Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Sadly I think he can win. If he does, we are screwed as a nation, but yes he could potentially win.
Oh God, come off it. You all were saying that several years ago, and things are better off now than they were then. They're as good as they can be under the circumstances, and we'd be a hell of a lot better off it idiots hadn't sent these tea party cranks into congress.

You want recovery? Just ban the entire republican party for 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 21,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horses2internet View Post
Here’s recap of Hope and Change since President Obama took office in Jan 2009. Comparing economic indicators starting in Jan 2009 to present day:
1. Federal debt has increased by 43% from $10.6 trillion to $15 trillion.
2. Americans living in poverty have increased by 16% from 39.8 million to 46.2 million.
3. Total unemployment (U6) has increased by 68% from 13.7 million to 23 million.
4. Price of gasoline has increased by 80% from $1.86/gal to $3.35/gal.
5. Americans on food stamps have increased 42% from 31.8 million to 45.2 million.
6. Home foreclosures per year have increased by 34% from 850,000 to 1,140,000.
7. Total bankruptcy filings per year have increased by 42% from 1,117,641 to 1,593,081.
8. Median Household incomes have declined by 4%.
9. Average selling price of new homes has declined by 10%.
10. US dollar compared to foreign currencies has declined by 8.7%. [US dollar index of 85.9 in Jan 2009 to 78.5 in Dec 2011.]
11. US dollar compared to gold has declined 105%. [ $855/ounce to $1750/ounce
I used the link semperparatus posted look up some of the same stats under Bush (using the footnote links)
National Debt 2001: $5.7 trillion to 10.6 in 2009
Monthly cost of food for a family of 4: $718 to $974
Poverty rate: 32.9 to 39.8 million
Price of gas Jan. 2001: $1.47 June 2008: $4.09
Unemployment rate 4.2 in July 2001 to 7.8 in Jan 2009
And really the avg. selling price of a new house (housing bubble?)

Why do so many people have blinders on when it comes to looking at all the facts. This situation didn't pop up over night and pointing it out doesn't make me an Obama-loving left-wing liberal. I'm sick of them all! But, being accused of being envyous and involved in class warfare by the GOP because I feel that the uberrich are unfairly benefitting by the tax code really pi**es me off. I will vote Obama because I really am afraid that the GOP candidates are so right they about fall of the road.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,386,125 times
At this moment the Vegas odds makers have him as a favorite. When they speak I listen...they're in it for the money. But i am going to wait just a little longer to see if there just might be a viable longshot.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,994,129 times
Quote:
What are Obama's chances for a second term?
A better question would be "Is there a chance that Obama WON'T win?" and the answer is "NO, there is NO chance any of the current GOP candidates being able to beat him."

I hear Trump is planning an independent run............won't that be fun.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,821,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Oh God, come off it. You all were saying that several years ago, and things are better off now than they were then. They're as good as they can be under the circumstances, and we'd be a hell of a lot better off it idiots hadn't sent these tea party cranks into congress.

You want recovery? Just ban the entire republican party for 8 years.

Best post of the day

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM

21 posts, read 21,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
A better question would be "Is there a chance that Obama WON'T win?" and the answer is "NO, there is NO chance any of the current GOP candidates being able to beat him."

If Trump runs it'll sure help Obama. If Ron Paul goes independent it'll seal the deal.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
It seems as though he does not have a chance of winning. 4 years ago he went on and on about change and things are worse now then they were. Most people I know say they will not vote for Obama again except for gov workers/bereaucrats.

Young people, gays, African-Americans, and Latinos are still giving him their full support. Working-class Americans are probably leaning Republican but not enough to prevent Obama from winning. Unless something drastically changes, I think its very likely Obama gets a second term.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,263,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlife40 View Post
I used the link semperparatus posted look up some of the same stats under Bush (using the footnote links)
National Debt 2001: $5.7 trillion to 10.6 in 2009
Monthly cost of food for a family of 4: $718 to $974
Poverty rate: 32.9 to 39.8 million
Price of gas Jan. 2001: $1.47 June 2008: $4.09
Unemployment rate 4.2 in July 2001 to 7.8 in Jan 2009
And really the avg. selling price of a new house (housing bubble?)

Why do so many people have blinders on when it comes to looking at all the facts. This situation didn't pop up over night and pointing it out doesn't make me an Obama-loving left-wing liberal.
Don't you know you're not supposed to mention Bush and his eight years of probably the worst presidency in history? And the godawful financial mess he left this country in? The right have somehow managed to forget and/or absolve Bush of any responsibility for the mess he left this country in when he checked out of the White House - the mess he left for his successor to clean up.

It took Bush eight years to f**k everything up but President Obama is supposed to fix it in three.

But don't mention that. Don't bring Bush's name - and his utter failure as a president - into the conversation.

Quote:
I'm sick of them all! But, being accused of being envyous and involved in class warfare by the GOP because I feel that the uberrich are unfairly benefitting by the tax code really pi**es me off. I will vote Obama because I really am afraid that the GOP candidates are so right they about fall of the road.
Yes, and a Romney presidency would continue to benefit the rich - on the backs of the working poor, the people on fixed incomes, and the middle class.

Sweetlife40, I am totally with you. I share your outrage.

OBAMA 2012 !!!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,263,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

Oh, gag me.

The guy makes me seriously want to hurl.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
It seems as though he does not have a chance of winning. 4 years ago he went on and on about change and things are worse now then they were. Most people I know say they will not vote for Obama again except for gov workers/bereaucrats.

I'd say about 50-50 unless there are more serious discoveries about illegal activities (like F & F, etc.). Our nation is divided ideologicaly and there is little common meeting ground. If the Paul supporters boycott the General Election or form a third party that greatly increases the chances of an Obama victory. Much depends on the economy, and Obama will have Bernanke use every smoke and mirrors trick in the book to make the economy appear to improve in the next ten months. The economy may be so bad that even that won't work. We'll see.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-30-2012 at 01:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections