Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

So Ron Paul lists the department of education as one of the department to get rid of.

After seeing this it only helps me agree with Ron Paul even more

Student privacy at risk from feds—Emmett McGroarty & Jane Robbins - NYPOST.com=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Oh and let's not forget the EPA, FDA, Abortion rights, and a Strong Military. Yeah, that's the way to improve the Nation, get rid of everything and hope the world ignores us

Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
I'm not one of the people who is obsessed with Ron Paul, but I agree that the Department of Education should be eliminated. Education should be handled at the state and local level. It already mainly is, but I think it needs to be completely. Bloated bureaucracy hasn't helped improve the American education system - it's had quite the contrary effect in fact.

Several of the other GOP candidates have also mentioned wanting to get rid of the Department of Education or substantially reduce its size and power.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
So Ron Paul lists the department of education as one of the department to get rid of.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

I believe in one of the early debates multiple candidates wanted to get rid of the Department of Education (Perry and Bachmann for two). It has not been in existence very long (late 70s) and has not improved test scores nor the US competitive standing vs other countries in education. Plus its budget has increased something like 300 percent. I actually think getting rid of it would have the backing of administrators and teachers who would have more time to teach and less time to report. Other functions it performs do not have to be done at the Department level. At the Department level in Washington DC is a lot of higher paid bureaucrats.

Gingrich voted "yes" to create the Department of Education under Jimmy Carter and only wants to shrink it. You need to get rid of the Department level status. I still think Gingrich is big government.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
DOE need to go. Look at DC school district. If you want your school district to look like that, then keep it.

I honestly believe we need to allow school to compete for our money.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Oh and let's not forget the EPA, FDA, Abortion rights, and a Strong Military. Yeah, that's the way to improve the Nation, get rid of everything and hope the world ignores us

Actually Paul is getting rid of Energy, Education, Housing and Urban Development, and Commerce and Interior.

The EPA on your list would get a CUT and the idea that you need a STRONG miltary with 900 bases around the world plain stupid. Maybe during the cold war but that war is over and terrorism is not like Russia that invaded europe nations! Before the cold war we need bases around the world and we dont need them now. To many people think strong military means being broke and nation building and those people are idiots.
I dont expect the world to ignore us, I do expect us IF attacked WIN THE WAR and LEAVE THERE COUNTRY IN ASHES NO NATION BUILDING! You mess with us we should use every weapon in our list of weapons of which some people dont even know about and LEVEL THEM!!!!! Mind your own business and carry a big STICK! Dont go sticking our tax dollars and military in other nations PERIOD until we are attacked then just level their COUNTRY!
That is COMMON AND STRONG DEFENSE if they knew we would nuke them if they attacked you would see no more attacks. Just get the hell out of those infested backwards nations and let me kill each other over what ever it is they want. Just leave their dam countries and make a new POLICY if you attack us we will destory you and say we will end it quicky and that will make them think about spreading mulism thinking if they know most of them will be dead in minutes. IF you want to trade, and have honest friendship good if not leave us alone we leave you alone if not your going to get a nuke no humanitation aid and rot!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Laura is right. The Dept of Education has done NOTHING to improve education. It has, however, created another monsterous bureacracy that starves for funding.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
In 1998 John Kasich as budget chair put together a plan that would have eliminated Commerce and Energy. It was thwarted by none other than Newt Gingrich.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,801 times
Anyone who thinks we need to pour more money and bureaucracy into the educational system thinking it will better the quality of education, should take 40 mins out of their lives and watch this.

Stupid in America - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections