Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times

Advertisements

According to USA Today, Mitt Romney is having a tough time trying to live down being a flip-flopper.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ential-race-/1

Ron Paul should have an easy time surpassing him with that kind of ongoing negative publicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,339,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
According to USA Today, Mitt Romney is having a tough time trying to live down being a flip-flopper.
I doubt it. Romney is doing well, so this is just another meme the MSM will push, that people won't let him live something down.

All politicians are flip-floppers. It's the nature of the beast. And they do it because the American public flip-flops on the direction they want to go.

Ron Paul plays well to a small, hard core audience of fans, and I'm not knocking the man, but most people don't want a hard core ideologue. They want a politician with a certain flexibility, which will naturally lead to charges of flip-flopping by people looking to score points.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,864 times
^I agree DockSide. Ron Paul is supported by a small base but lacks national appeal (and no, one poll doesn't not determine everything).

Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
All politicians change their positions on issues over the years. Some of it is because they come to see things differently, some of it is because they have to to survive. Politicians work for the people and their views on issues change with time also.

I admire someone who is willing to change and adapt much more than someone who stubbornly sticks with their positions even when they are wrong.

Ronald Reagan changed his position on several issues over the years. I guess he was a flip flopper also.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
All politicians change their positions on issues over the years. Some of it is because they come to see things differently, some of it is because they have to to survive. Politicians work for the people and their views on issues change with time also.

I admire someone who is willing to change and adapt much more than someone who stubbornly sticks with their positions even when they are wrong.

Ronald Reagan changed his position on several issues over the years. I guess he was a flip flopper also.
You are right. I would hate to think any one of us is so rightious that we can not open our eyes and see there are other ways of thinking. To me, this isn't being a non flip flopper, this is being narrow minded and having ones head in the sand. It is important to me, the person running our country can admit his/her ideas might not work or be right. Look at what we have now, someone who can't admit it.

Nita

Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM

106 posts, read 157,641 times
Mitt Romney is the biggest question mark in the running. He puts up this Mr. Perfect persona by looking nice for the camera while not giving a definable position on anything, because he'll end up putting his foot into his mouth. He's is a big businessman who is largely focused on that who has a history of moderate voting and flip-flopping on core issues; you see him doing the exact opposite of Rick Perry because the more he says the more he gets ousted for contradicting himself.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ential-race-/1

Ron Paul should have an easy time surpassing him with that kind of ongoing negative publicity.

Ron Paul won't have an easy time passing 'go, and collecting $200.00 dollars.' He has NO CHANCE! - Please ...Wake up and REALIZE that!!

Romney is still at the top of the list of Republicans in the race...and that is a little un-nerving to many. Still... none of these candidates grip us with confidence in them.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
I am not sure I really want a President who takes a flat footed position from which he is unable to move.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,781,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post

Romney's done a a 180 on almost all major issues. He ran as a liberal in a liberal state. He's trying to run a conservative in a conservative primary. His actions don't quite pass the smell test and that's why even after campaigning for basically 4 years he still can't pull away from the rest of the field.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Romney's done a a 180 on almost all major issues. He ran as a liberal in a liberal state. He's trying to run a conservative in a conservative primary. His actions don't quite pass the smell test and that's why even after campaigning for basically 4 years he still can't pull away from the rest of the field.

Don't you actually mean a 360? He ran in a very blue state and won. That is not an easy thing to do. Now he is running for president when a certain off shoots of the Republican party are extremely narrow on some of the issues. That is also not an easy thing to do while still being able to appear sane to the rest of those that might vote Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections