I don't need to hire a 3 hour min. union "electrician" to change that light bulb. No I don't need to pay anyone from the union to roll my tool box into the facility.

Once people start to stand up to these overpaid goons we'll start making progress in this country.

Your ASSumptions are just mindblowing Backspace. You are right and there's no room for discussion.

How about the fact that my husband was a NON-union electrician before he was a union electrician? How about the fact that he knew what crap the non-union companies he worked for (three) had going on and how maybe one guy knew what they were doing and barely supervised the rest of them and how they really couldn't learn much on the job because of the slipshot work going on? Yes, I am a brainwashed spouse of a lock-step union employee. You need to get over yourself when everyone doesn't agree with your world view. My husband ended up, at age 31, choosing to go through a 5 year training program with a fire alarm add on to get the knowledge he wasn't getting from those bozos at ABC Electric. He also tests every year for three different licenses and takes continuing education to keep up on technological changes. I can assure you, that's not going on in my area with the $13 per hour electricians that come to your home or build the local strip mall.

Look--I am not arguing that YOU may have witnessed EXACTLY the opposite of what I see going on. It happens. That doesn't make your worldview or your take on it the right one. I will admit that based on my knowledge of having five family members as electricians and one as a welder, in the same part of the country, means that my experience is quite narrow on what happens all over the country. But I like to think that I can come on here and talk about it without having some condescending blowhard like yourself get all snackered up over it and feel the need to tell me that MY OPINION is wrong and I'm brainwashed.

Basically you are brainwashed because you can't see past those blinders on your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections