Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:55 PM

973 posts, read 1,457,213 times

Advertisements

Since the newsletter thing gets brought up saying Ron Paul is racist. Has anyone ever questioned Mitt Romney on his Mormon belief?

Does he believe that God punishes people by darkening their skin?

LDS Mormon Church Racism Doctrine and Teaching

Mormon scripture: God curses bad races with black skin

2 Nephi 5:21

"And the Lord had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

Alma 3: 6

]And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men."

3 Nephi 2:14-15

" And it came to pass that those Lamanites who had united with the Nephites were numbered among the Nephites; And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."

So on and so forth....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,985,761 times
Given Ron Paul's courtship of anti-semites and his espousement of anti-Semitic policies, this bit of anti-Mormon bigotry isn't exactly surprising coming from a Paul supporter.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Yes, I am out to get mormons only. Thats it. All people who vote for Ron Paul are not only racist but mormon hunters too. Nice job of detective work.

Last edited by BP72; 01-01-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,985,761 times
Seems like you're trying to argue that all Mormons are racist, so Mitt Romney is too. It's a troll thread.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Seem like a valid question to me. If this is his belief and he is led by his belief, then should not the people know?

I will grant my comment in the Ron Paul 5 words or less thread was a shot at him. I do not deny that at all. In fairness, how many people here wear Enchanted underwear?

Edit to add: Obama was questioned about his former Pastor or Preacher being racist, then he distanced his self from him... or something like that.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,681,802 times
Romney was active in the Mormon church when it was openly racist and white supremacist. The LDS church would not admit blacks in until 1978, when Romney was 31. He never criticized the policies of the church before they changed. There was already a movement within Mormonism to admit blacks and drop the white supremacy when Romney was at BYU, but he did not support said movement.

Paul has never belonged to a racist organization. Romney belonged to a racist organization. (And, yes, I know Robert Byrd also did, but Byrd's dead, not running for office, and Byrd's ancestors didn't help found the Klan as Romney's ancestors helped found the LDS Church.)

Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,764,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Romney was active in the Mormon church when it was openly racist and white supremacist. The LDS church would not admit blacks in until 1978, when Romney was 31. He never criticized the policies of the church before they changed. There was already a movement within Mormonism to admit blacks and drop the white supremacy when Romney was at BYU, but he did not support said movement.
Not very accurate and you miss a lot of stuff. Blacks were always welcome to join the LDS faith, but were not allowed to be ordained to the priesthood. So until 1978, they were welcome but not given equal status. After 1978, they were allowed to be ordained to the priesthood and have held equal standing ever since.

On the other side of the coin, the Mormons were driven out of Missouri on pain of death in the 1830's by executive order of the governor. There are a number of excuses, and Missouri and US history classes are constantly trying to put a good face on things. But the single biggest reason Missouri drove them out? Many if not most of your Mormons were abolitionists. The Mormon leaders tried and failed to convince Missourians that the Mormons were not in the business of inciting their slaves to rebel and then arming them, etc. Basically, Missourians were terrified the Mormons would be what John Brown was approximately 20 years later.

Getting the racism stigma to stick to the Mormons is trickier than you think.

It's a very different conversation from the Southern Baptist Church, which most definitely was created solely with the worst of racist intentions in mind. The SBC was founded as a breakaway from the mainline Baptist Church specifically to protect the institution of slavery. Much of the white supremacist garbage you hear white supremacists spouting was originally shouted from the pulpits of the Southern Baptist Churches. The SBC actively looked for and found passages in the Bible to justify the perpetual enslavement of the black race.

After Emancipation of all slaves, the SBC was still very actively in the racism business. Blacks were not welcome in Southern Baptist congregations so they formed their own black Baptist organizations. The SBC was a passionate supporter of the KKK, Jim Crowe Laws and segregation. It was not until 1995 that the Southern Baptist Convention officially apologized for promoting racism and defending slavery.

If you're going to pull the racist card on Mitt Romney for being Mormon, then it must apply in far greater measure to any president or presidential candidate that ever belonged to the Southern Baptist Church. While we're at it, if you were a member of any Southern Baptist Convention affiliated Baptist congregation prior to 1995, you are a racist. You belonged to one of the most rabidly racist religions in US history, so how can you not be a racist? Even if you joined up after 1995, that still kinda racist, isn't it?

Quote:
Paul has never belonged to a racist organization. Romney belonged to a racist organization. (And, yes, I know Robert Byrd also did, but Byrd's dead, not running for office, and Byrd's ancestors didn't help found the Klan as Romney's ancestors helped found the LDS Church.)
I know that Ron Paul is Baptist. I don't know if he belongs to the Southern Baptist Convention or some other Baptist body. If it's the SBC, then sorry to say, he does belong to a racist organization. If he is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, then by the same standards being used, Ron Paul must be a racist.

Best practice: Don't bring up "Religion X is racist!" Historically, most world religions have a much, much worst track record on this than Mormons. Best not to bash religions period as most religions are built upon histories made of glass. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I don't actually believe Baptists are racists. I also do not believe Mormons are racist. I also think the Ron Paul letters smear campaign is a load of crap.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:32 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,764,591 times
This thread is the very definition of FAIL.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This thread is the very definition of FAIL.

Failed is the asked question? In my opinion it is a fair question. You addressed Majoun.

My question stands as:
Does he believe that God punishes people by darkening their skin?

If he has answered that question before in some form or another, I would like a link to read it for myself.

The quotes from the Book of Mormon are from a website I am not affiliated with...so I did not write the statements in the site or the Book of Mormon.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh btw, if he came through my area with his "Ask Mitt Anything" tour, I would ask him this question if given the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections