Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,005 times

Advertisements

So I just wanted to point out this comment from my brother who is also a ron paul supporter.

PS I'm 38 and he is 34 - we arent college students!

I think this view might help those of you who view the foreign policy of Bush neocons as "conservative" to shed some light on the subject and why the divide in the party.

----------------

Ron Paul supporter - John Calla

There is a serious generational divide in philosophy in this country. I think the older guard grew up with more trust for government and a stronger sense of America always playing the role of the good in the world, almost to the point of being above criticism. They tend to get their information from traditional sources (newspaper, TV, etc.) and trust them. Hence presidents like FDR and Truman have schools named after them, even though if you look at them objectively you see that they were absolutely bat***** crazy. (I guess since it's "our" crazy it makes it okay.) Even politically astute people who recognize media bias still rely on the MSM to be informed, whether it's CNN or Bill O'Reilly.

The younger people seem to view the government as a big turd with a candy shell, and therefore have a heightened sense of skepticism. They get none of their information from traditional sources (TV, newspaper lol) and instead rely on "word of mouth" spread through the internet, typically favoring places created by and for people of their own generation. If they watch CNN, Fox News, etc. they do it to get an lol out of it. This generation doesn't place much trust in established institutions at all.

Oh and Bill Kristol is and always has been an assh0le. I view these neocons as global gamesmen who liken international affairs to a game of chess; and the "little people" are the pawns and the Republican Party is the medium used to be a player in the game. To think that just a handful of elites could successfully manipulate world affairs to their mold illustrates that they are arrogant as *****, and why people can't stand them anymore now that they got a taste of what they're selling. (The fact that they think people can be controlled from the top down really points to a lack of fundamental understanding of conservative philosophy.) The Republican Party will have to purge these crazies from the ranks or accept defeat in future elections. The neocons entrenched themselves into the "right-leaning" MSM, so their influence remains... with the old guard at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,493,602 times
Very true. If the up-and-coming generation were the only voters, Paul would win this election by a large measure. In reality, the 60-year-old+ folks will probably throw the election to Obama by nominating a clown like Romney. The younger folks will vote for Paul or go 3rd party because they are voting for major change centered around big ideas and will not simply acquiesce to whatever slop candidate the Grand Old Party happens to dump on their plate.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,878,364 times
Why won't Ron Paul release his income tax info? What's with these Repubs? Only Newt, who probably for the first time ever, paid 30% in taxes since he knew he was running for Pres. A good bit to hide, I suspect.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM

791 posts, read 461,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why won't Ron Paul release his income tax info? What's with these Repubs? Only Newt, who probably for the first time ever, paid 30% in taxes since he knew he was running for Pres. A good bit to hide, I suspect.
If you ever bothered to look at his financial disclosure forms you'd see that there's nothing really for him to release. About 80% of his holdings are gold & silver mining stocks, and his total net worth is less than $5 mil...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

You wont find anything in ron paul's tax records.
Plus almost all this records are public because he is in the congress!
He doesnt talk to lobbyist and probably anymore he has made is from books he wrote. Of which speak about the very things he says on the national stage.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,942,403 times
Just adding to the other things mentioned. He said "if it comes to that". He didn't make a hard line saying he wouldn't release them. I think he may also view it as supporting things he doesn't believe in.

I view the whole "tax" thing as fodder for the "sheeple". It's a pointless divisive tool that amts to a "hill of beans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections