Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
In any other election cycle I would agree with you, but there is a hardcore faction of the Tea Party that is fed up with getting stuck with candidates that are what they consider to be RINOs. Will they hold their noses and vote for Romney, like they did for McCain? Maybe, if Romney puts a Tea Partier on the ticket, but even that didn't work for McCain.
No, you are probably wrong there. We will vote, Republicans always do (most anyway) but the problem will be getting people out to really work for him. Without a lot of work, he can not win..We have seen this in the past, it takes more than our vote in November. There are more Democrats and independents that will not support a Republican without our work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, you are probably wrong there. We will vote, Republicans always do (most anyway) but the problem will be getting people out to really work for him. Without a lot of work, he can not win..We have seen this in the past, it takes more than our vote in November. There are more Democrats and independents that will not support a Republican without our work.
You could very well be right, that Republicans will vote for the Republican on the ticket no matter who it is. My comments are based on what I'm observing on many far right wing forums, where they claim they will not support Romney no matter what. As the election draws nearer, it's likely some will change their minds about that, but I agree, I don't see any of them getting out and doing the work to help him win.

And if the far right does end us supporting Romney, it really makes the last three years of Tea Party noise kind of pointless. The GOP gives them another RINO, and they get in line and vote for him. All of their rallying against the entrenched GOP establishment will have changed nothing.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,187,943 times
The same argument can be made if the opposite were to occur. If the Tea Party flavor of the week/month...who knows gets the nomination, Romney supporters will not be enthused to work for them either and even though they might vote for that person, Independents probably will not.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The same argument can be made if the opposite were to occur. If the Tea Party flavor of the week/month...who knows gets the nomination, Romney supporters will not be enthused to work for them either and even though they might vote for that person, Independents probably will not.
The effect would be minimal, as I have yet to see any proof that there are any real Romney enthusiasts out there (aside from you.) Any support I've seen for him appears to be tepid, to say the least. I doubt any Tea Party candidate would lament that loss of support, or even notice it.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,998,446 times
The effect of indys will decide the election. Quite frankly, the TPs as stand alones when 61% of America will vote are a big so what, less than Perot 1992. If they fail to garner mainstream support, the posssible nomination will be their sole claim to fame. No one will remember once 1/20/2013 comes around.

TP has 9% favorable rating o/s the TP, so yes, dixiegirl7, a TP man or woman is DOA Nov, 2012 for the big prize, the presidency. This is MLB WS, 2010 was the bush league games. 21% more (61% vs 40% of 2010) = tens of millions voting in non TP Koolaid land.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The effect would be minimal, as I have yet to see any proof that there are any real Romney enthusiasts out there (aside from you.) Any support I've seen for him appears to be tepid, to say the least. I doubt any Tea Party candidate would lament that loss of support, or even notice it.

You are surely not that naive. How do you think Romney maintains such a consistent percentage in the polls without a strong core of supporters. From the internal polling the Romney campaign is doing on their own, enthusiasm and support is extremely high. We are being flooded with requests to volunteer in states you really wouldn't think about being big Mitt Romney strongholds. Because I am one of the few that can tolerate this site and will do it, don't mistake that for lack of support. That is just lack of bs tolerance level.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,998,446 times
Sustaining being atop or within 2 in a field of 8 is underestimated. Its not an easy feat, especially when TP extremists are pushing their flavors of the week. If one averages the support weekly of MB, R(I)P, HC, etc, their support overall has been absolutely putrid (most under 1/2 of MR's avg support). As real primaries begin, as opposed to mini straw polls where our local high school pres got MORE votes, the pretenders will bow out fairly quick. Right now, these Gong Show contestants can stay around, on the cheap.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,408,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is true, but there is another interesting argument there and it sort of plays off what Nita said, but for the other side. I know a lot of Democrats who would work their butts off for Obama if Romney is nominated because he is percieved as the only real electoral threat to Obama among the other Democrats I know. They would be much less inclined to work hard for Obama if they felt he was a shoo in against a far right TP candidate.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,585,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is true, but there is another interesting argument there and it sort of plays off what Nita said, but for the other side. I know a lot of Democrats who would work their butts off for Obama if Romney is nominated because he is percieved as the only real electoral threat to Obama among the other Democrats I know. They would be much less inclined to work hard for Obama if they felt he was a shoo in against a far right TP candidate.
I see it that way too.

Also, I think OH is Obama's already as is MI and WI.

Florida will be the interesting one. It may come down to Hispanic turnout.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I see it that way too.

Also, I think OH is Obama's already as is MI and WI.

Florida will be the interesting one. It may come down to Hispanic turnout.

Ohio and PA and FLA are tied between Romney and Obama right now and we don't even have a nominee yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections