Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, but do you or them give bucks to political campaigns or do you just, you know, vote?

Now there is a candidate with a proven record with Israel. He cultivates a business, trade, scientific research, agricultural and medical faculty and student exchange relationship with them, for his state. There is even a Texas-Israel Chamber of Commerce formed in 2007 but the Perry connection goes back even longer than that when Texas and Israel were exchanging agricultural information. Aw, that gave away the answer...

"We have a mission that involves becoming our members' best source for relationships and information to create trade, jobs and wealth in Texas and Israel. The Texas-Israel Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c)(6) non-profit business development organization that bridges Texas and Israel by identifying market, investment and technology opportunities and facilitates networking and cooperation between Texans and Israelis. A dynamic organization comprised of many of the highest quality business people and professionals in Texas and Israel, the Chamber's economic development activities directly benefit Texas, Israel and the communities in which we live. The Chamber is strongly supported by Governor Rick Perry of Texas as well as by Israel's Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Labor; both parties believe there are many opportunities for collaboration, especially in high tech industries."

Texas-Israel Chamber of Commerce - Home Page

And this election IS about jobs, business and the economy isn't it?

"Perry’s attachment and views on Israel were formed long before he had a presidential run in mind. (His staff points to his years in the Air Force and interaction with the Israel Defense Forces as formative.) Second, he views Israel as an asset, not a liability. The relationship to him is not simply a function of the geopolitical problems in the Middle East but stems from common values and shared political and economic interests. Third, he knows Israel and knows Israelis. No one has to convince him about the Jewish state’s geographic vulnerability or its ethnic diversity."

Rick Perry and Israel - Right Turn - The Washington Post
I believe God has blessed me with wise perception...and wisdom, Laura.

I love Israel....but, and regardless of your endorsement of Perry, as a pro-Israel man, I cannot be supportive of a man who has defied moral leadership....as Perry has done as Governor of Texas.

And now, his inept bumbling manner as a candidate....cancels out any asset he might be for Israel. - America desperately needs a POTUSA who will be an asset for America. - Perry is far from being that person!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM

36,661 posts, read 67,579,201 times
I hope so, and I hope that all candidate distance themselves from any voting block that specifically wants the US to intercede with regional politics on the other side of the world.

Being allied with Israel has been the bane of our existence over the past 4 decades.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,932 times
As a half Jew, he hasn't lost my vote. I'm not from Israel and I wish we would focus less of our energy and resources there.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,780 times
It's funny, conservatives want Jews on their side so bad. I've read several political articles by conservative pundits and writers who seem offended that Jews vote Democrat instead Republican. They reason that, if you have money, shouldn't you vote Republican? They also unconditionally support Israel when Israelis don't even really like Americans and persecute the Christians in their country.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM

400 posts, read 294,415 times
Oh, yes, these terrible days when an American President says something unflattering about a foreign leader.

Horrors!

How we all pine for the halcyon days of Bush peering into the KGB soul of Vladimir Putin and deciding "Hey, this is a guy I can trust!" ...

Quote:
"I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straight forward and trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul"
BBC News | EUROPE | Bush and Putin: Best of friends

Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
It's funny, conservatives want Jews on their side so bad. I've read several political articles by conservative pundits and writers who seem offended that Jews vote Democrat instead Republican. They reason that, if you have money, shouldn't you vote Republican? They also unconditionally support Israel when Israelis don't even really like Americans and persecute the Christians in their country.

As an American who lived in Israel for seven years I can tell you that Israelis, unlike many Europeans, love Americans. People there always wanted to practice their English with me and would literally tell me they love America. Furthermore, American TV programs and movies are very popular. Furthermore, there is freedom of religion in Israel, so I don't know of any Christian persecution unlike what happens in many Islamic countries.

That being said, many Israelis don't like Netanyahu. It is a democracy, and people have the freedom to speak out against their leaders. Check out any Israeli newspaper and read the editorial pages to see varying opinions.

Similarly, some American Jews like Bibi and others don't, which means President Obama's remarks will only offend some. Plus, he didn't really say anything too bad. It was Sarkozy who brought up the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections