Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
I will only discuss this one quote with a question.
If President Obama isn't beholden to fringe elements of his constituency then
why does he block the Keystone pipeline, that even his own supporters ( Unions ) want, and is guaranteed to produce over 20,000 jobs almost immediately. There will be many more in indirect support roles while making America a little less dependent on foreign governments who are unabashedly un American and wish us harm?
Simple answer: The Oglalla Aquifer.
The present design for the pipeline is not thorough enough for assured protection of a breakage, and an oil spill into the aquifer will literally kill a several states' clean water supply forever.

The companies invovled in the pipeline's construction haven't had the project killed- they have to come back with better and sturdier designs if they intend to proceed. It's up to them- if they do so, Obama will reconsider. If not, then it's stopped until they do.

Once the pipeline is in, it cannot be easily repaired, so it has to be right 100% when it is built.

This exact process was done with the Alaska pipeline. The original designs were very bad- if they had been followed, the pipeline would have buried itself in permafrost and would have soon ruptured. The 3rd design was the one that was approved, and it has worked pretty well for 30 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If you can't see why you should vote for Obama, I really don't know what to tell you.

Obama is a stronger leader than all the candidates. He now has four years of experience as president. He prevented a depression, in my opinion. Without his actions, things would have been far worse.

Obama is extremely intelligent. He is a Harvard educated attorney. He is great with foreign policy and has stayed cool under pressure despite the non-stop onslaught from his detractors since the day he was elected.

If there were a true emergency crisis, i.e. another 9/11, I would feel confident that Obama could guide us through such a time. I feel confident he cares about our country and wants what is best for the country even if I do not agree with him all the time.

If you don't see it this way, that's a shame.
Well, one thing is for sure. If we ever have another 9/11, he won't sit around in some classroom and continue to read a kid 'My Pet Goat' for another hour. And Obama won't be giving out Brownie points to a do-nothing FEMA chief if there is another Katrina.
I can't say the same for any of the Republicans running right now.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed.

Obama's economic policies have been an epic fail. The only response liberals have to the truth about the economy is that conservatives "want it to fail" so Obama loses in November. I doubt anybody in their right mind wants this economy to fail, but I am not about to agree that Obama has done a great job fixing it when there has been virtually no improvement since at least mid-2009.
Obama's economic policies are working...........
(Reuters) - A surge in hiring in the world's largest economy last month drove the Nasdaq to an 11-year high on Friday as optimism grew that the labor market is on a steady path to recovery.
The broad-based gains on solid trading volume also sent the Dow Jones industrial average near a four-year high. The S&P 500 extended its 2012 advance to about 7 percent and was at its highest level in more than six months.
The U.S. economy created jobs at the fastest pace in nine months in January and the unemployment rate dropped to nearly a three-year low of 8.3 percent, the government said.
"It is really hard to find something not to like in the jobs report," said Andrew Goldberg, market strategist at JP Morgan Funds in New York. "There is genuine strength in this report with broad-based jobs creation."
Obama will definitely win though because he has a complete lock on the young vote and minority vote. Republicans MUST evolve on gay marriage if they want a chance at competing for the young vote.
Obama will because of various reasons.... some of which you have just mentioned plus he has had a great foreign policy and has been a strong commander in chief........ Israels defence minister recently said that Obama has been one of the best President's to Israel EVER. Obama also understands the American people and that will also count and the Republican Party is a mess and not one of the Candidates has any chance of wnning the election.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You haven't offered a single fact in your knee jerk defense of the failed President you worship.

Try doing it, then you might get a serious response. Based on what you've written so far, nobody in their right mind would bother pointing out any facts to you. It's clear that you are unwilling to consider any facts, as evidenced by your incredible belief that nothing bad in this economy is Obama's fault (despite him being President for THREE FULL YEARS) and anything good is due to him.

You are comical.
If he is to get the blame, he should also get the credit. Unemployment is at its lowest level in three years, and the stock market is growing to levels not seen in nearly four years. Those are facts, not opinion...

Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If he is to get the blame, he should also get the credit. Unemployment is at its lowest level in three years, and the stock market is growing to levels not seen in nearly four years. Those are facts, not opinion...
First he never got the blame.
This is the weakest recovery since the end of a recession in 50 years. The recession ended 6 months after Obama became president. His dopey stimulus had nothing to do with it as the money was not even spent yet. So I guess Bush should get credit for ending the recession with his TARP program and his GM bailout program.
Have you ever thought that stocks may be going up because they are discounting a republican victory in the fall?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
This is the weakest recovery since the end of a recession in 50 years. The recession ended 6 months after Obama became president. His dopey stimulus had nothing to do with it as the money was not even spent yet. So I guess Bush should get credit for ending the recession with his TARP program and his GM bailout program.
Have you ever thought that stocks may be going up because they are discounting a republican victory in the fall?
It's the weakest recovery because it was the worst downturn in those 50 years. The recession may have technically ended then, but the upturn was not experienced by most Americans until now. I'm failing to see, either way, how Obama's presidency has made us worse off financially.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's the weakest recovery because it was the worst downturn in those 50 years. The recession may have technically ended then, but the upturn was not experienced by most Americans until now. I'm failing to see, either way, how Obama's presidency has made us worse off financially.
Here's how:
1. As soon as he won in Nov. things got worse. Business knew what was in store for them so they pulled in the reigns. After all, he campaigned on "spreading the wealth around".
2. He immediately began to institute hundreds of harsh regulations that cost business $1T per year. He put a host of Tzars in place to do his dirty work
3. He got Obamacare through that stopped any hiring that could have occurred. No one "knew what was in it even after we passed it".
4. He stopped drilling in the gulf and elsewhere.
5. He started a war against the coal industry
6. He fought extending the Bush tax cuts, then only temporarily extended them. Businesses have to know what their costs will be.
7. He increased our debt dramatically more than Bush, even with the wars starting to wind down.
8. He and his party wouldn't pass budgets for political reasons that caused stagnation in the congress
9. He tried to pass more anti business legislation: Tax and Cap; The Dream Act, all creating unknowns for businesses
10 He is now proposing increasing the corporate income tax to 44% (when you count the double tax on foreign earnings). We already have the highest in the world at 35%
11. He is ignoring the debt crisis in America and still keeps increasing spending.
12 He has defunded social security adding to the looming debt crisis.
13. He has done nothing to create new jobs. Even an anemic recovery will add some jobs
14. He stopped the Keystone Pipeline for political reasons
15. His energy policy has helped to double gas prices in the last 3 years

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,234,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This board spends way too much time on why a voter SHOULD NOT vote for "X" republican candidate, and how Obama is a shoe in because many will vote AGAINST a weak republican field.

What I want to know is, why should I vote FOR Obama?
You shouldn't......next question....

Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
Here's how:
1. As soon as he won in Nov. things got worse. Business knew what was in store for them so they pulled in the reigns. After all, he campaigned on "spreading the wealth around".
You are right. The worst months for job losses were between Nov 2008 and March 2009, right after Obama got elected. Since then, things have pretty much remained stagnant in terms of job creation.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Wishful thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections