Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of this part of Mormon belief? I do not know much about Mormonism and I really do not care what a person's religious beliefs are, but if it has a self-serving influence on their decisions as an elected official it concerns me a lot as it should everyone.

Quote:
“ …lying is justified. For the Mormon, loyalty and the welfare of the church are more important than the principle of honesty, and plausible denials and deception by omission are warranted (as in failing to provide tax returns) by an opportunity to have the Mormon organization seen in the best possible light.

“We really aren’t obligated to answer everyone’s questions.” He goes on to say, “We never provide meat when milk will do”, and, “We seek to answer any serious question by finding the most direct route to the Sacred Grove.”

Without question Romney is a devout Mormon. If there are things about the Mormon church that are offensive to mainstream America, and Mitt Romney explains that he doesn’t personally agree, how can we know if he is telling the truth, or “Lying for the Lord?” If Mitt Romney believes that it would be good for the Mormon Church to have one of its members elected President of the United States, then he can justify any lie he might want to tell. His own church teaches that it would be not only acceptable, but encourages him, to lie, if he perceived that it was helpful to the church.

Mitt Romney Isn’t a Flip-Flopper; Romney’s “Lying for the Lord” « Malia Litman's Blog
If anything, I find this creepy. The article is rather interesting.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Oh yay, here we go with more anti-Mormon ridiculousness.

Why don't people just come out and admit they're intolerant bigots?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM

993 posts, read 831,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Has anyone ever heard of this part of Mormon belief? I do not know much about Mormonism and I really do not care what a person's religious beliefs are, but if it has a self-serving influence on their decisions as an elected official it concerns me a lot as it should everyone.

I did some reading on this the other day and saw something about this for the fundamental church, which Gov. Romney is not associated with. Did you find that distinction in your research?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:

You contradict yourself.........

Why is that....

You don't care, why did you bring it up? You must care....

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:

You find it creepy. I find it pathetic. You provide a link to an anti-Mormon blog and try to make it sound like Mormon doctrine. That blog is itself a a perfect example of "lying for the Lord." That's so typical of people who are using Mitt's religion against him. They tell lies about his belief system, and why? Because the end justifies the means. If you can make people hate someone you hate, it doesn't matter if you have to be dishonest in the process.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's pathetic. You provide a link to an anti-Mormon blog and try to make it sound like Mormon doctrine. That blog is itself a a perfect example of "lying for the Lord." That's so typical of people who are using Mitt's religion against him. They tell lies about his belief system, and why? Because the end justifies the means. If you can make people hate someone you hate, it doesn't matter if you have to be dishonest in the process.
Is there such a doctrine or not? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Is there such a doctrine or not? Inquiring minds would like to know.
In Mormonism? Absolutely not, and I can prove that it's not. There is a pro-Mormon website, www.mormonwiki.com. (Note, that's .com, not .org.) An anti-Mormon group started a new website and guess what they call it? www.mormonwiki.org. Real similar, huh? Easy to confuse the two (no small coincidence), but the anti-Mormon site is .org. The blog the OP provided a link to itself provides a link to an article on "lying for the Lord" that is on the anti-Mormon "mormonwiki." The article that is posted there appears to be written as some kind of an explanation that "lying for the Lord" is part of LDS doctrine. Anyone who clicks on the "mormonwiki" link can see that it's the .org site. It intentionally and maliciously attempts to come across as a legitimate source of information for people seeking to understand Mormonism and yet it contains information that directly contradicts what the LDS Church teaches its members. I don't have a clue as to how many people have been taken in by this site, but I bet it's quite a few. In my opinion, this is just about as deceitful as it gets. If ever there was a good example of a "wolf in sheep's clothing," this is it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-07-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In Mormonism? Absolutely not.
Thanks!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM

993 posts, read 831,848 times
On another thread the liberals kept saying sarcastically, "If it's on the internet it must be true." Hmmm...

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Oh yay, here we go with more anti-Mormon ridiculousness.

Why don't people just come out and admit they're intolerant bigots?
Oh, I think most of them actually do admit it. After all, it's the politically correct thing to be these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections