Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,311,584 times

Advertisements

I don't like Romney, but what is wrong with saying the poor already have safty nets to help them?

They aren't going to get more stuff, so the thing a President can do is create oportunity in the market by getting the government out of the way and to of course fire lots of public employees.

Unless they are old, disabled, illegal or mental, there is no reason to stay poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM

9,025 posts, read 13,914,458 times
I don't know how to feel. I have been poor,and now I'm in the middle class,but about to get knocked down again into the poor class.

What he i s saying is that there will always be safety nets for the poor,so they aren't his main concern.
The middle class have no safety nets,and as I learned,in some ways I was better off poor,esp concerning healthcare and taxes. Many of the middle class are one paycheck away or one healthcare disaster away from being poor. So in a sense,if you take care of the middle class now,there will be less poor people in the future who would actually need the entitlement programs.

Sorry,just rambling.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 02-02-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,673,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If Romney had said "I am not concerned about the very poor..." his statement would not have dropped like a ton of bricks.
Actually that is exactly what he said - check the video.

Quote:
He plainly said that he does "not care about the very poor..."
Wrong. Check the video.

Quote:
and while I did understand the point he was trying to make, to call people names for hearing what they did in fact hear is, well, stupid.
Indeed! Apparently some people heard what they wanted to hear. Check the video.

Romney: 'I'm Not Concerned With The Very Poor' - YouTube

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM

25,918 posts, read 16,649,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yesterday, Mitt made the following statement:

"I'm not concerned about the very poor," Romney said. "There's a safety net there, and if it needs repair I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the heart of America, the 95% of Americans who are right now struggling."

Romney says ‘poor’ comment needs context – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Romney expressed a valid point...we have a great many safety nets for the very poor...Medicaid, Section 8, Food Stamps, School Lunch program, WIC, etc, etc. He addresses the issue that many, including many here, express concern over. Specifically the vast majority of people that work for a living and are squeezed by expenses, ect, who make too much to get something from the government.

Yet many in the media and on the left (and the less bright of his GOP competition) seize on the "not concerned about the very poor" comment and take it out of context. How weak-minded are these people? Are they unable to comprehend anything beyond one sentence sound bites? Are they unable to comprehend a simple sentence and context?

This has been on NPR for the last two days, as well as other media sources. Get a frickin' life and learn to read, people, you look like idiots.

BTW, I'm NOT a Romney supporter.
Same here--definitely NOT a Mitt "Crazy Eyes" Romney supporter.

But they are taking what he said out of context.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,477,480 times
I don't think its the point that mitt was trying to make that's the problem.

Its that you have to think about what he said, and the way he said it. Sure, the middle class needs help. Sure, there are social safety nets. But you don't say the words "I'm not concerned about the very poor" when on the campaign trail.

Actually, most of the conservatives I know are more upset about his statement then liberals.

Remember, rush was yacking about this, and he isn't liberal

Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,294,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think Romney is showing himself at not being a well skilled politician. Perhaps he will continue to hurt himself by showing his skill of not thinking before speaking.
You'd think, with all the years of campaigning for office he's had, that he would be a little more polished, wouldn't you?

It's not like he can't afford the best and most expensive advisers and debate coaches.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, why not? He too liberal for you or something? You know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I see that you have the same attitude so typical on this forum. The poor are living like kings at the expense of the middle class. If you studied the analysis and reporting put out by non-partisan think tanks like the Center for Budget and Policy Analysis, among others, you would discover that the situation of America's poor is pretty desperate. And every single program that was created to help them get back on their feet is under attack.

And my, what a short little memory you have. Remember when Congress was dead locked less than 2 months ago? Remember how the problem was that the Republicans refused to allow any spending on social programs? Was Romney there at the forefront rallying the troops in favor of maintaining the rapidly shredding social safety net? Hint: No.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yesterday, Mitt made the following statement:

"I'm not concerned about the very poor," Romney said. "There's a safety net there, and if it needs repair I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the heart of America, the 95% of Americans who are right now struggling."

Romney says ‘poor’ comment needs context – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Romney expressed a valid point...we have a great many safety nets for the very poor...Medicaid, Section 8, Food Stamps, School Lunch program, WIC, etc, etc. He addresses the issue that many, including many here, express concern over. Specifically the vast majority of people that work for a living and are squeezed by expenses, ect, who make too much to get something from the government.

Yet many in the media and on the left (and the less bright of his GOP competition) seize on the "not concerned about the very poor" comment and take it out of context. How weak-minded are these people? Are they unable to comprehend anything beyond one sentence sound bites? Are they unable to comprehend a simple sentence and context?

This has been on NPR for the last two days, as well as other media sources. Get a frickin' life and learn to read, people, you look like idiots.

BTW, I'm NOT a Romney supporter.
I agree. I saw nothing wrong with his comments.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't give a goddam about the poor.

Why? Because it doesn't matter.

The reason the poor are poor is because they have other priorities, like drinking, drugging, abusing their spouse or children, sexually abusing children, watching TV, mucking off, and generally acting stupid in a No Stupid Zone.

I can't do anything about that, and the difference between you and I is that I am wiser and more intelligent than you, because I recognize, understand and freely admit that I cannot do anything to help them.

Moreover, I'm not about to bankrupt the country and bleed Americans dry throwing money at the poor to get them to do something they blatantly refuse to do themselves.

All of the poor regardless of age qualify for a Pell Grant. That's not a loan, it's free money for education. Every State also has a grant program that gives away free money for education.

If the poor refuse to take advantage of the opportunities offered to them, then what in the Hell am I supposed to do? Do you want me to stick a gun to their head and force them to avail themselves of the many tax-payer and private donor funded GED programs available? And then force them to apply for financial aid and force them to get education or training for a better job?

You want me to hold their hand every single step of their lives? Don't buy those lottery tickets, instead use the money to feed your children. Don't buy that beer, instead use the money to buy shoes and clothes for your children. Don't buy that X-Box game, instead use the money to buy prescription medication. Don't buy waste your money on NetFlix and Cable, instead use the money to pay for advanced training to get a better paying job....etc etc etc.

Sorry, I ain't no Stalin.

Just think, for $10, a brown-bag lunch, a parachute and few gallons of JP-4, you can fly the poor to Somalia on a C-130 and kick their goat-smelling asses out the back of the plane, and then you can stop throwing away money on them and you can use that money for other things that benefit more people, especially those who truly are interested in bettering their lives.

Over the last 10 years, you've spent an average of $92,000 per year per "homeless" person, and yet the same people are still "homeless." If people want to laze around and panhandle for money to buy beer and crack, they can do that in Somalia. Or Western Sahara. Or Myanmar. Or Afghanistan. They don't need to be here.

That's okay. It won't be too much longer before you have to choose between feeding and housing yourself and your family, and feeding and housing the "poor."

Choose wisely...

Mircea
Wow. Just WOW.

What a nasty, hateful, miserable person you must be.

I'm afraid to ask you what you think we should do about the poor children - who have no say or power in their lives - but who go to be hungry every night?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,031,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Wow. Just WOW.

What a nasty, hateful, miserable person you must be.

I'm afraid to ask you what you think we should do about the poor children - who have no say or power in their lives - but who go to be hungry every night?
They'd take them out into the forest and leave them, as they did in the Middle Ages. That practice is the origin of "Hansel and Gretel."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections