Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The thing is, one can no longer be certain who will be the nominee. Romney's machine is beginning to show some serious signs of malfunctioning, much like Clinton's machine did in 2008.

The differences between this year and '08 are significant. In 08 there was a sense that something historic and magical was going to happen on the Democratic side. There was a sense that people were witnessing history, and that they had a chance to change history. When the momentum swung in Obama's favor, that reached a fever pitch, with Obama shocking Clinton in race after race.

In this race, I just get the feeling that this will go back and forth like a basketball game. Romney will have some highlights, and so will Santorum, Gingrich, and even Paul. Gingrich will be out of the news for the next week or so but could regain the headlines again with his southern strategy. That won't be significant to Romney, but it will be significant in blunting the momentum of Santorum. There's a serious chance that this could drag itself out to the convention. Meanwhile, Paul voters are going to continue to be an angry and growing nuisance, and might very well openly rebel against the GOP at its convention in August.

In 2008, there was a bitter war between two high profile candidates, but over time it was increasingly clear who had the wider support of the entire democratic party. In this race, though, I don't get that sense at all. I get the sense that this is going to be a war for the heart and soul of the party; a war between establishment and mature pragmatist mainstream Republicans...and unrealistic, fanatical, single-issue conservatives who may just not participate at all if they don't get their way. I think the GOP has a mess on its hands.
Good analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,235,254 times
The problem is the enthusiasm for the GOP candidates. Its no secret republicans want Obama out. They despise him but thats not going to be enough for republicans to win this fall. Look back to 2004. Democrats wanted Bush gone. They hated him so they rallied around John Kerry because they thought he could beat Bush. The problems is that democrats weren't enthusiastic about John Kerry and thats why John Kerry lost in 2004. Other similarities are that John Kerry and Mitt Romney represented Massachusetts and are both seen as elitists who don't understand the problems of ordinary Americans. Romney's comments about the poor didn't help. But Obama appears to be beating all the GOP candidates in battleground states.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,734 times
Awesome! As a Virginia voter, I will do my part in giving Obama four more years!

President Obama will forever be remembered as the president who had to clean up the foreign policy, economic, and domestic mess left by his GOP predecessor.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,736,741 times
Yes, this is great news. President Obama has turned this country around in less than four years...amazing ! Job well done !

OBAMA 2012 !!!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Look back to 2004. Democrats wanted Bush gone. They hated him so they rallied around John Kerry because they thought he could beat Bush. The problems is that democrats weren't enthusiastic about John Kerry and thats why John Kerry lost in 2004.
Good point, and you describe me to a T. I and many others were supremely confident that Bush would lose, and I backed Kerry primarily because he seemed to be the most electable of the Democrats running. I was sorely surprised that Bush was re-elected, which tempered my confidence in reading the political winds. Today, I see many conservatives making the same mistake.

But what else can they do at this point? Put all their weight behind one of the not-Romneys and hope the GOP is energized?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Awesome! As a Virginia voter, I will do my part in giving Obama four more years!

President Obama will forever be remembered as the president who had to clean up the foreign policy, economic, and domestic mess left by his GOP predecessor.
No he will be remembered for not keeping his campaign promises and stripping us of our rights by signing the NDAA into law.
btw I am also a voter in Virginia

Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,467 times
I think Jill Stern might take enough votes away from Obama including mine to give the state to Romney.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,679,588 times
I respect and value both sides AND everyone's opinion. I am not a Republican. I am not a Democrat. I spent many recent years working for a top Democrat in the Senate. I voted for Obama.

But I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can say Obama has "turned the economy around"? That statement actually shocks me. Since the day he took command, Obama has spent, on average, $4 Billion PER DAY (vs. Bushs $1.6). Obama borrows 45% of all monies spent. This country is continuing to go down in a tailspin. The recent job reports up? Do you realize those numbers don't include the U-6 (people who are forced to work p/t vs f/t) numbers and the reality of the current unemployment is above 15%? How can you support your statement of "turning the economy around"?

While our country is struggling, the rate of homelessness (especially children) has skyrocketed since Obama took over? And this is all while he is handing money out to failing companies like Solyndra and sending $2B to an oil company in Brazil?

What scares me the most is people make a decision on election day based upon an overinflated employment report and not really realizing that our President is ruining this country single-handedly. Even his Vice President has pleaded with him to not force the catholic church (hospitals, private schools, etc) to pay for contraception, the morning after pill, etc. He is flat out going against the constitution..The supreme law that governs this country.

How can you vote him back in for another term? I wish more people would stop voting "because they are democrats" or "because they are republicans." I don't know who I am voting for yet, but I do know that this current President cannot serve another term.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In 2008 Obama was the first democrat to carry Virginia, since Lyndon B Johnson and now he is leading Romney. Bad news for Romney

Obama leads Romney in Virginia poll - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Unfortunately, the poll (conducted by Quinnipiac University) throws percentages around like manhole covers. They only surveyed 1,544 "likely voters."

The real question is, how much extrapolation can you deal with before the poll becomes meaningless?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
No he will be remembered for not keeping his campaign promises and stripping us of our rights by signing the NDAA into law.
btw I am also a voter in Virginia

Sorry to break the news, but Ron Paul will NEVER be the GOP nominee for president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections