Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,691,736 times

Advertisements

Ok besides being a social conservative what makes him a actual conservative on anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,599,424 times
Santorum will very quickly become as relevant as Bachman and Perry.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,887,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok besides being a social conservative what makes him a actual conservative on anything else?
The only thing required, Bible thumping!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,287,937 times
Nothing. There is nothing actually conservative about that war-mongering, personal liberty hating, privacy-invading, pro-big spending, anti-budget restraints nutt case.

He might as well change his party affiliation to Democrat.

It is sad that some Americans hear "ban gay marriages" and that becomes their chief concern. Who cares? There are more pressing concerns. Look at Santorum's record-- it resembles Obama more than anyone's.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,816,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The only thing required, Bible thumping!
Exactly. For most of GOP, this is more than enough qualification, for a candidate to come out in flying colors. And for reasons which are unfathomable when stacked up against the Bible itself, the bible-thumpers also happen to be the biggest warmongers. A winning combination. Covers 80% of the GOP.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,754,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Exactly. For most of GOP, this is more than enough qualification, for a candidate to come out in flying colors. And for reasons which are unfathomable when stacked up against the Bible itself, the bible-thumpers also happen to be the biggest warmongers. A winning combination. Covers 80% of the GOP.
The Bible thumper crowd's hypocrisy is astounding. Run all over the world killing people cuz ... that's what Jesus would do?

One interesting development: The Mormon candidates Romney and Huntsman. They stand where they stand on the issues, that goes without saying. But they're not out there tossing the bigotry card around pandering for ill-gotten votes. Odds are, the GOP as a whole doesn't learn anything from them there, but it would be a nice change if they did and started emulating them. That's a lot more "Christian" the way I see it.

And hey, whaddaya know? Another failed "not Romney" that is massively flawed and not worth a damn? Fine by me! Game, set, match, they've got no more "not Romney" plays left. The only truly viable candidates remaining are Ron Paul and Mitt Romney. I expect many of the rest will stick around and be the proverbial peanut gallery, but their candidacies have no heart or soul left in them. I got no problem at all with a two man race going forward. (I'd love it to be a one man race, but that just ain't reality. Mitt isn't going away anytime soon.)

A two man race means dialog. If people are of the opinion that Dr Paul is right or wrong, that requires them to come with reasons instead of blanket statements of "that's a dumb/dangerous/crazy idea."

Newt is enough of a loud mouth that he may stick around the longest out of what we have left, but I don't see him actually winning.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
You are right, but I don't think anyone is claiming he is a fiscal conservative. That is why he will go nowhere fast I am guessing.

Nita

Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,308,810 times
Quote:
I dunno, maybe he's not gonna pay a lot for this muffler?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,246,881 times
A lot of people like to think being socially conservative makes you a conservative. Santorum is the poster boy for that group.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Nothing but his IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections