Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,980,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm not sure if the bolded comment was directed at me or just a general statement.

If it was directed at me I should point out that I'm not affiliated with any party. In the state of Iowa independents caucus with the Republicans, which is why I'm interested. My earlier statement that Dr. Paul is the only Republican candidate that can beat Obama is simply an observation and shouldn't be taken as meaning that I'm part of the "we must beat Obama/the Democrats at any cost" movement.

In this comment I led with the Republicans because that's who's being discussed. I then made the comment about the Democrats to point out that it's not so much the Republican party itself that I see as the problem as the duoploy of having two parties that pretty much control politics in this country. The Republicans look bad this time around because there is a Democratic incumbant; if there were a Republican incumbant we'd be seeing the Democrats saying the same things.

I live pretty close to St. Louis, so there are a lot of Cardinal fans around here. Last year Albert Pujols was the greatest man who ever walked the face of the earth. Now that he has jumped ship to sign for the Angels he's a washed-up bum on the downhill side of his career. This sort of posturing is fine for spectator sports, but it should have no place in determining the leaders of our country.

My point is, if people would educate themselves about the candidates rather than just cheering for the home team we wouldn't see stupid discussions like this.

Now, if the bolded comment above was just a general statement, then never mind.
Right now, according to the polls, only Romney would beat Obama. Which is strange since they are very similar in policy of big government and support the status quo. You cannot really tell them apart.
I don't trust either one of them. They have little integrity, and lack honor. But other than that.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,570,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He just happens to be right. The Left would like nothing more than for Paul to be the GOP candidate.
Actually we're salivating over the super-rich French elitist Mitt Romney too.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,793,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The first thing the GOP nominee should do is offer the Fed Chairmanship to Ron Paul.
Secretary of treasury ...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM

7,127 posts, read 8,700,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Paul is more electable than Perry, Bachmann, Santorum, or Gingrich but is still not electable. Only Romney and Huntsman are.

And, if Ron Paul runs as an independent candidate, he will ensure Obama wins re-election.
More electable out of that group is like being the world's tallest midget!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yep... it is not about putting the best candidate, that adheres to conservative principles, for the republican party. It is all about beating Obama at ANY cost. Even if it takes the Romneys, Santorums and Gingriches of the world. That is, after all, what they'd been bitching about since Nov 4, 2008... conservatism was merely a sham. And in the end, Ron Paul is technically, that useful idiot.

I know more who believe we have a non useful idiot in power at the present time, with an economy, he has no idea in hell how to fix!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Sorry but he has a point, like it or not. I know many people even dems who truly like Paul. But as far as giving him their vote, they would not vote for him.
With an economy that continues to tank, and many famous business we know of who may close their door, housing values continuing to plummet, high unemployment, won't be as easy for Obama this time. What is he going to say, My change, was so good, most of you are better off then 4 years ago. That's a total lie.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,043,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If he doesn't win the Republican nomination I think he still becomes our next president because I think there are more than enough Democrats and Independents who are SICK and TIRED of the corruption in government that status quo presidents enable, who would vote for him as well as Republicans -- even if they end up writing in his name or voting for him as a third party candidate. With that kind of overall support from Americans, he could EASILY become our next president.

This year I don't think Americans are going to passively allow let the election be stolen by another mainstream candidate whether it be Obama with his rock bottom approval rating or Mitt Romney who will never get more than 25% support from Americans.
I think Ron Paul is sincere in many ways and I agree with a few of his positions.

However, what I think he REALLY is, in the grand scheme of things (the ongoing NWO/nonpartisan agenda and how fast/far citizens will allow it to unfold), is a 'thermometer' of sorts. He is used for taking the temperature of the electorate to gauge what proportion of us are entirely fed up with the agenda and ready to jump the partisan ship. The PTB wonder where we are on the "anarchy scale"- enter Ron Paul, election after election.

The 2 party system is actually just one system that, term after term, regardless of party, is marching us toward a bankrupt police state. This will be the country of service jobs, tourism, entertainment, gambling, tech, weapons development, and the like. That will be our place in the 'new world order'.

The next POTUS has already been selected and the voting strategies and machines are in place to assure the chosen one will win. They DO want to know how stirred up we are, though, our level of discontent. How well controlled are we? How well is the divide and conquer partisan hatred and bickering strategy working? Is the bought-and-paid-for media doing it's job on us and keeping us distracted from the real issues? Ron Paul represents a straw poll of sorts- a windsock.

It is interesting that Paul remains a Republican. Republican politicians don't seem to like him much or to share his views- even calling him "dangerous". He would appear more sincere if he was an Independent or a self-proclaimed Libertarian.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM

998 posts, read 1,219,654 times
Every since Obama signed the NDAA & Ron Paul voted against it many voters are switching from Obama to Paul.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,373,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post

It is interesting that Paul remains a Republican. Republican politicians don't seem to like him much or to share his views- even calling him "dangerous". He would appear more sincere if he was an Independent or a self-proclaimed Libertarian.
Paul ran as a Libertarian his first time out (1988, I think). What he learned from that experience is that, in our current, flawed system, you have to be a member of a major party to even get noticed. Hence his decision to remain a Republican.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,133,374 times
Bill O'Reilly: Ron Paul has no chance, would get crushed by Obama

Bill who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections