Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,409,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We have seen each state with a significant mormon popul vote overwhelmingly for romney. Yet, when blacks vote for Obama, they are scapegoated and ridiculed.
What I tend to think is more interesting is why do people criticize black people for voting Democratic, based on the 19th and early 20th century racist Democratic party, but do not criticize Mormons for voting Republican based on the fact that the Republican party was virulently anti-Mormon during the 19th and early 20th century.

Now that is what I want to know, but I tend to think it is because the people arguing it are GOP hacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,079,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
What I tend to think is more interesting is why do people criticize black people for voting Democratic, based on the 19th and early 20th century racist Democratic party, but do not criticize Mormons for voting Republican based on the fact that the Republican party was virulently anti-Mormon during the 19th and early 20th century.

Now that is what I want to know.
I can't speak for the mormon part, but blacks vote for democrats because the republicans are seen as the racist party now. The Democrats may have been the racist party 50 years ago, but its now the republican party that has the reputation.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,409,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'll be happy to criticize both.

I think Obama gets a bit more one-sided benefit from his own demographic bias. Not only does he benefit by getting most of the black vote, he also doesn't have the downside among non-blacks.

It is an unspeakable evil to vote against Barack Obama purely because you are not black. You see, it is no longer fashionable to hate/fear/demonize black people. Those racist groups out there who do it anyway are more than drowned out by the white guilt vote.

Romney isn't so lucky. From what I've seen, he does not get quite the overwhelming support from the Mormon base percentage-wise and Barack gets among blacks. Barack will most likely pull 90% or more of the black vote while Romney will get only about 65% of the Mormon vote.

And the downside to his religion is much more significant than any benefit because it absolutely is still fashionable to hate/fear/demonize Mormons -- though it does seem to be diminishing somewhat. So he gains a strong majority of the vote among the 1% of Americans that are Mormons. If he loses even 5% of the remaining 99% of the American vote to his Mormonism, it's still a massive net loss.

So Obama comes out way ahead by getting 90% of the 13% of America that is black with no counterbalancing downside.
Oh there is definitely a counterbalancing downside. Why do you think Obama beat Kerry's numbers by a lot nationwide, but under performed him in Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,753,485 times
Quote:
Oh there is definitely a counterbalancing downside. Why do you think Obama beat Kerry's numbers by a lot nationwide, but under performed him in Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas
You are likely right about those states. What I'm referencing is something I ran into a lot last election: People voting for Obama because they thought it would be racist not to. I was amazed at how many people did that.

I voted for Obama because the GOP made a trainwreck of out nation. I'm voting against him this year because he made it worse and not better. Massive over-summarizing there, but you get the idea.

I do think it's unethical to give your vote to whoever is the most demographically similar to you, but it's a reality that's been around for a long time. That's why presidential candidates tend to usually win their home state.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,753,485 times
Quote:

Now that is what I want to know, but I tend to think it is because the people arguing it are GOP hacks.
I'm equally puzzled by this, though I think the Mormon vote is becoming a lot more evenly divided between the parties and I think hearing Republicans spouting anti-Mormon hate garbage will accelerate that eventuality. Mormons used to be almost entirely Democrats from the 1800's through about 1950. I think the abortion and similar issues are the biggest roadblocks for them to leave the GOP for the Democratic party.

The Mormons staying mostly Republican is a lot like a woman staying with a husband who beats her every day, but manages to convince herself she should stay with him. It's extremely puzzling.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
The reason why blacks are criticized for voting for Obama is because its a convient excuse, for Obama haters, to point to why Obama won in 2008 and might win in 2012. Blacks have voted for Democrats for last 30 years, but that is ignored by republicans.
of course blacks generally vote Democratic and no one is ignoring that. It wasn't a Republican that started this thread, it normally isn't a Republican that brings up the race issue period. The situation in 2008 is simply more blcaks (not a higher percentage that much) voted than usual. And yes, they did it because a black man was running. There is nothing wrong with this unless they did it simply because of that issue. As for 2012 I would bet the turnout for blacks is much lower. BTW, people who talk about who voted for whom or why are not necessarily haters. I think most realize there was a couple reasons he won in 2008. Yes, blacks voting for him helped, but the Republicans had a weak candidate, the Bush's less than favorable reputation and the economy all played a part. No candidate wins or loses based on one issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,270,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure what you say about blacks is true, but if so, I can tihink of a couple of reasons: 1-many blacks who voted for Obama had probably never even voted before and 2-many voted for him, just because he was black, most Mormons will vote for Romney, partially because he is a Mormon, but mostly because they think he is the best candidate and they are known for always voting. That could play a part.

Nita
All elections have new voters that are energized by a specific candidate.

Amazing how you found a way to give Mormons a pass.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All elections have new voters that are energized by a specific candidate.

Amazing how you found a way to give Mormons a pass.
candidates do energize new voters from time to time but in some cases more than in others. Obama energized the very young, I think the visualized another Kennedy even if they really knew nothing about Kennedy: Blacks normally vote Democrat but in 2008 more voted than usual. That was my point and you know it. I was not giving Mormons a pass, it is known they do vote Republican most of the time and they do vote period. You certainly realize don't you, there are certain groups that vote more often than other groups. This is not giving anyone a pass and I am not knocking blacks for suppoting Obama either. i do think many did vote simply becaause Obama had a change to be the first black pres. There are women who would have voted for Hillary because she was a women and there are those who would not vote for McCain because he choose a conservative women as his VP. Many women have problems with conservative women..This isn't meant to put anyone down, if is the way we humans think sometimes. Or better, the way we sometimes do not think.

Nita

Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,841,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We have seen each state with a significant mormon popul vote overwhelmingly for romney. Yet, when blacks vote for Obama, they are scapegoated and ridiculed.
Religion is a belief, it is perfectly normal to vote for someone with a similar belief system. Who votes for someone who does not share their views. Why would we want people to vote according to their skin color?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,577,912 times
I'll have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that more blacks voted in the 2008 election than any other Presidential election in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections