Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,233,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...he's a good debater but then Barack Obama decides not to debate.

Seriously, you have to consider it.

If I was Obama, I wouldn't debate. He's the sitting President. Why should he debate when all he'd do is play defense all night long? In 2008, there was no incumbent so a debate was a natural thing. But Obama doesn't have to debate if he doesn't want to. The debate would be all about a criticism of him and what he's done for the last 3.5 years. No matter who his opponent is in a debate, he can't win. Remember the movie "War Games" with a young Matthew Broderick and the computer and the tic tac toe game where the computer learned the only strategy was not to play? If I was Obama, that would be my strategy, too. No debates.
If Obama runs from a debate he will lose the election. Americans hate cowards .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Where does this idea come from that Newt is a master debater? Are the Republicans just excited that they can count ONE person in their ranks who is not a manifest idiot who can't count to three? That doesn't mean Newt is a genius people. For some of us, you have to do a lot more than remember which federal programs you're going to cut to be considered smart.
Or the way former congressman Alan Grayson described Gingrich, as "A Stupid Person's Idea of What a Smart Person Looks Like"! And just look around us at the sort of folks who think he's "smart"... LOL!!

Grayson on Gingrich: "A Stupid Person's Idea of What a Smart Person Looks Like" - YouTube

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Or the way former congressman Alan Grayson described Gingrich, as "A Stupid Person's Idea of What a Smart Person Looks Like"! And just look around us at the sort of folks who think he's "smart"... LOL!!

[]
What does Grayson do now? Work in the complaint department at Macy's yelling at everybody?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,714 times
The media and the left are only making Republicans think its ok to nominate Gingrich. It is an ambush though. They are holding their fire until he is nominated. This guy has way too much luggage and the fact that they are not using it should be obvious as to their intentions. A Newt nomination means 4 more years of Obama.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,341,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
America will not elect Ron Paul.

But I certainly hope that Ron Paul decides to pull a Ross Perot (and run as an independent when he doesn't get the GOP nomination. That will be the absolute clincher for President Obama's 2nd term in office.
Yeah, because Obama's 1st term has been just dandy!

3,457 posts, read 3,626,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...he's a good debater but then Barack Obama decides not to debate.

Seriously, you have to consider it.

If I was Obama, I wouldn't debate. He's the sitting President. Why should he debate when all he'd do is play defense all night long? In 2008, there was no incumbent so a debate was a natural thing. But Obama doesn't have to debate if he doesn't want to. The debate would be all about a criticism of him and what he's done for the last 3.5 years. No matter who his opponent is in a debate, he can't win. Remember the movie "War Games" with a young Matthew Broderick and the computer and the tic tac toe game where the computer learned the only strategy was not to play? If I was Obama, that would be my strategy, too. No debates.
Gingrich is a pretty good speaker, but personally i don't think it will be too difficult for Obama to tear apart his policy proposals and make them look silly.

Problem is, Gingrich's "solutions" very much resemble the "problems" which got us into crisis. It will not be difficult for the Dems to associate Newt with crony capitalism and financial inequality, aka, the GOP blind spot.

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The media and the left are only making Republicans think its ok to nominate Gingrich. It is an ambush though. They are holding their fire until he is nominated. This guy has way too much luggage and the fact that they are not using it should be obvious as to their intentions. A Newt nomination means 4 more years of Obama.
Don't blame Gingrich on the left. We have been saying all along this guy's a crackpot. The right just seems to want to commit political suicide this year. If they nominate Newt and go on to historic defeat they will have no one to blame but themselves... sure will be a great debate though, huh?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,341,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Gingrich is a pretty good speaker, but personally i don't think it will be too difficult for Obama to tear apart his policy proposals and make them look silly.
I don't think it will be too difficult for Gingrich to tear apart Obama's current record of the last 3 years.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,714 times
Quote:
Don't blame Gingrich on the left. We have been saying all along this guy's a crackpot. The right just seems to want to commit political suicide this year. If they nominate Newt and go on to historic defeat they will have no one to blame but themselves... sure will be a great debate though, huh?
It would be a great debate. But the media is holding back though. One gets the impression that they are trying to stack the deck as much as they can to get the match-up they want.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times
Quote:
Where does this idea come from that Newt is a master debater? Are the Republicans just excited that they can count ONE person in their ranks who is not a manifest idiot who can't count to three? That doesn't mean Newt is a genuis people. For some of us, you have to do a lot more than remember which federal programs you're going to cut to be considered smart.
I think most of this thinking comes from conservatives that conflate the quality of rhetoric with how closely it matches up with their preconceived beliefs. Since Newt tells them exactly what they want to hear and seems to agree with what they already think is correct, he is deemed to be a master of debate. I personally have always found Newt to come across as sanctimonious and arrogant with zero scruples. I am not so sure that the independents and moderates that actually decide presidential elections will be as enamored with Newt as the extreme right wing conservatives are. These same people thought that the country would love Sarah Palin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections