Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times

Advertisements

When I look back in history, and watch these posts, along with knowing how controlling and barbaric the English were, and thousands of years before that, how the priests were in control of colonies...we have changed very little...
Santorum scares me, due to his religious views and how he is so open faced about them...I mean, he has a right to his beliefs, but he doesn't have the right to mix religion with politics, and I fear that as time goes by, churches are gaining more and more power using they're special interest monies to control certain people....nope we haven't really changed/evolved all that much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I agree that Santorum is a religious fanatic trying to use political office to force his views. He is equal to Obama in that respect. Having said that, there is no way Santorum could ever be the nominee so no need to worry.
I would be surprised if Santorum was the republican nominee, I don't even see how he could win in a general election. If Santorum was president he would sell our country away.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,821 times
I'm freaking disgusted this guy is somehow now a front runner in the primaries. Is this demagogue one of the best the republicans have to offer? If this fool somehow wins the primaries I am going to swallow my pride and vote for Obama.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,940,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When I look back in history, and watch these posts, along with knowing how controlling and barbaric the English were, and thousands of years before that, how the priests were in control of colonies...we have changed very little...
Santorum scares me, due to his religious views and how he is so open faced about them...I mean, he has a right to his beliefs, but he doesn't have the right to mix religion with politics, and I fear that as time goes by, churches are gaining more and more power using they're special interest monies to control certain people....nope we haven't really changed/evolved all that much...
Yes, this is the issue. He is entitled to his personal beliefs, sure. But I fear that once he got into office, he would use the position to assert those beliefs upon the rest of us. He isn't shy about it, which is even scarier. He thinks he has some kind of Holy Crusade to wage.

And then there's Huntsman, the sanest and most level-headed of the bunch, yet he has no chance. Honestly, you guys are going to hand the next term to Obama simply by nominating a wacko.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most Catholics disagree with the teaching of the church on gays. And anybody who says gays need to stop being gay is a royal idiot. It's like telling blacks to stop being black.

If a candidate said that statement, would you think it acceptable?
Amen to that!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,905,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I'm nominally a republican, but am sooooo tired of social conservatives and their holier than thou attitudes attempting to tell us all how to live. I can't stand Obama, but would prefer him to this crap. [MOD CUT]
I agree. If he wins, I will be voting for Obama for the first time. And I won't like it.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,905,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Keyes is more articulate than Santorum, but you are right in that they are both religious zealots. With Cain out of the race, I am left with only Gingrich, and I only agree with his positions 60% to 70% of the time, and he has no executive experience. Like Obama, Gingrich has never held a real job. Romney and Perry are desperately trying to pretend they are not liberal Democrats, and Ron Paul is a dangerous lunatic.
The choices are all bad but Romney or Huntsman is better than the rest of them.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,245,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I'm freaking disgusted this guy is somehow now a front runner in the primaries. Is this demagogue one of the best the republicans have to offer? If this fool somehow wins the primaries I am going to swallow my pride and vote for Obama.
I think he only got votes because people didn't know about his checkered past. Now that the media is going to talk about him he is done.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
I think he only got votes because people didn't know about his checkered past. Now that the media is going to talk about him he is done.
Are you kidding? He's preaching to the GOP bigoted choir!!

He actually gains votes in the GOP primaries by saying things like this. And he stumbles all over himself in the process too.

I think the gist of what he was utterly failing to say was something like this: "Heterosexual soldiers will be uncomfortable showering and sleeping in close quarters with a man or group of men that might find their naked body sexually arousing."

The general argument in favor of banning gays from the military entirely was always along the lines of, "It would be like asking women to welcome random groups of men to share their locker rooms, showers, etc."

If there actually are hetero soldiers that feel that way -- and there probably are -- I think the military find a way to make it all work out. Banning them from military service or slapping the ol' on there is asinine and a chicken **** solution. You wanna ban women from the military next?

More than anything, I'm unimpressed with his inability to string together a single coherent thought when under pressure. GOP bigotry is old news. If you didn't know that the Christian/Evangelical arm of the GOP hates gays, welcome to reality. They've been that way for a very long time now.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
If Santorum is the nominee, I'm absolutely voting for Obama. I will not allow a religious anti-gay fanatic in the seat of the white house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections