Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Don't you actually mean a 360? He ran in a very blue state and won. That is not an easy thing to do. Now he is running for president when a certain off shoots of the Republican party are extremely narrow on some of the issues. That is also not an easy thing to do while still being able to appear sane to the rest of those that might vote Republican.
No. He pulled a 180 because he completely changed course from liberal to conservative. Doing a 360 would mean he was liberal to conservative back to liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No. He pulled a 180 because he completely changed course from liberal to conservative. Doing a 360 would mean he was liberal to conservative back to liberal.
He has never been a liberal, the term would be a moderate at best. Once again, I prefer someone who can learn and change that someone who stick with a position even if it was wrong.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
All politicians change their positions on issues over the years. Some of it is because they come to see things differently, some of it is because they have to to survive. Politicians work for the people and their views on issues change with time also.

I admire someone who is willing to change and adapt much more than someone who stubbornly sticks with their positions even when they are wrong.

Ronald Reagan changed his position on several issues over the years. I guess he was a flip flopper also.
Good point, and whoever is nominated will have to run against the master of flip flopping, lies and broken promises Obama.

Maybe Mitt can use the Obama tactic of making promises and excuses at the same time.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Apparently Romney supports Pro-Choice, Gun Laws, Gay Rights, Residency for Illegal Aliens, Marijuana Legalization, Health Care Reform, etc.... aren't these all classic "liberal" positions...?

Liberal Mitt's Greatest Hits: What Romney Doesn't Want You to See - YouTube

Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 AM

Some of you are getting so desperate already...lol. Just relax, it's still early. You have time to do your smear campaigns. If you start this early, you will run out of anything earth shaking by the time it might make a difference and since Romney has already gone through the vetting process for 5 years now, it's going to get harder and harder to shock anyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Some of you are getting so desperate already...lol. Just relax, it's still early. You have time to do your smear campaigns. If you start this early, you will run out of anything earth shaking by the time it might make a difference and since Romney has already gone through the vetting process for 5 years now, it's going to get harder and harder to shock anyone.
Especially for the current Republican candidates, who've just about exhausted the "how weird can they get" factor! Although "when all else fails, let's just run as a liberal"... now that's a new one!!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Do you ever think, or have you ever worked or followed campaigns in any way? To win the general, and, you know--actually become president--he's going to have to carry independents. The R base doesn't have the numbers to elect him on their own. Independents don't have party loyalty. They vote for the person and for what they see as character. If he gets to the general, his own record is going to be thrown at him with everything the other side has, and it's not going to be pretty. I'm glad that you like Romney, but he's a very flawed candidate, and you don't seem to be able to look past the end of your nose to see it. I wish we had someone like him, without his baggage, and that was the hope for Christie. Why do you think so many conservatives were begging Christie to run? Combine that with at least a portion of the far right end of the R base not fired up to work for him, and we've got a big problem.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you ever think, or have you ever worked or followed campaigns in any way? To win the general, and, you know--actually become president--he's going to have to carry independents. The R base doesn't have the numbers to elect him on their own. Independents don't have party loyalty. They vote for the person and for what they see as character. If he gets to the general, his own record is going to be thrown at him with everything the other side has, and it's not going to be pretty. I'm glad that you like Romney, but he's a very flawed candidate, and you don't seem to be able to look past the end of your nose to see it. I wish we had someone like him, without his baggage, and that was the hope for Christie. Why do you think so many conservatives were begging Christie to run? Combine that with at least a portion of the far right end of the R base not fired up to work for him, and we've got a big problem.

That is how little you know, all of the polling shows one of Romney's strongest areas is with Independents.
It's really funny for you to question my experience with politics...if you only knew, but I will just let that one slide for now. Watch and learn, that is all I am saying about that.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That is how little you know, all of the polling shows one of Romney's strongest areas is with Independents.
It's really funny for you to question my experience with politics...if you only knew, but I will just let that one slide for now. Watch and learn, that is all I am saying about that.
Maybe watch, shake my head and laugh might be more appropriate. I could care less who you claim to be--anybody can pretend to be anyone on the internet, and if you really did have some sort of professional affiliation, it's doubtful that you'd even allude to that can of worms here. Sorry kiddo--I'm basing my conclusions on what you're trying to pass as logic.

As far as Romney and independents--we're a year out from the elections? Remember? Are you following me? A year in politics is a lifetime.

How Romney polls right now with independents doesn't matter all that much because A) most independents don't pay really close attention to early primary debates because they usually don't vote in primaries. They don't belong to a party. In a number of states they can't vote in the primary without affiliation.

B) Romney hasn't had much thrown at him...yet. I will say he's been smart to stay low while the other candidates hash it out among themselves. He's taken very few hits so far (Perry started going after him when Perry thought he and Romney would be duking it out for the nomination, but Perry obviously has other problems now).

Independent voters don't care about party, but they do care about personality and character. When the other side starts throwing the "flip flop" stuff, the "corporations are people too" he's going to be in a world of hurt with character focused voters. He's shown a little more fire in the belly lately, but he hasn't been a charismatic man in the past. I'm really concerned that he's going to be the R John Kerry--he's an easy target--and don't believe for a minute that the D's wont go after him with everything they've got, let alone who ever his competition is for the R nomination.

I wish we had a decent choice in this election

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Interestingly enough, they're already starting. Here's Andrew Sullivans article on Romney from this afternoon. It's pretty much exactly how I said the strategy would be.
Remember This Dude? - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections