Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,668,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You haven't seemed to learn to quit while you're ahead. If you disagree with me--great. Give me a logical, intelligent reason WHY you disagree and I'll listen. Name calling me or anyone else because you can't think of anything else to say, and it makes you mad, just makes people laugh and discount everything you have to say. Is that what you want?

As far as your family being actively involved in politics--that's wonderful. This is a political board. Most people who are drawn to talking about issues tend to be very active on them in their communities as well, and having very extensive personal experience in that area is probably way more common here than you think.

Back to Romney--I think we're past the point in this country of rallying the troops to protect flawed candidates because it's good for the party. I care more about what's good for the country. We're dealing with some of the most difficult circumstances this country has faced in a lifetime, and we need to have open and honest conversations about who is the best candidate to get us out of this mess and why. It's not always pretty, but you can't make good choices without it. Not talking about Romney's flaws isn't going to fix them, because the other side is going to go for the jugular.

Wow, excellent response! AGAIN!!

We need some candidates with sense and grit as you display. Have ya considered running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,225,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
He hasn't been unclear about that, he's been unclear about what he'd do as president. Much of what made Texas attractive to people and businesses Rick Perry can't take credit for. It was a great state in terms of job growth and unemployment before he was governor, so what did he do to maintain or improve that, and what specifically would he do as president? That's what I think he's been unclear on.

Like I said, Mitt Romney has a detailed 59-point economic plan, and other candidates like Cain and Huntsman have detailed plans as well. Rick Perry's plan, as he presents it at the debates anyway, is basically along the lines of "lower the tax burden on the middle class, reform the tax code, discourage frivolous lawsuits" and so on. But I want to know the specifics. No one has been as specific as I'd like (for obvious reasons), but Perry just seems to say whatever will get him an applause.
The Wall Street Journal slammed Romney's economic plan pretty hard, but they love Huntsman's. I don't think this is over yet--if Huntsman starts getting the respect he deserves from the powers that be--the WSJ endorsement is a huge step forward--things could change for him soon. He's a smart, really competent guy. It's worth a read. I have problems with some of it, but it's a step in the right direction.

WSJ Slams Mitt Romney For Lackluster Jobs Plan - Business Insider

Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal slammed Romney's economic plan pretty hard, but they love Huntsman's. I don't think this is over yet--if Huntsman starts getting the respect he deserves from the powers that be--the WSJ endorsement is a huge step forward--things could change for him soon. He's a smart, really competent guy. It's worth a read.

WSJ Slams Mitt Romney For Lackluster Jobs Plan - Business Insider
Just a question, mb. What was it I heard about Huntsman's past connection to BO? I don't know much about Huntsman.

''I don't think this is over yet''

Addendum: Oh, it hasn't even gotten started good, yet!!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Wow, excellent response! AGAIN!!

We need some candidates with sense and grit as you display. Have ya considered running?
LOL--sorry. I'm too honest to make it as a politician.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,195,929 times
Quote:
You haven't seemed to learn to quit while you're ahead. If you disagree with me--great. Give me a logical, intelligent reason WHY you disagree and I'll listen. Name calling me or anyone else because you can't think of anything else to say, and it makes you mad, just makes people laugh and discount everything you have to say. Is that what you want?

As far as your family being actively involved in politics--that's wonderful. This is a political board. Most people who are drawn to talking about issues tend to be very active on them in their communities and states as well, and having very extensive personal experience in that area is probably way more common here than you think.

Back to Romney--I think we're past the point in this country of rallying the troops to protect flawed candidates because it's good for the party. I care more about what's good for the country. We're dealing with some of the most difficult circumstances this country has faced in a lifetime, and we need to have open and honest conversations about who is the best candidate to get us out of this mess and why. It's not always pretty, but you can't make good choices without it. Not talking about Romney's flaws isn't going to fix them, because the other side is going to go for the jugular.

You are backing Huntsman and you want to talk about flawed? I also don't recall calling you a name, but you do tend to make up your own scenarios to suit yourself.
Here is an idea, you back your candidate and I will back mine and we shall see how it all works out in the end. Have a good evening!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just a question, mb. What was it I heard about Huntsman's past connection to BO? I don't know much about Huntsman.

''I don't think this is over yet''

Addendum: Oh, it hasn't even gotten started good, yet!!
He was Obama's ambassador to China (and an ambassador to Indonesia under Bush I think?) He was an incredibly popular 2 term governor in Utah--he balanced their state budget--and he has extensive business experience through his family's company. He's likable, smart, and has both foreign policy and successful business experience--he's a proven leader. I think he has it all.

Here's why the far right end of the R base hasn't embraced him. He's very much a social moderate. I'm an old school, moderate R, so it works for me. He's also a Mormon. The very things that kill him with the R base--religion and social issues--are the things that would make him very appealing to independents. Obama praised him for the job he'd done as ambassador, and that upsets the extreme Obama haters as well.

I look at it this way--the things that demand real and meaningful change in this country are the economy and foreign policy, and he's a star in both those areas. The R party is going to have to decide what they want--a candidate that meets their purity test, or one who can actually get the job done and has a chance of winning the general.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
He was Obama's ambassador to China (and an ambassador to Indonesia under Bush I think?) He was an incredibly popular 2 term governor in Utah--he balanced their state budget--and he has extensive business experience through his family's company. He's likable, smart, and has both foreign policy and successful business experience--he's a proven leader. I think he has it all.

Here's why the far right end of the R base hasn't embraced him. He's very much a social moderate. I'm an old school, moderate R, so it works for me. He's also a Mormon. The very things that kill him with the R base--religion and social issues--are the things that would make him very appealing to independents. Obama praised him for the job he'd done as ambassador, and that upsets the extreme Obama haters as well.

I look at it this way--the things that demand real and meaningful change in this country are the economy and foreign policy, and he's a star in both those areas. The R party is going to have to decide what they want--a candidate that meets their purity test, or one who can actually get the job done and has a chance of winning the general.

Seriously tho, being a Morman held back Romney in '08, I KNOW that....and I have to believe ...that issue will also stop Huntsman from getting 'his footing' in POTUSA contest. - Your thoughts?

I'm not even sure Newt can be counted out. He's gaining a little every day...and with standing his horrible 'personal life' mis-steps...he's the sharpest tool in the shed!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,195,929 times
Here is a very positive assessment of Mitt Romney's jobs plan:

Some good ideas from Romney - Boston.com

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Seriously tho, being a Morman held back Romney in '08, I KNOW that....and I have to believe ...that issue will also stop Huntsman from getting 'his footing' in POTUSA contest. - Your thoughts?
I think the only place his faith will hurt him is with the evangelical christian wing of the R base, and you're right--it's a big chunk, and they did hold Romney back in '08. His moderate position on social issues is another big obstacle with social conservatives, but it's the very thing that would appeal to independent voters. it. One thing though--he's likeable and genuine, and people trust him. He won reelection for his second term as governor in Utah by 78%. He's starting to get a second look, and real respect, from the business community.

The very things that make him a competitive candidate in the general are what have held him back with the base. We'll have to see what people's priorities are.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 PM

I just took the time to watch this video. Pretty hard to trust Romney, in my opinion. - If this doesn't give you 'pause'...you need to check and see if you have heartbeat.

But Romney certainly has Obama's endorsement, it seems!

Liberal Mitt's Greatest Hits: What Romney Doesn't Want You to See - YouTube

[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by quality guy; 10-06-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections